Profile for Jiminy > Reviews

Content by Jiminy

Jiminy "Spectral Mornings" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Steer In The Night: Live
Steer In The Night: Live

5.0 out of 5 stars Just SO good, 5 Dec 2014
Just tremendous! I have an on/off relationship with folk, being a snooty classical and greasy rock type of guy, but with this band its straight on/on! Its the quality of the songwriting but also the wonderful sound of the two string players that really make it. No need to hesitate with that back catalogue, or with the purchase button!

Walking the Alps from Mediterranean to Adriatic
Walking the Alps from Mediterranean to Adriatic

4.0 out of 5 stars God's own country, 22 Oct 2014
Really interesting account of a wonderful trip

I followed my man to Lausanne: a tale about moving to Switzerland
I followed my man to Lausanne: a tale about moving to Switzerland

1.0 out of 5 stars shame, 16 Sep 2014
Difficult reading . Despite what were I'm absolutely sure were the best of intentions, it's a fairly lugubrious book - full of disappointment and lacking any joy. Doesn't tell you much about Switzerland and not much about the Author either, I don't think. Worthy, but not a lot of laughs.

Lecons De Tenebres: Office Du Mecredi Saint
Lecons De Tenebres: Office Du Mecredi Saint

5.0 out of 5 stars Dazzling, 2 Feb 2014
Gerard Lesne did 3 albums of Charpentier's Tenebrae some years ago. They are dazzling; Charpentier is as great as Purcell, and Lesne is as great as anyone, ever. Jaw-dropping, life-changing stuff. I don't have the words......

Sabine Devieilhe/Rameau: Le Grand Theatre De L'amour
Sabine Devieilhe/Rameau: Le Grand Theatre De L'amour

5.0 out of 5 stars Teriffic, 8 Jan 2014
Astonishing playing, singing and sublime music. Just jawdroppingly good. I dithered over buying this, so you don't need to; if you have any affinity with even the most well known Rameau, Devieilhe will let you listen again.

Luther: Songs And Score From Series 1, 2 & 3 (O.S.T.)
Luther: Songs And Score From Series 1, 2 & 3 (O.S.T.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Englishby! Genius!, 28 Dec 2013
Yes, ok, the pop and rock tracks are cool, they fit the show and all that. But its the Englishby that really puts the thrills into the thriller here; must be so hard to write original music like this. He has written music for the Royal Shakespeare Company too, and so obviously knows how to write meaningful incidental music. I hope we hear more of him!

First Man: The Life of Neil Armstrong
First Man: The Life of Neil Armstrong
by James R. Hansen

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of detail, 23 Dec 2013
I agree with other reviewers, in that Hansen sticks every fact imaginable about Armstrong in his volume; that occasionally gives the book an air of a catalogue biography. Perhaps that's the result of the subject's famed reticence, although Hansen says he had full access; perhaps there was pressure to give the First Man the Last Word.

It really peps up though, as Apollo 11 starts, naturally enough. These pages onwards are fantastic; the final pages are slightly distressing in the reporting of cranks, autograph fascists and other people who forgot that he was a private man.

Good, then, slightly turgid occasionally. But, Neil Armstrong..... what a great man!

Christmas Songs (Swedish And International Christmas Songs)
Christmas Songs (Swedish And International Christmas Songs)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 13 Dec 2013
Really enjoyable, and the soprano is fantastic, especially on track 1. All a bit different - 2 stars for a review is ludicrous!

My Life on Mars: (The Beagle 2 Diaries)
My Life on Mars: (The Beagle 2 Diaries)
by Colin Pillinger

3.0 out of 5 stars two sides to every story?, 6 Oct 2013
I admire Prof. Pillinger; I admire all he's done, I like hearing him speak.

I was looking forward to reading the Diaries, but came away slightly dissapointed. The acronyms are endless - and even though there is an acronym glossary, I just got lost. But rather than a focus on Beagle 2, the book is a catalogue of who screwed the project over, and to what degree....he really seems to put everyone's back up, and I mean EVERYONE.

So a bit more about the science, and bit less score settling would have made it a 4-star for me.

And here's hoping that whichever Martian sponsored by the ESA is sitting on Beagle, preventing it transmitting, SHIFTS ITSELF, eh?

I know Prof. Pillinger is battling MS - I wish him well. He is certainly not one of life's quitters. 2/3 of Mars missions fail - so anyone apportioning blame is wrong.

THE GREAT MOTOR HIGHWAYS OF THE ALPS.
THE GREAT MOTOR HIGHWAYS OF THE ALPS.
by Hugh. Merrick

5.0 out of 5 stars roads of joy, 13 April 2013
Anyone with the slightest interest in the Alps will love this. Its out of date, but that dated-ness is the joy. Hugh Merrick had the Alps engrained on his soul, and if anyone was to write a book of this kind, it's him.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3