Profile for piccolaali > Reviews

Daughters Of Eden: The Eden Series Book 1
Daughters Of Eden: The Eden Series Book 1
by Charlotte Bingham

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner..., 23 Sep 2014
One of the best war-time spy/romance/adventure books I've read in a long time. A myriad of diverse characters come together as four young women and those they meet along their paths - each with their own stories of sadness, tragedy, love and courage, exciting twists and turns, during a time in our history, which we can never possibly fully comprehend how it was to live through, but only look back upon with admiration at what people were willing to do to keep Britain free from occupation.

If only someone could make this into a TV drama...! (though you can see the real life story behind some of this book in the C4 documentary "Churchill and the Fascist Plot").

Can't wait to read The House of Flowers, which continues the story.

Dorwest Herbs Milk Thistle Tablets for Dogs and Cats 100 Tablets
Dorwest Herbs Milk Thistle Tablets for Dogs and Cats 100 Tablets

1.0 out of 5 stars Made cat sick, 22 Jun 2014
My cat vomited within a few hours of being given a Dorwest milk thistle tablet, so will not be using them again! It seems from other reviews, that dogs take better to this than cats.

The Opera Ghost Unraveled
The Opera Ghost Unraveled
by Michelle Rodriguez

4.0 out of 5 stars Passionate!, 24 May 2014
This is an enjoyable and well-written book, which delves deeply into the physical and emotional relationship that develops between Christine and the Phantom. However, this book focuses entirely on Christine and the Phantom with very little interaction between other well-known characters from this famous tale. Raoul does of course appear now and then, but his personality is irritating and not entirely convincing. Meg pops up on occasion too and there's the odd remark from Carlotta, but that's pretty much it! Having said that, if you relish the intensity and passion of Phantom/Christine scenes (which I have to say I do!), then this is the book for you. My only real criticism would be that I wished the author had found another expression for "mismatched eyes" - I lost count how many times it was used!

Chanson De L'Ange:  The Bleeding Rose (Book 1)
Chanson De L'Ange: The Bleeding Rose (Book 1)
by Paisley Swan Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent 640 page read!, 14 Jun 2012
This book is a masterpiece and an absolute must for Phantom fans. I had been searching for a good while to find a novel that could satisfy and answer questions I had, that could make the story seem believable and could tell the tale in a profoundly beautiful, sensitive and deserving manner.

The Bleeding Rose exquisitely achieves all of this and more, as it commences from the moment a 10-year old Christine loses her father and is taken under Madame Giry's wing. We discover how she became to be tutored by the Phantom, why he is so drawn to her and why he later commits the crimes he does. As the years pass and the relationship between the Phantom and Christine slowly and naturally develops, the private moments shared between them are magnetic and intense; so poignantly, touchingly and convincingly written that you feel every moment of passion and pain, every sense of joy and sorrow, every tear and heartbeat. Not one single moment is rushed, as I had found in other Phantom books, but is meticulously and intimately penned.

Throughout the book, we also understand more about Madame Giry and her tale, Meg and of course not forgetting Raoul, and how Christine and he met as children. Their fluctuating romance is portrayed thoughtfully, so that we can empathise and understand as Christine is constantly torn between him and the Phantom.

I would highly recommend this book, not just because I love the Phantom narrative, but also because Paisley Swan Stewart's writing is sheer perfection. I truly didn't want the story to end! However, I have delightfully learned there will soon be a Part 3 (which follows on from this volume and completes the tale). This Part 1 book has been revised into Parts 1 and 2, but apparently it's not necessary to purchase them if you already have this book (or are considering buying it).

The Phantom Returns
The Phantom Returns
by Stefanie Cole
Edition: Perfect Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Sequel to the Phantom of the Opera, 21 Nov 2011
The Phantom Returns takes us on a journey from when Christine chose Raoul, and the Phantom disappeared. After watching the 2004 film version I was left wanting more, wondering "what if", what happened next, why did Christine make that choice... This book resolves all these questions and more!

The elusive Phantom makes many more delightfully dramatic and sexually charged appearances. Several new characters are also introduced, along with our old favourites - it would've made an impressive and exciting film sequel.

My only criticism is that the book is not long enough and some of the writing seemed a little "rushed" for a such a tragic and moving love story. Other than that, this is a very enjoyable sequel, it has the ending I had hoped for and I would definitely recommend it.

Note - this book is quite expensive on here, but I bought mine through amazon.ca, though amazon.com also has cheaper copies available.

Prodigal Summer
Prodigal Summer
by Barbara Kingsolver

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure poetry.., 5 Aug 2005
This review is from: Prodigal Summer (Hardcover)
From the moment I opened the first page and began reading this masterpiece by Barbara Kingsolver, I was completely captivated by the beauty of her words. She effortlessly combines three stories into one, linking each with delicate threads. This book is apt for today, touching upon the tragedies that humanity has brought to the natural world, but at the same time delighting in the small wonders (from moths to mushrooms) that are with us each day. Barbara Kingsolver's keen observation of flora and fauna and the interaction of humans is delightful. This is a book to read over and over, on a warm summer's evening with the swallows overhead or a rainy morning snuggled up in bed!

Hard Times (Wordsworth Classics)
Hard Times (Wordsworth Classics)
by Charles Dickens

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece!, 19 Nov 2003
This is not just a story about the injustices and inequalities between rich and poor. True, the book does discuss these points, but Dickens also admirably portrays family relationships and how they can effect us in our future lives. Mr Gradgrind (schoolteacher who believes only in fact) gives his daughter, Louisa, to a loveless marriage with the proud factory owner of an industrial town. Being educated solely in fact, and discouraged from dreaming or fantasizing, she finds herself falling deeper and deeper into a well of sadness. It is only after trial that she is able to confront her father and together they are able to resolve her sadness. Without giving too much of the story away, many other relationship difficulties are brought up: brother and sister, parents, a jealous spinster, and a mother and son. For some these may not be the obvious points in the book, but if you search beyond the bleakness of the unjust victorian industry, they shine above all. In my opinion, this book (much like the others) shows Dickens's great ability at understanding human nature and writing stories around this, often in a humorous way, to make us see how we can improve ourselves within our families and make the choices that we really want.

Bambi [Disney 1942] [VHS]
Bambi [Disney 1942] [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Bambi, 19 Nov 2003
The first time I saw this film as a child I cried. 25 years on, watching it for the second time, I cried again. Such is the beauty and power of Walt Disney's classic film which is, without a doubt, a masterpiece. The animation is wonderful (in the days before computers), the animals adorable and the music moving. Walt Disney was able to portray the life of a deer in the forest in such a simple, yet truly touching way, that it parallels the lives of us all growing up and learning about good and bad. One picture very clear from the film is how we, mankind, are seen to be destructive and outside of nature (you will see how well Disney showed this by change of music, colour and words such as "Man...has entered the forest"). But... nature always wins in the end. Watch, enjoy and hopefully be moved by Disney's magical masterpiece.