Profile for Unrqbt > Reviews

Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow
Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Best new author for some time, 9 Jun 2013
I downloaded this book due to all the amazing reviews and I needed something to read on a 10 hour flight. I had intended to start reading for about the first hour and then watch some films..... as the pilot announced that we were starting our descent I realised what an amazing book this was!

The back story to the release of this book makes it even better for me. The fact that he released the story himself and only got picked up by a publisher after the massive word of mouth campaign just highlights how good the story is.

I have been reading science fiction/fantasy books for over 30 years and have read all (what I consider!) the greats; Tolkein, Hobbs, Eddings, Erickson, Gemmell and many others and I can honestly say that the character description and detail is as good as any of them. The one thing I look for in good fantasy books is a strong main character that you can believe in and has a continuity all the way through the book. He gives you this and some!

There are lots of small twists and turns and a number of half truths that keep the reader interested the whole way through and also make me count the days until the second book is released. This really is a fresh twist on peasant boy becomes most powerful man in world and is more along the lines of boy grows up to reluctantly accept the gifts he has been given. To me the most amazing thing is how quickly he throws you into the main story and how he maintains the continuity of the decisions and actions by the main character the whole way through the book.

This is the first review I have written on here as I believe the book is just that good. If you are looking for your new fantasy trilogy, look no further.... even if you aren't looking, still buy this book you won't be disappointed!