Profile for W. F. Hendry > Reviews

Content by W. F. Hendry

W. F. Hendry "Bill Hendry" (Isle of Lewis, Scotland)

SHOWTIME [DVD]
SHOWTIME [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel O' Donnell
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Daniel O'Donnell Showtime in America, 17 Nov 2009
This review is from: SHOWTIME [DVD] (DVD)
I sometimes think that Daniel can be overwhelmed by a massive audience in a huge concert hall and I yearn for the good old days when he appeared with his original small band.
But he carries this concert off well, with half the Springfield Symphony Orchestra to back him up, as well as his own band with many of the original very talented players.
The symphony orchestra brings a brass section that adds quality to the spanish flavoured songs such as "Rosa Rio" and the string section provides very lush backing. Of course, the program contains many American songs to appeal to this transatlantic audience and this works well. His duets with Mary Duff are superb, I think this is his best performance of "Whispering Hope" where the harmonies are divine. "Daddy was an old time preacher man" is another attractive duet with Mary Duff that set the audience beating time. I can strongly recommend this as sufficiently different to add to one's D O'D collection though I would have a book to hand to pass the time while listening to the full program which runs to over one and a half hours.

Around the World with Foster & Allen [DVD] [2007]
Around the World with Foster & Allen [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Foster & Allen
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Around the world with Foster & Allen, 17 Nov 2009
Much as I love Foster and Allen, I found this to be a bit "bitty" with sections from their travels in England, Scotland, America, Australia as well as opening and closing with Ireland. "Give the woman in the bed more porter" and "Sergeant Murphy" are hilarious but I did not find too much that was new or stimulationg in the rest. There is a lovely snippet playing with their band on stage in Scotland linking a number of old favourites.

Foster And Allen: A Postcard From Ireland [DVD]
Foster And Allen: A Postcard From Ireland [DVD]
Dvd ~ Foster & Allen
Price: 8.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Foster & Allen - A Post Card from Ireland, 16 Nov 2009
I liked this album so much that I bought a second copy and sent it to my daughter for her birthday. There are stunning views from all over Ireland, accompanied by many of their old classics and some songs that I had not heard before. The tone is light and entertaining throughout, with some wildly hilarious moments. I would strongly recommend this for family Christmas entertainment.