Profile for Dymphna > Reviews

2100 Haematite Dark Grey All Saints Bracelet. Jesus Catholic Religion New
Offered by BagPurse
Price: 1.25

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for...., 26 July 2014
You get what you pay for!

This looks like a painted bracelet in the picture. In fact, the pictures are actually STICKERS!! - just cheap little stickers, not even very carefully applied!

But I guess it is very cheap, and its the Saints' images and veneration that counts, not the quality of the rendering...?

Biopac Biodegradable Sugarcane Bowls 16oz - Pack of 125 | Biodegradable Bowls, Paper Bowls, Picnic Bowls
Offered by Drinkstuff
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy -good quality - strong, microwaveable, biodegradable, 26 July 2014
These are great! Theyre recyclable, compostable, a good size, fantastic for parties, or (as I use them for) - taking into work rather than constantly having one's crockery/cutlery used then not washed up - stolen - broken etc. Rather than getting cross (I am a bit OCD and get very irritated by other people touching/using/washing/not washing my stuff!!), I instead now just keep a supply of these in my desk along with a bag of plastic spoons! - Can be microwaved, so can do soup, noodles, Ready Brek. Or can have muesli, cereal, fruit salad... Its just so much easier, and then I can either put them in the Paper recycling box, or on the compost heap.

Also quite handy for dieting - for portion control. There are several sizes available so you can choose your portion size and stick to it whilst dieting.

A really handy purchase.

Jungle Formula Maximum 50ml Roll On
Jungle Formula Maximum 50ml Roll On
Offered by Pharmacy Place
Price: 6.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product - helped protect against several types of flying insects, 26 July 2014
bought for my son who went to Morocco, where he was advised Malaria isnt such a problem, but painful mosquito bites and wasp stings are...
his friends all took 20% deet or 'natural alternative' products and got absolutely pestered by wasps, hornets, mozzies and even horseflies!
My son put this on before going outside in the morning, didnt need to reapply for ages, and only got one bite in the whole week. He also said it didnt smell anywhere near as bad as he had been expecting. it is sticky, and you have to be careful not to get it on your flip flops or sunglasses - or anywhere near your eyes - but he found it relatively easy to use and very effective.

Memento Mori (VMC)
Memento Mori (VMC)
by Muriel Spark
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly, deliciously dread-ful, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Memento Mori (VMC) (Paperback)
This is a wickedly sharp and shrewd little book. Absolutely skewers her characters to the page - it's macabre, merciless and enormously enjoyable. Spark's economy and acuity are astonishing - for such a contained, controlled performance there are an awful lot of ideas going on here. Meditations on mortality, morality, friendship, art, work, class and marriage - all in a few, exquisitely pleasurably chapters. The characters are undeniable, the dialogue spot on.

A wonderful book - if you like Hilary Mantel, you should adore Spark. I bought a few of Sparks novels recently because I wanted to try and find a few more female writers I could enjoy besides Mantel, Murdoch, Atwood, Drabble, Weldon. All my absolute favourite writers, aside from Mantel, seem to be men - as a woman, I feel this is perverse, and I am seeking to rectify it. I think I can definitely add Spark to the list. Her ruthless little books fit very neatly into the little modern-gothic niche in my heart's bookshelf!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2014 7:57 PM BST

Sterimar  Allergies and Sinusitis Nasal Hygiene Nasal Spray 100ml
Sterimar Allergies and Sinusitis Nasal Hygiene Nasal Spray 100ml
Price: 6.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Relief for stuffy, allergic, blocked or sore nostrils, 26 July 2014
I am so glad I discovered the concept of these nasal saline sprays. I have suffered with a stuffy nose ever since my health started to fail due to hypothyroidism and arthritis. I get very sore eyes and a stuffy dry nose. I was using decongestant sprays constantly and they start to not work anymore.

So I thought Id give these sorts of spray a try - so glad I did! This is one of the best. Really good nozzle - easy to use, and the saline is gentle (doesnt sting at all) but really soothes and refreshes your nose.

yYou can either use a small amount just to soothe and moisturise, or you can use a larger amount to sort of irrigate or wash out your nostrils. Either way its a great way to treat congestion, allergies or sinusitis.

Ambi Pur 3Volution Plug In Refill Twin Pack Lavender Sensation 40 ml
Ambi Pur 3Volution Plug In Refill Twin Pack Lavender Sensation 40 ml
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely floral, fresh, lingering scents, 26 July 2014
I am absolutely addicted to this refill's fragrances. They don''t smell anything like the old-fashioned Lavender you remember your Great Aunt Laetitia smelling of forty years ago! Nor of lavender furniture polish!

They smell like a warm summer's day in a meadow or herbaceous border. There's a sort of lilac-ish scent to one of them, another has a warm vanilla-ish undertone (and I usually loathe vanilla but this isn't sickly sweet or heady - just warm and soothing).

They are good and strong too, plenty of air-freshening power. If you have them on Maximum for 12 hours a day one refill lasts 2 months, so on subscribe+save they are really good value.

STV148 - ULTRA POWER MOUSE TRAPS - TWINPACK
STV148 - ULTRA POWER MOUSE TRAPS - TWINPACK
Price: 4.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and Did the job!, 26 July 2014
Also see review for Big Cheese Mouse and Rat Attractant - I invited a mouse in by stupidly leaving my back door open to get some fresh air during these stiflingly hot nights. He was quite brazen - wandering around day and night, scratching at the skirting boards, and was especially fond of the cupboard under the sink. So after several sleepless nights chasing it around trying to shoo it out, I ordered these traps. I put them down for one night, with no result. Then read the instructions and it says for best results refresh the bait wells with their Bait or Attractant. So I sent off for the Bait, received the Attractant in error - but no matter, because having added a dollop of the Attractant to a trap and put it inside the cupboard - four hours later - SNAP!! - Result!

Unfortunately the mouse was a bit of a butch muscle mouse cos he was still alive and thrashing around despite it coming down on his neck as designed - so I had to make a decision what to do, not very pleasant. After looking on a few websites the choices seemed to be: putting it in the freezer; hitting head with a hammer; taking head off with a meat cleaver; or drowning. I chose the latter. It took 2 minutes and although it wasnt pleasant, at least I knew I was ending the pain and terror for him.

All in All I would recommend these traps. They're really cheap - free delivery as an add-on as well - Very easy to set up (takes 2 seconds) and they worked for me!

They can be reused if you like, but I couldnt face wrangling the dead mouse out of the trap, washing it, etc. At 1 per trap, I think its more hygienic to just throw the trap away with the mouse still in it. (Double-bagged of course).

Happy hunting

The Big Cheese STV163 Mouse & Rat Attractant Trap Bait
The Big Cheese STV163 Mouse & Rat Attractant Trap Bait
Offered by Murrell Trading
Price: 4.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked within 4 hours! Very pleased - even though it wasnt exactly what I ordered!, 26 July 2014
Was sent this product in error - had ordered the 15g Trap Bait, slighter cheaper product, however not worth sending back as it does basically the same thing.
I had stupidly left my back door open during this hot weather cos I just couldnt sleep and needed fresh air ... of course, along with the fresh air came a mouse who happily explored all over the sitting-room, kitchen, under the fridge, and (especially) the cupboard under the sink, for some reason. So I sent off for the big Cheese twin pack ultra power traps (2! and free delivery as an add-on!) Set them out but nothing happened, but it did say on the box to refresh the bait for best results. So I sent off for the Trap Bait, got this Attractant instead. Decided to use it rather than whinge and fuss about an exchange. And within 4 hours of using it... Result!!!!

One large house mouse (thank goodness - i didnt want to have killed a field mouse) - who, incredibly, was still alive and struggling.Which surprised me cos the trap had come down on his neck in exactly the right place - he must have been a real hard-man mouse.

For anyone else who has the same experience, here's what I did: after a bit of a panicky dither, I put on rubber gloves, retreived the trap with mouse still trapped, and decided to put him out of his mousy misery by drowning him in a washing up bowl full of water - I held him down, still in the trap, and it only took about 2 minutes. I then put him and the trap together, into a carrier bag, which I then tightly and securely double-bagged, and put in the wheely-bin along with the rubber gloves.

So I would say this product worked really well for mice. I can't say whether or not it'd work for rats... For rats I think you're better off calling a pest control company rather than fooling around trying to sort it out yourself.

I then

The Big Cheese 15g Trap Bait
The Big Cheese 15g Trap Bait
Price: 3.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Was sent different product, 26 July 2014
Im putting a 3 star review because I ordered 15g Trap Bait (this product) - but received Mouse and Rat Attractant, which isnt quite the same thing - different dispenser for a start, which was the main reason for ordering this item. I notice someone else had the same experience - and probably like me, decided its not worth complaining/returning/asking for exchange etc... but thought id leave a review so that maybe someone will sort out the warehouse issue/picking sheet typo/whatever

1985
1985
by Anthony Burgess
Price: 7.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Incisive political gem written at a pivotal moment in British history, 22 July 2014
This review is from: 1985 (Paperback)
Sharp Orwellian analysis - and a dark vision of what might have been. Burgess is never less than searingly intelligent and utterly original, and no less so in this book. However, as pointed out by Charlie (below) it is absolutely essential to remember the situation when the book was written.
In the 60s and 70s the Labour party was totally in thrall to the unions - that isnt a partisan view, its a fact: First Kinnock, through to Blair, that power had painfully and publicly to be wrested from the Scargills of the union leadership who absolutely beleived in 100% unionisation. The 3-day week, the Winter of Discontent were absolute reality and caused chaos for ordinary people who the Labour party were supposed to represent. So Burgess was issuing a warning about the logical result of continuing to blindly endorse radical unionist policies.
He was also issuing a clarion call to those within the Labour movement (myself, in the 80s) who were uneasy at supporting radical socialism and postmodern philosophy - what today is sometimes tagged 'PC gone mad'. Labour were losing election after election through the 1980's and early 90's for exactly that reason! So - again, burgess was proved absolutely spot on.

He is pointing out that when a party prioritisies Ideology over reality, firstly the people lose out - then, the party loses.

A fascinating read for anyone who lived through the transformation of the Labour party during the 1970s - 1990s, for anyone who is interested in politics generally. My son is now reading Politics at Uni and I had forgotten about this little gem so will be ordering it for him!

Its also, of course, a good read for anyone at all, because the clear-sighted, viciously sharp wit, intelligence and all-round excellence of anything written by Burgess is a tonic, full-stop. Just think, when you had panel shows like Question Time in the 70s and 80s, you got people like Burgess, Waugh, Amis pater, et al ... Now who do we get. Some chick-lit harebrain spouting platitudes. Or people issuing vileness on twit-ter to dons like Mary Beard. The victory of liberalism and empiricism isnt won yet!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5