Profile for Glenn Cook > Reviews

Content by Glenn Cook
Top Reviewer Ranking: 10

Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
SOLEMEMO Compact Portable Mini 4.0 NFC Bluetooth Wireless Home Audio Speaker With Built-In Mic & Speakerphone, Wireless Hifi Hands-free Outdoor Stereo Bass sound for iPads, Android tablets, PCs, Macs, PSPs, cell phones from Apple, Samsung, Nokia, HTC, Blackberry, etc.(Black)
Offered by Solememo

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mighty Atom of a Speaker with Looks to Kill., 22 Dec 2014
A Mighty Atom of a Speaker with Looks to Kill.
Like a whole slew of reviewers I was kindly sent this Bluetooth speaker by the manufacturer for review.

My fellow reviewers have covered all the bases (bass) on this speaker so I will try to fill in the gaps so to speak.

Solemo are a good company that produce well designed, well made products with good gurantees.

This is a wonderful looking device.
It comes in a small, neat, black, diamond textured, flip top lidded box.
The box is of the type that would contain a high end watch or a piece of expensive jewellery.

The box has the logo OUPOPO in a smart silver, logo font.

This would be sure to please anyone who receives this as a gift.
Now don't dismiss this aspect.

If it's a gift the first thing to make an impression is the look.
This looks expensive and quality so you've made a wonderful first impression.

This look and feel of quality is repeated with the contents.

Out of the box it is tiny as big as an eggcup in matt black with that smart OUPOPO repeated again silver.
It looks elegant and would fit in anywhere.

Despite it's dinky size it packs a punch that amazes you.
Blue tooth so you can connect it up to any blue toothed(?) device like phone, laptop, tablets or whatever.

The speaker feels quality. It has a reassuring heavy feel and packs 3 W of power.
A mighty Atom of a speaker.
I say heavy but it is so small that it is light as well.
Great for the overhead cabin bag on a flight.

It's Bluetooth version 4. and CSR so it delivers more power for less charge.

My co reviewers reckon a charging time of 1 and half hours will get you 8 hours of play.

Like a lot of devices there is a mic socket so you can, if you wish, take calls on your mobile.

Pairing up is no problem and very simple- all you need is experience or a large magnifying class to read the type of the instructions provided.

I have attempted to cover some of the ground my co reviewers have not but I can say the sound of this device is pretty impressive and I see I am not the only reviwer that thinks so.
Recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2014 12:35 AM GMT

Atlas Laces : Elastic Shoelaces w. Lock - Enhanced Comfort and Unmatched Convenience - Featuring Innovative Athlete-Friendly No Tie Design - Perfect for marathon/triathlon runners, trainers, kids, the elderly etc. **12 MONTH SATISFACTION GUARANTEE** - Black
Offered by Atlas Athlete

5.0 out of 5 stars Deceptively Simple Yet Work Amazingly Well., 22 Dec 2014
Deceptively Simple Yet Work Amazingly Well.

I use this type of lace and have done so for well over 7 months.
These laces are deceptively simple yet work amazingly well.

Why they were not invented years ago is beyond me.
I received my set to review from Atlas for review.
All they asked was I try them and give a fair review.

Like you may be I too was sceptical.

BUT when I replaced the laces in an old pair of boots with these I was totally blown away at how comfortable yet secure they felt.
The elastic seems to hold really well but not so tight it hurts.

Taking the boots off was a breeze.
Simply press the catch and slide.

Fitting the things is so easy too, you don't need the instructions on the back of the pack or the helpful pdf file that covers the whole installation but if you read it first it makes things simpler.
This is from the voice of experience!

Thread the laces as normal add the lock ends and trim a little of the laces to fit.

That is it.

You are ready and off to go.

Now you may be asking yourself are they any good for work boots-
trainers, and other shoes.
The answer5 to all three is a big yes.

But another use you may wish to consider is the elderly.
My Dad (God Bless) is in a home with dementia.

These laces are an absolute boon to the hard working staff who change his shoes.
I place a set on his shoes and the staff after I showed them how easy it is to have quick release and quick 'tie up'.
The staff think they are the best thing since sliced bread.

If you have a reluctant teenager or child that never bothers to untie/tie their shoes then these are for you.

As a Primary Teacher when the kids get changed for PE the ones first in the line are always the kids with this type of lace system.
Believe me Teachers always give out 'stars' for the first ones changed.
Your kids will 'cream' the opposition with these.

The good news is you get a fabulous choice of colours.
So the these will match most combinations of shoes boots or whatever takes your l fancy (Whalebone Corsets, basques and the like?)

If you are an athlete these would a marvellous quick change set for you.

Those women drivers who like to switch shoes for driving will find them especially useful.
Finished your journey?
Slide the catches slide off the shoes and slip into your high heels or whatever.

(Any males who like drag racing but find those high heels killing to run in after a while are in for a treat too!)

The firm give you a long long guarantee and are new off the block so eager to please.

Totally recommended.

DAN DARE COMIC BOOK GOLDEN EAGLE MADKEE MENS T-SHIRT BLACK L + ALL SIZES 066BL
DAN DARE COMIC BOOK GOLDEN EAGLE MADKEE MENS T-SHIRT BLACK L + ALL SIZES 066BL
Offered by Doppelganger33 Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Puzzling, 22 Dec 2014
I'm unsure about this T shirt or rather the range.

The motifs are interesting but I cannot see where the Dan Dare reference comes from other than the comment one of the character's is saying.
"Where is the Golden Eagle".

Accurist Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Analogue Display and Black Leather Strap MS1041B

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks as Good In Real Life., 21 Dec 2014
I'm a fan of Accurist watches.

Good value combined with great looks.

I've said before that Accurist make great watches and you see one that you like the look of my advice is go for it.
The workings are always reliable with Accurist.

Now to basics.

For too often I've 'ummed and arred' about watches for ages.
In the photographs they look good.
But receiving them you always have the doubts if they look good in real life.

This is a watch that not only looks great in it's pics but matches it in the flesh- well metal.

Normally gold embelishments put me off a watch- but for once the gold really does enhance the smart looks of this excellent watch.

Other gold embeslished watches always look a bit 'naff' to be maybe it's a gilt complex? (groan) Too flash, too easy to scratch and reveal the base metal underneath?

Now the price for a really smart watch of this quality at under fifty is an absolute steal. (if not quite steel but with gold!)
The retail price is £150 but who would pay that?
No me neither.

I'd expect to see this in a jewellers at around one hundred.
So this price on Amazon is half that- a bargain.

Now this watch would make a fabulous gift for a teenage.
Cheap enough to wear without worry of damage or theft and believe me it will get worn- yet it looks really smart.
It will get compliments.

The actual presentation is very good too, a really smart classy looking presentation case oozes style and the recipient if this is a gift will be impressed.
It looks a 150 watch in the box.

The colour really pleases. The strap is a really robust black leather- great quality with blue/black stitching. The strap is an integral part to the design of the watch the straps meet the black of the bezel and `frame' the watch well
Many reviewers say this is too stiff but what they do not realize is that this strap is built to last it will not fall apart or come unstitched after a couple of wears. Leather bends and moulds it self to the wrist ,
The strap is comfortable and if you wear it in winter doesn't freeze your wrist off in cold weather.
It also really matches the watch it looks very handsome.

And of course unlike metal bracelet watches you won't need to go to a Jewellers to pay a fiver and have it adjusted.

Black highlighted in gold with three small dials.

It keeps great time.
It says water resistant which is fine for normal wear but I would not wear it to swim in.
The salt water would affect the strap and make it dull- cholorine in a swimming pool? Likewise.
Use another rubber strapped watch for that.

A tip is use a decent make of battery when you need to replace it.
Cheap batteries leak and ruin watches- something I have done with a Tintin watch I own.
Also if you get the battery changed you may need to get the seals redone if you use it for swimming- if you don't then fine.

Now there is that gold finish.
You either love it or loathe it.
There are alternatives in various colurs many with with none of the gold.
Here is the link.
Accurist Men's Quartz Watch with Blue Dial Chronograph Display and Black Leather Strap MS832N

But hey I like the watch it keeps good time, feels great and looks good.

If you are not averse to white you can also get the watch in other colours here are a few links for you.
Accurist Men's Chronograph Watch MS832Y

Accurist Gents Chronograph Watch Black Leather Strap White Dial MS832W

Overall a good make and an excellent watch.

Inateck Ultra-Mini 4 Port USB-Powered OTG Adapter USB 2.0 Compact OTG Adapter Hub for USB On-The-Go Compatible Devices Smartphone and Tablets PC
Offered by Inateck

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Device That Opens Out Your Options To The Full., 21 Dec 2014
This is a brilliant device that opens out your options to the full.

What it does is allows you to connect devices to phone or whatever.

It is small portable and ideal for travelling abroad.

For example you could load your movies and series onto a flash drive or memory stick and just connect the device up when you arrive. This saves up all your phones memory.
Viewing photos from a memory stick is easy along with documents, power points or whatever.
The device allows you to connect a portable keyboard for word processing or whatever.

I love to listen to talking books- this device allows me to load my mp3s onto a memory stick and play when and wherever I want.
Music files similarly are a dream to store and play on your device without cluttering up and overfilling your memomory.

The device like all Inatek products is well made, robust and rugged.
The cable (often a weak spot) is solid and connected to the device well.
The device has a weighty feel that speaks volumes for its robustness- this thing is built to last and be used time after time.

I would suggest that you read other reviews in tandem with mine to get a 'fuller' overview.
My fellow reviewers cover a lot of different detail like speeds of transfer and which devices work so it is not right to cover the same ground so to speak.

Mine was sent for review but I would gladly have selected this device to purchase myself and coming from a 'tight' Tyke that is some compliment to it being a really brilliant machine.
Recommended

Accurist Men's Quartz Watch with Blue Dial Analogue Display and Black Leather Strap MS1041N

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch. - A Guilty Pleasure?, 20 Dec 2014
Accurist make great watches.

If you see one that you like the look of my advice is go for it. The workings are always reliable with Accurist.

Now to basics.

I ummed and arred about this watch for ages in the photographs it looks good. I love watches and the colour attracted me. But the gold embellishments put me off a little.

A bit too flash, too easy to scratch and that niggle with Rolex amonst other watches. (Steel is one of the strongest metals- gold the softest why have a gold watch)

The price looked pricy I know it says retail price £200 but would you pay that?

No me neither.

What clinched it for me was visiting York one day I saw the identical watch on display reduced to £150 so I tried it on.
(which was a bit naughty really but hey you are looking on Amazon too for a bargain so you cannot criticise too much.)

It looked and felt fabulous it really is an impressive watch let me reassure you that if, like me, you are thinking it cannot actually be as good as it looks from the photographs it really does.

It also really matches the watch it looks very handsome.
The face is in blue with three small dials.

It keeps great time.
Use another rubber strapped watch for that.

A tip is use a decent make of battery when you need to replace it.

The watch does look great but after wearing it and testing it for a couple of months I've notice that if you wear glasses like I do for reading you may not be able to read the tiny date. (My other watches had Cyclops eyes to magnify them for you.)
The bezel does not rotate which is a surprise for a watch of this pedigree but I never use mine on my other watches anyway so one less thing to go wrong.

Now there is that gold finish.
You either love it or loathe it.
There is an alternative in blue with none of the gold.
Here is the link.

But hey I like the watch it keeps good time, feels great and looks good.

Accurist Men's Chronograph Watch MS832Y

Accurist Gents Chronograph Watch Black Leather Strap White Dial MS832W

Overall a good make and an excellent watch.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2014 1:16 AM GMT

Ugreen Premium Ultra Slim 3.5mm Auxiliary Audio Flat Cable 90 Degree Right Angle Compatible for iPhone, iPad or Smartphones, Tablets, Media Players (1.5ft, Black)
Offered by UGREEN GROUP LIMITED UK

5.0 out of 5 stars In the End Quality Always Sells., 19 Dec 2014
If you splash out on an expensive piece of equipment and you want to get the most out of it then it pays to get the best connectors that you can.

The great thing about this set is they are superb connectors and they will not break the bank.
The cable works with iPad, iPhone, iPods, MP3 players, Laptops, PCs, Cell Phones, Tablets and well we could go on all day.

The word used is deluxe but the price is not what you would expect for such a quality cable.
Inside the cables are copper free wire.
The first thing I did with my stereo back in the day was to junk the cheapo wires and invest in some copper free cable from Richer sounds.
The sound improvement was amazing. So it will be with these.
To compliment the quality the plus are 24ct gold plated.
These promotes a much better contact and an improvement in sound. True this improvement will depend on the device that connects but you get the idea of the quality that this little cable has.

The design is good one of the contacts is a 90 degree elbow type which I prefer and the cable is the flat sort making keeping the weight down whilst not skimping on quality.

You have a choice of 3 lengths and the price rises slightly with each increase but this still is value for money.
My advice is always go one size larger. You can always shorten the distance but you cannot lengthen it if the devices are too far apart.
The high quality cable will ensure a good delivery of the signal.

Deluxe by name and deluxe by nature is the word for this cable.

(I was provided with mine by the company.
All this asked was a far review.
This has not influenced my review.)

Logitech AnyAngle Protective Case with Any Angle Stand for iPad Air 2 - Black
Logitech AnyAngle Protective Case with Any Angle Stand for iPad Air 2 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Protection for Your I Pad In Black and other Colours., 19 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a brilliant piece of kit to protect your I pad.

I already have one of these for my wifes i pad mini.
So I can really vouch for the protective qualities from experience.

It is heavy.
People may baulk at this but the idea is to protect your expensive i pad.
Make no mistakes this case protects and preserves like a heavy duty New York, Battleharded Police Swat Team from New York in the old days.

We are talking Marine rather than Pay Corps protection.

My copy was in black (beggars cannot be choosers as my old mum use to say) The other colours look splendid.
But if security is an issue then the black is a good neutral colour that want advertise to the world what you are carrying.

If you use it on the tube ALWAYS sit well away from the doors to avoid you set being grabbed (nasty especially if you have the headphones on)

As I said earlier we took our i pad mini to Iceland.
My wife complained about the weight but believe me the protection when she dropped it on an ancient lava flow more than made up for this.

The fact that she always uses hers on her i Pad mini testifies to its worth.

Now this case has a few tricks up its smart wipe clean sleeves.

It's any-angle that means it's as supple as an Indian Gymnast in a Moscow Circus.
The hidden hinge boast powerful magnets that grip the lid as tight as a toddler with a bar of choc.

Seriously this means your viewing angle is great.
It stays put too so if you are watching the climax of a golf tournament or the dramatic end to a film then this will not let you down.

All in all a brilliant protective cover.

(Now I wish mine was in Orange)
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2014 12:34 AM GMT

Foscam FBM2307 Digital Video Baby Monitor - Night Vision, 2.4" Touchscreen LCD, VOX Video Toggle, Night Light Function, Rechargeable Battery, 2.4 Ghz Wireless (White/Blue)
Offered by Foscam Digital Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Designed, Effective, Simple to Operate,, 19 Dec 2014
There are a whole slew of baby monitors around so it pays you to get ones that suits.

My advice is to get one which is easy to operate, provides a good video picture, has night vision and is battery powered.

This device ticks all the boxes.

It works.

What I like is that it is really simple to use.
If it had all the bells and whistles that some have it would be simply too complicated to use.
The beauty of this device is that it is simple to use and effective.

It's well made and robust.
True it's not designed for throwing about but should take a little bit of hammer.
The fact that it is battery powered means it's a lot easier to locate in the room and no trailing wires etc as a danger hazard. A bonus is that it can be used outdoors should the situation be needed.

The range is a whopping 300M that should satisfy most home users

Battery life is good and the screen automatically turns on when a voice is detected. This preserves the life of the rechargeable battery.

What I liked also was the night light function.
This reassures the child and you can pick a different hue.

All in all this is a well made, well designed product.
It is not cheap but it is effective and versatile.
This would be a good baby present from a relative or baby shower.
It does it's job well and is a sound investment that will last for more than one child.

(I was provided with my sample by the company.
All they asked was for a fair review)

Beurer BM55 Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor with Health Manager
Beurer BM55 Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor with Health Manager
Offered by Fonq stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Design. Easy To Use. Robust., 19 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To basics.
If you are looking at this piece of equipment I assume you will know why you need one and what you need it for.

What you de need to know is
A. Is it accurate?
B. Is it easy to use and
C. Will it last?

I can honestly say that the answer to all 3 is YES.

So if that is what you need to know you can stop reading this review and buy it.

For those that need a little bit more read on.

This device is German Built and designed.
I could have just used that sentence rather than write the above.
As you would expect from the German Built design that stands for quality and reliability.
This device fits that criteria well.
It is robust, beautifully designed and functional and should last a lifetime.
(And I realise the irony in that last bit when you realise why you need to buy one)

There is a long, long guarantee of 3 years but as this is quality built I doubt if many will take up on that guarantee.

In the box you get.
1 x Beurer BM55 Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
1 x Cuff 22-36cm
1 x Storage Bag
4 x AAA Batteries
1 x Instruction Manual

You have a link to download The Beurer "Healthmanager" app and I can really recommend that you take up this offer to get the best possible use out of this brilliant device.

You can download the details to your computer or laptop and this will provide a plethora of read outs and data that you can send/give to your physician .

The readings are very easy to read.

Stylish is one of the words used to describe this device from the company's blurb.
It is but that is at the end of the long list of the importance of this device.
It is extremely portable and because it is robust it will survive a bit of hard handling.
But it will pay you to protect it.

It comes with the welcome addition of 4 AAA batteries that it requires.
I should add my usual warning here of always ensuring you replace the batteries with a set of quality LEAK Proof batteries.
If you use cheapo ones they will leak and ruin the device.

And...
well that is just about all you need to know.

I wish you and your family good health.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2014 4:36 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20