Profile for Darkowl > Reviews

The Silence of Ghosts
The Silence of Ghosts
by Jonathan Aycliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - another Aycliffe!!, 2 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Silence of Ghosts (Paperback)
Jonathan Aycliffe has been my favourite author for over a decade and whilst I read voraciously with a penchant for eerie little tales, few can hold a candle to Mr Aycliffe's Naomi's Room, Whispers in the Dark, The Vanishing or my personal favourite The Matrix (which still gives me the collywobbles when I think about it at night). So I was excited to see Mr Aycliffe has written a new ghost story after a long dry spell and have just finished it in one sitting, being unable to put it down despite it now being nearly 1.30 am... The Silence of Ghosts features the wonderful sparse and elegant prose of Mr Aycliffe's previous books, a fascinating storyline with likeable characters and moments of intense creepiness - Clare in particular giving me the shivers. Not to mention the thing on the stairs... In short, another wonderful tale of supernatural shenanigans that is destined to be read repeatedly until Mr Aycliife publishes another.

The Shadow of the Pyramid
The Shadow of the Pyramid
by Wendy Leighton-Porter

5.0 out of 5 stars Mummy Alert!, 20 Mar. 2013
Being a huge fan of all things Ancient Egyptian, I was excited to discover that Wendy Leighton-Porter has set the latest installment in the Shadows series smack bam in Mummy Land! There is something that resonates in Leighton-Porter's writing long after you've turned the last page - a sense of history and place but given that contemporary twist so popular with young (and old!) readers. I thoroughly enjoyed the twins' latest adventure which seems them trying to overturn a plot to assassinate a young pharaoh, and I am interested as to where the series will move to next. Great book, thoroughly recommended.

The Shadow of the Trojan Horse
The Shadow of the Trojan Horse
by Wendy Leighton - Porter

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeously written adventure!, 20 Mar. 2013
I am a huge fan of Wendy Leighton-Porter's earlier books and the latest installment featuring the twins and the wonderful Max certainly lives up to the high standards I've come to expect. Great plotting and character development and wonderful characters whom you can really get behind. As always, Max plays an integral part in the adventure which makes the book a must for cat lovers. Can't wait for the next one!

The Shadow of the Minotaur (Shadows from the Past Book 2)
The Shadow of the Minotaur (Shadows from the Past Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking yarn featuring the adorable Max!, 26 Sept. 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed Wendy Leighton-Porter's first instalment in the Shadows from the Past series. In The Shadow of the Minotaur, we join the twins on another exciting adventure, this time to ancient Greece, where mythical beasts are alive and well. One thing that strikes me about The Shadows series is the wonderful way in which the author brings alive the historical detail in her stories to help young readers learn something new about the past. In this book, it feels as if Wendy Leighton-Porter has really come into her own; her voice is unique and fresh and the story (without giving too much away!) is exciting and peppered with wonderful characters, my favourite being the adorable feline Max. Looking forward to reading more Shadows tales when they appear and recommend them whole-heartedly to readers young and old.

The Seven Stars
The Seven Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to forgo sleep until you finish this one!, 26 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Seven Stars (Kindle Edition)
If I could give this book 6 stars instead of 5, I would. The Seven Stars is an intelligent thriller full of twists and turns that features a likeable but flawed protagonist and is packed full of historical detail. Simon Leighton-Porter weaves a tale of the past and the present skilfully. The action is plausible, the characters well-developed and the plot was riveting enough to keep me up well past my bedtime. I look forward to reading the author's second book and recommend The Seven Stars to all fans of historical thrillers who appreciate an edge of your seat adventure.

The Shadow of Atlantis
The Shadow of Atlantis
by Wendy Leighton-Porter

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written tale of adventure and history, 30 July 2012
This review is from: The Shadow of Atlantis (Paperback)
There are few books that I remember from my childhood - probably because I devoured our local library like a hungry dinosaur and read almost anything I could lay my hands on. But a few special writers stay with me - and I say special for their ability to transport me to another world, to make me laugh and cry and feel, to make me love their characters and ache for them when they faced tough times, and for the sheer, magical prose that dripped off the page and into my eager young mind. Robert Holdstock, Phillip Pullman, Ursula le Guin to name just a few of these talented souls.

Now add Wendy Leighton-Porter to the list and I wish I'd found this story when I was a kid. Her characters are engaging and sympathetic and they never do things that make you want to throw rocks at them, which is refreshing in teenage fiction! I especially loved the character of Max, the intrepid adventuring cat whose portrait graces the front cover. The storyline itself is exciting and something that anyone with an interest in the myth of Atlantis will enjoy. What's even better is that The Shadow of Atlantis is only the first step on the journey and will shortly be followed by another adventure that I hope will transport me to another world as effectively as this book has. Kids and adults alike will love this and I'm looking forward to sharing Atlantis with my little nephew when he's old enough to appreciate it.

Five out of five for great plotting and characterisation. Can't wait for the next instalment!

The Governess
The Governess

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeously readable, beautiful prose, can't put it down, 16 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Governess (Kindle Edition)
I stumbled upon Rachael Eyre's wonderful novel purely by accident, and haven't been able to stop reading since yesterday (well, enough for the essentials and to write this review). The Governess is the story of well, a governess, but not the sort of governess you've read about before. The story beautifully captures the agony of being gay in a time when "deviance" was unacceptable and a sure fire way of ruining any prospects of wealth and success, where affairs of the heart were secret and clandestine, and where a woman's control over her own destiny was limited to the narrow confines of marriage and motherhood. Against a backdrop of suffocating societal pressures and prejudices, Benny, the governess, cannot help but follow her heart. Ms Eyre's characters leap off the page and her descriptive passages are sheer genius. This is a book I would have been proud to write myself. It truly is testament to the fact that Kindle offers readers a wealth of unknown authors and stories, you just have to persevere to find them! Eagerly awaiting Rachael Eyre's next book...

Shana Silverman, author of My Father's Demon

Drood
Drood
by Dan Simmons

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic adventure of mystery, madness and ahem, opium, 18 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Drood (Paperback)
I didn't know what to expect when I picked up this book, being unfamiliar with Dan Simmons work. Now I'm working my way through everything he has written, but nothing compares to Drood! Wilkie Collins and Charles Dickens in the sewers chasing after a mystical creature named Drood - it doesn't get any better than this. Curl up on a cold night with a glass of your favourite tipple and lose yourself in Dan Simmons' masterpiece. The only negative thing to say about this book is that's heavy to cart around with you, so do what I did and devour it in a few days!

Book of Mercy
Book of Mercy
by Leonard Cohen

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Day Psalms for the Humble, 7 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Book of Mercy (Paperback)
This book comes with me on all my travels. When I read it, I laugh and I cry. It's simply the most beautiful account of an individual's wrestle with G-d and the human need to find meaning that I've ever read. Truly breath-taking poetry. Leonard, how do you do it?