Profile for J. Gatens > Reviews

Content by J. Gatens

J. Gatens "FAK'U'JAK" (Scotland)

A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind-Volume 2 - Pagan Love Vibrations Compiled and Mixed by The Amorphous Androgynous
Offered by monahan7500

2.0 out of 5 stars Psychedelic?.........This is purely a Bubble., 28 Oct. 2009
Ok. Let's get this straight I am no Psychedelic Sounds expert.(There is none) But I do have many a collection and album from the era of the 60's and 70's.(Some on LP but mostly CD Including many of the artists represented on these A.A.representations) AFAIAC.These guys have merely plucked various compositions of the period and banged in some overdubs using electronic wizardry to include some instrumentation of the time to pad them out a bit.(There is no soul to this album.)

If this is your first dip into music with the word "Psychedelic" in it. Then you may be amazed? However if you have a diverse enough collection of music.(From any era!)

Just stick your iPod on "SHUFFLE" and you will have created a much more Psychedelic sound. To my mind There is no point in Mixing tunes that were already good in their own way and then adding a purely recognisable overdub. It just takes away the feeling or expression of the songwriters thoughts at the time.

"Your Tiny Minds are being Duped" LOL! Noel Gallagher If you think this constitutes "Psychedelic". You need to get out a bit more. Good Lord! These guys are wearing "Hippy Threads" They must know about "Psychedelia"

They want to read their own sleeve notes?

Ok a finely produced collection of Music. But past "Psychedelic Rarities" were not finely produced! These tunes will be instantly recognisable as coming from Amorphous Androgynous.

They have all been given the same treatment.(You won't be playing "Guess the artist" with this sound.)

A.A. Wouldn't dare do do their makeovers to "Beatles, Stones, Jefferson Airplane or Greatful Dead tracks. They are caught in a business that won't allow it.

This ain't Free music. Psychedelia is!!! I know! I've bought? all their albums. Go figure?

Sorry for the rant. This is a Jolly Nice album. That is also of its "Time".......................

Cue? Tommy Rapp, Dave Brock, Melanie or John Fields. Popping in. And saying that if they had the technology at the time. Their songs would have sounded just like this. I doubt it AHEM...?
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2010 8:36 PM GMT

Be There [CD 1]
Be There [CD 1]
Offered by dabsales

5.0 out of 5 stars What's with this tune?, 29 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Be There [CD 1] (Audio CD)
I had originally bought this single back in 2003.
Being a person who likes varieing styles of music. And growing tired of hearing the same old,same old.
It was a complete surprise to me, to find that I enjoyed playing this CD. Over and over again.(I normally get weary of listening, to the usual music on radio)
I used to play it in my car Non stop. Feeling, Oh so, calm and collected. Unfotunately. I sold the car with this CD. Still in the Disc tray! Yikes! I need my fix.
Now 6 years on. And with most music formulaic. I feel that "Be There" Is a definate listen again track ( with all the remixes. I do have the Unkle album with the single track included).
A must for Winter Traffic Jams and Dark nights. perhaps described as "Just you, with how you would like things to be."(When you were "Non Compus Mentus") Cheers!
This Track is soooo.. Cool. It hurts.

BTW. I recommend "Sneaker Pimps" "6 Underground", As a companion listen.

In Dreams And Other Stories
In Dreams And Other Stories
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Take me back!, 30 Sept. 2008
Having heard Granturas single release "Waves" on morning radio a couple of months ago. I was surprised to find that Thes folks were an "Out Now" band.
Being a big Fan back in the 1970s of American "West Coast" Rock.
The Grantura sound took me back.
I awaited their Album release with relish.
This is a group of accomplished musicians who can most definately recreate the sounds of "The Greatful Dead" Circa. "American Beauty" Steven Stills "Manasas" or Gram Parsons. With a touch of "West Coast Pop Experimental" and "Marmalade" (I know. UK. but so were "America") That's not all though. This band can also produce that '90s swagger sound.

With. Up to date lyrics.Not a pure Nostalgia trip then. But a delicious slant on some of the best "Get me out of this place" Music around.

With the rescent resurgance of this type of music. (Fleet Foxes, Midlake, Iron and Wine.) Grantura play the Gamut. Every track is like the song you wanted your favourite band to play. But Alas! they never did.
Certainly upbeat. Get this. It is greatly uplifting.

Take It From The Man!
Take It From The Man!
Offered by \/\/ WORLD WIDE MEDIA MARKET /\/\

5.0 out of 5 stars 35 yrs of listening and in 2 wks the answer was in front of me, 7 May 2008
This review is from: Take It From The Man! (Audio CD)
Think that the previous reviewer covered most of the bases. However He/She missed a standout track on this album and that is "Monkey Puzzle"
I have only been listening to the "BJM" Huh! for a week or so now, having bought 3 of their albums on the strength of seeing, Anton ET AL in the DVD "DIG" just a fortnight ago.
Listeners/collectors of '60s psychedelia. Who have all the albums by all their favourite bands and are looking for that hidden track from an album by a band that doesn't exist?

Hey! look no further "The Brian Jonestown Massacre" can hit the spot with every track they play.

You. Have all the "Nuggets", "Rubble","Pebbles","Boulders". Boxed sets. Plus the albums from the bands you thought you liked. And you don't play them anymore because you are in search of the ever elusive.

Well! Look No further, for these guys are continuing on all your favs. With all the same verve and enthusiasm. With more Modern lyrics and a mixture of sounds that cannot be pigeonholed.
Derivitive?.. Of what?.. The whole of the '60s in general?
Well I guess so.
Is that so bad?
All music is derivitive. It is human nature. (Unless someone has discovered some new Notes).
Anyways "Monkey Puzzle" . Soul/Rock/Psych. Like nothing you have heard. (Unless you had three songs playing at the same time.).
You will surely, purchase every Album, released by this band.....? I suppose.

Real Life Permanent Dreams: A Cornucopia of British Psychedlia, 1965-1970
Real Life Permanent Dreams: A Cornucopia of British Psychedlia, 1965-1970

5.0 out of 5 stars Real extra tracks not included in other compilations!, 29 Aug. 2007
Being a lover of '60s psychedelic music.
Was prepared to be underwhelmed by yet another Renamed/Repackaged set.
However was pleasantly surprised to find more than a few tracks that had been either unreleased or difficult to obtain without paying extorsionate prices for.
This is a truely Brit Psychedelia. (Not Nuggets/Rubble) and complements the MOJO "Spacedust and flying saucers" set.
Some fine alternate takes of regulars with many original(To my ears unheard before.) tracks.
Good grief! I actually quite liked listening to the highly overated IMHO. Arthur Brown tracks?
'Tis funny how with every "New" Psychedelic release. We seek to find the ultimate track that reflects the mood of the times.
And yet again with this release. Another couple of tracks come to mind. The included "The Smokes" interpretation of "Traffics" "Utterly Simple" is fantastic. Also "The Ends" alternate "Loving Sacred Loving" is another beaut. (Remembering that their "Introspection" album is A Must buy.Serendipities "I'm Flying" is a precurser of progression to come?
All in all. This compilation is a good sampling of many of the choicest picks. In a chronological order of the psychedelic scene,
It is not by accident that Disc 2 is the choice. As this was when this music was at its High.

If you want to listen to the '60s sound within a natural progression. This is without doubt. The compilation for you!

OoH! Ooh! forgot to mention "Ace of Wands" Theme tune. "TAROT" by Andrew Bown. Ahh. Nostalgia fans. Remember this TV series? Well it's here!

40-50 somethings. Swing the light.

Sennheiser RS 140 Wireless Balanced Headphones
Sennheiser RS 140 Wireless Balanced Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars RS 140s. Freedom and quality, 29 Aug. 2007
Sennheiser have hit the mark for me with these phones.
Not being a complete Audiophile. (I listen to music I like when I can. As opposed to Superb production.)
I have found this set of cordless phones to be just the ticket.
I am now able to listen to my favourite Psychedelic '60s sounds whenever I like, wherever within the home without disturbing the rest of the family.
Phones arrived yesterday. Charged up batteries overnight.(16hrs recommended for 22hrs life?0
Couldn't wait to come home from work and try these babies out.
Having already sampled my sons RS 120 open backed cordless phones before I was prepared for the experience.
Have to say that Sennheiser are definetly Top off the game in headphone technology.
Phones were slipped on and I was prepared to listen to whatever was within the CD player at the time. It just so happened to be "Singers Unlimited" Accapella sessions. A good test then? Resulting in excellent clarity with slight hiss only prevelent between tracks and not within quieter moments of tracks.(The source is upstairs and I am downstairs in the kitchen).
There would appear to be little or no sound leakage from these phones. Wife and son had entered room and were unaware that I was playing anything at all!
Found the freedom of movement quite disconcerting at first. I kept trying to compensate for a trailing cord. That of course didn't exist.
I am typing this as I listen to "Real life permanent daydreams". And again no problems whatsoever. Wife and son are in bed and I am typing this and listening to my favourite type of music downstairs. It's, as good as it gets.

If you want the freedom of movement and the ability to listen to what you want/when you want. Within your own home.Without disturbing others.(OOh err .. Just been to the toilet had a fag. No interuption. Still quality sound.) You surely couldn't go wrong in buying these headphones.(I wouldn't recommend locking yourself in the garden shed and indulging in some headbanging, if the source is in the backroom, upstairs, between two layers of concrete.)
I would guess ? they are not for those with limitless time and are able to pick out faults in recording. but have to say, that for cordless phones. These must surely be the best?

BTW. not sure if Amazon have got it right? They appear to have these phones listed twice. Go for Sennhheisser RS 140 Wireless Balanced Headphones. These are cheaper. And I believe the same as the RS 140 RFs

Song To Comus - The Complete Collection
Song To Comus - The Complete Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Comus. As influential as any?, 21 Aug. 2007
Having just purchased this Album . I have to say that I wish I had bought this years ago.
Ok. To set the record straight. I am a avid fan of the greatest "Overlooked '60's/70's british band" "Family" So what do we get on this Album? Well! We get Roger Chapman type vocals with backing band instrumentation. So far so good. However, song subject and presentation are nothing like Family.

Moving to nowadays. I have a Great affection for the Dark Metal band "Opeth". These guys, definetly listened to "Comus". (References like "My arms your Hearse" and "Baying of the hounds" lifted straight from "First Utterance". Comuses first album.)

The debut album by nowadays band "Espers" is also in my collection.
If these folks didn't form, on the premise of creating the Female Harmonies represented on Comuses "First Utterance". Well I am a Salty Kipper.

Right! so the first part of the anthology is influential to "Opeth" and "Espers" The second part(I am still listening) of the Antholegy has the same female vocal content but presentation, is much more bright and breezy.with Caribean samba feel on some tracks and nothing like the Dark Age, Paganistic type lyrics of "First Utterance"
However. Have to say that "Kate Bush" and many an 80's band, have listened to the structure of the songs with many utelising the lyrics in their cliched subject matter.

Still listening for the first time and the "Roaches" harmony and subject matter is coming through.

So to sum it up. An anthology that goes some way to explaining influences of later bands throughout the past three decades. and that in my book spells result!

Just love! Searching Roots and influence.

Ok! just finished listening. Have to say that the first part of the Album is undoubtably the best. However have to say that the second part although unmemorable. It has to be said was still ahead of its time,considering when it was originally recorded.

Buy this with confidence.(Especially if you are into the bands mentioned or like to trace musical influence.)

Space Ritual
Space Ritual
Offered by rbmbooks

4.0 out of 5 stars "I Was There!", 27 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Space Ritual (Audio CD)
Ok!

Having had the Original LP. for 33 yrs!!!!???.

A guaranteed Musical sounds extravaganza. I had purchased the "Space Ritual" CD set. Just a fortnight before hearing of the CD+DVD release. Of course I had to have this as well.

Couldn't wait to hear this, Fantastic Album in 5.1 sound.

Have to say was somewhat disappointed in the sound field produced.

I was expecting to be swathed all round, by the sounds of the guitar,'tronics,drums and bass.

However. Felt I was still being treated to a Normal Stereo Edition with added occasional crowd sounds coming from the rears.

I tried Various "Sound Field" programmes. But it still felt like Stereo.

Hawkwind were not a particularily Bassy sound (Mostly Rythmic) So even Slamming the Sub. Did not Convince me. That "I was there!"

Have to say that the inclusion of the Promos for "Silver Machine and Urban Guerrilla" were most welcome. (Especially with the Iconic Stacia.Interpreting the Scene in her own Nudetastic way.)

If? Like me, you are an Early '70s Hawkwind Fan. Well the CD.or LP. are brilliant.

Other Than the Promo films.The DVD with 5.1 is not particularily Gobsmacking enough to be worthwhile.( Even the Pic Gallery is just the same Pics as in the Booklet???)

However. If this is the "First Time" Well... Highly recommended.

There has never before or since been a band with the Ethic/Energy or Engagement of HAWKWIND. A Band truely "Out/Up/Down. There".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2008 1:30 AM GMT

If... [VHS]
If... [VHS]
VHS

4.0 out of 5 stars Get this on DVD NOW!, 7 July 2005
This review is from: If... [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I have to say that this is not so much a review of the Video.
More of a plea to get this Quintessentially British film. Released on DVD format Now.
It would have been a first buy 6 years ago!

Introspection
Introspection
Offered by psychculture UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I Know?, 9 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Introspection (Audio CD)
Just received this album today!
Have been seeking an Album that would epitomise "The Psycedelic Scene" to me. Being an Avid fan of the '67 Music Scene.
This Album is an absolute Gem. 'Tis an absolute Travesty that this Album had lay for 18 months before it's eventual release in '69 When the "Scene" was all but dead.
Am Still Listening to this album as I right this review (It Still has not finished and I am overwhelmed.
How Fantastic it is to hear Competent musicians writing and recording varied Tempo songs. A Trait sadly lacking in todays Popular music world.
If you are into Hammand/Harpsicord/Harmonies/Ditties/Chill.
This is the album for you.
Catch "Under ther the Rainbow" For Early "Verve/Stone Roses" Bliss