ARRAY(0xba673cd8)

Profile for Zoe V. Harcombe > Reviews

Content by Zoe V. Harcombe

Zoe V. Harcombe

Your Personal Paleo Code: The 3-Step Plan to Lose Weight, Reverse Disease, and Stay Fit and Healthy for Life
by Chris Kresser

5.0 out of 5 stars Your personal health manual, 21 Feb 2014
I've always loved Chris Kresser's writing and podcasts. I've seen him write very technical, biochemical articles on cholesterol and easy-to- read debunks on nutritional myths. He's a brilliant writer in both circumstances and this book is a perfect synthesis of his two styles. It's hugely informative, while being very readable.

This book has clear practical messages - reset/rebuild/revive. It has clear direction on what to eat and what not to eat but it's the 'why' of all this that is probably the best I've ever seen. Why you should embrace natural fats found in real food (including saturated fat); why you should fear vegetable oils instead; why sugar is rightly under attack at the moment; why starchy veg is OK, but grains are not.

It connects foods with conditions in a seamless and logical way - whether heart disease or fatigue, diabetes or depression - we all know that what we eat determines how we feel, but Chris explains how and why.

It's a really encouraging book. Paleo can seem frightening to some people and this gives hope: a) the eating options are not limited to meat, fish, eggs and veg - Chris notes how fruits, nuts, seeds, cured meats and fermented products have great roles to play and b) there are many inspirational testimonials throughout the book - from people whose lives have been transformed by Chris's advice - and it will make people realise "that could be me."

I defy anyone not to learn something from this book. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it highly to anyone interested in food and/or health. That's all of us - yes?!

Cholesterol Clarity: What The HDL Is Wrong With My Numbers?
Cholesterol Clarity: What The HDL Is Wrong With My Numbers?
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth, not just clarity, about cholesterol, 31 Aug 2013
This book does what it says it will do - it sets out the history, beliefs and nonsense about the cholesterol hypothesis with real clarity.

The book is beautifully written and laid out. The expert panel is second to none - 29 global experts all made available via this book - that's Jimmy doing what he does best - interviewing thought leaders and sharing their wisdom. Jimmy and Eric cleverly join the narrative and expert comments together, as they tackle all the key cholesterol topics that you need to know about:

What is cholesterol and why do you need it? Where does inflammation fit in? What about statins and side effects? What are all the numbers in the cholesterol test and what do they mean? Does diet make any difference and if so how? What is way more important to know than your cholesterol numbers? Why don't all doctors know what the expert panel knows?

Some of the comments are funny (Dr Malcolm Kendrick is in there - what do you expect?!) Some are shocking - all are highly informative and rational.

This is a must read for anyone who worries about their cholesterol or, worse still, anyone who thinks that statins are fit for human consumption. If your doctor has not updated his/her view on a myth from decades ago, then you should.

Dr William Davis captures the essence of the book perfectly when he says: "Isn't it funny that people are turning to people like Jimmy Moore for answers to their health problems rather than their own doctors because the doctors have no damn idea what's going on?"

Find out what's going on - in plain and simple English - read this book and share it with friends and family.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2013 11:17 AM BST

The Meat Fix: How a Lifetime of Healthy Eating Nearly Killed Me
The Meat Fix: How a Lifetime of Healthy Eating Nearly Killed Me
by John Nicholson
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, angry, insightful, informative & narrative, 31 Mar 2012
Funny, angry, insightful, informative and narrative - those are the five words that I would use to describe The Meat Fix by John Nicholson.

It is a unique book and a welcome and important addition to the growing number of books advising fellow humans that the dietary messages coming from our governments are terribly, dangerously wrong. From Dr Kaayla Daniel to Barry Groves to Mark Sisson to Dr Malcolm Kendrick - there is no shortage of outstanding literature, whether on general dietary advice or specific tomes on soy(a) or cholesterol. What is unique about this contribution is the raw, personal nature of the writing and the nothing-spared approach Nicholson has to telling his story.

And it is a story - a story of a young couple who left the modern world to live closer to nature, who decided that they couldn't kill the animals in their new environment and so it would be unethical to eat killed produce if they could not kill themselves. They became vegan. The book becomes the most graphic documentary of what happened next that you may ever read.

In the brilliant The Vegetarian Myth, Lierre Keith only touches on the legacy of damage that her veganism left. If you want a blow by blow account of how a vegan deteriorates physically, mentally and emotionally - Nicholson delivers. Sometimes crude, often painful, always heartfelt. If you don't want to become intimately acquainted with conditions such as haemorrhoids (piles) and the bowel consequences of eating "more fibre than a horse", then don't read this book - or skip the passages that spell it out. If you don't like swear words, then don't read this book. However, destroying one's body from the inside out, because you thought you were the role model for healthy eating, is likely to make one pretty angry and the swear words made me laugh rather than cringe.

My husband read this book first and my curiosity was aroused when I heard him laughing on several occasions. "Bloke humour" I thought, but then I read it and heard myself laughing out loud. It's very much a case of "You've got to laugh or you'd cry".

Nicholson shares the conditions he and his life partner, Dawn, developed by eating fruit, vegetables, healthy whole grains and soy(a). As Nicholson says, "I would wager that no one reading this, not one person, has eaten more soya foods than me". The prize for this `exemplary' behaviour? Irritable Bowel Syndrome; acid reflux; no energy; no libido; obesity; forgetfulness; headaches; bloating; muscle loss; sleep loss; impaired mood and everything that could go wrong with one's gut having done so.

The couple's interactions with the British medical profession are horrific and funny at the same time. They became their own healers and worked out what they needed to do. Dawn was the first to suggest that maybe meat could be their fix and, if a vegan or vegetarian has ever wondered - how do you start eating animals again - this book will tell you. What do you buy? From where? What does it taste like? How will you feel? What happens next? From vegan to virtually Paleo, the whole journey is shared.

As "the meat fix" was prescribed and administered, Nicholson learned a vast amount along the way. The book moves from his experience of medical conditions to his learning about nutrition. He does a fine job of covering the key factors in the main areas of debate taking in fat generally; saturated fat specifically; cholesterol; sugar; soy(a); salt; five-a-day - and all the nutritional myths that need slaying.

While this is not intended to be a diet book, Nicholson's final chapter is an excellent summary of what to eat and what not to eat - no government plates or pyramids, just the facts about what should be in your consideration set and what shouldn't be.

We then have a post script "...And in the end", which is the best summary of the conflict of interest blocking change that I have yet seen. "If you're a government do you really want to push a message that might keep the population healthier but would also undoubtedly mean the collapse or decline of a lot of the food processing and agrarian industries which employ a lot of people and give up a lot of tax dollars?" Quite so.

The biggest disappointment with this book is that the people who most need to read it - the Nicholsons `before' - are those least likely to read it. The Nicholsons `after', or the we-were-never-as-daft-as-the-Nicholsons-in-the-first-place are those most likely to read and appreciate this narrative. This is no fault of the book, of course - it's the price that some people will pay for not listening to their body or not rethinking beliefs when more information becomes available. As Sally Fallon Morell says: "It's no longer the survival of the fittest; it's the survival of the wisest!"
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2013 3:18 PM GMT

Watermelons: How Environmentalists are Killing the Planet, Destroying the Economy and Stealing Your Children's Future
by James Delingpole
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The mother of all conspiracy theories!, 6 Mar 2012
If you think you know everything there is to know about climate change, don't read this book. If you are quite happy for a large and increasing amount of your money being taken and you don't care where it ends up, don't read this book. If you are closed minded, don't read this book. However...

If you are interested in seeing evidence for the lack of evidence in one of the world's biggest debates - read this book. If you want to know where the 'green' money is going and what the motivation may be - read this book. If you are open minded and keen to see all sides of the biggest global issues - read this book.

I found it fascinating, disturbing, funny, angry, beautifully written and highly credible. See what you think!

Acidity Theory of Atherosclerosis - New Evidences
Acidity Theory of Atherosclerosis - New Evidences
Price: 3.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Think that fat causes heart disease? Think again!, 5 Mar 2012
This must be the academic equivalent of the "Collection of short stories" format so popular in the fiction world. It's a collection of articles, all different, but related by a common theme - heart disease.

I really enjoyed the format - it gives a taste of each topic without going into massive detail on each. The comprehensive references point the way if you want to know more about any particular factor in coronary artery disease. I never knew that the condition of having Down syndrome seems to have some protective properties when it comes to heart disease. What about the role of bacteria, or lactic acid? Is erectile dysfunction trying to tell us something? More familiar topics, such as smoking and stress, are covered but in a really new and often surprising way. I lost count of the number of times I learned something new or saw a well known topic covered in an innovative way.

I like the way the author thinks and challenges everything and makes connections between seemingly unrelated things. I also liked the inputs from colleagues - for example David Diamond's contribution to the article "Is LDL unquestionably and unequivocally a causal risk factor for heart attack?" The role of glucose (not fat) in the working of the body was fascinating and should be far more widely known.

You cannot fail to learn something if you read this book. If you are interested in our number one killer of humans - men especially - this is well worth your time.

The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food
by Kaayla Daniel
Price: 18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Scarier than Stephen King! A must read, 11 Aug 2011
This is a great and unique book. I am not aware of any other book that has dissected the soy(a) myth at all, let alone so comprehensively. (The UK refer to the substance as soya and the USA as soy - same horror).

Written in easy to understand language, well referenced and beautifully argued, this should be compulsory reading for anyone working in the field of diet and nutrition, all parents and especially anyone currently consuming this substance. From the history of soy being used (appropriately) for manufacturing of car parts and textiles to the difference between what Japanese people actually consume vs what Western nations produce - every thing you never knew about soy(a) is covered.

There are nice touches of humour, which is just as well because there's nothing funny about the health concerns linked to soy(a) - from cancer to the impact on fertility and the threat to reproduction. If your infant is on soy based formula then you'll understand that you've effectively got them on a birth control pill. The claims that soy(a) helps with the menopause ('natural HRT' kind of claims) are an admission of the hormone content of the substance (plant isoflavones in your cappuccino anyone?)

You will learn about the structure of the plant from which soy comes, the anti nutrients that it comes with, the toxicity and allergens and more and more. If you care about your health, or anyone around you and/or if you consume or have consumed soy(a), please read this book and then pass it on to a friend.
Many thanks - Zoe Harcombe

Vegetarian Myth, The
Vegetarian Myth, The
by Lierre Keith
Price: 10.34

5.0 out of 5 stars A brave, bold & beautifully written book, 27 May 2011
This review is from: Vegetarian Myth, The (Paperback)
The reviews say everything - people either love this book or hate it - I loved it and I was a vegetarian for 15 years so I can understand why people hate it. I know that there was a time when I would have hated it, but I don't know how I could have countered any of the arguments presented.

The book is beautifully written and beautifully structured. There are 3 arguments presented for being vegetarians/vegans (the line is just drawn in a different place by every one of us dogs/cows/chicken/fish/eggs/dairy/leather shoes/from my garden etc):
1) A moral argument - we must not kill;
2) A political argument - we can only feed the world if we are all vegetarian;
3) A nutritional argument - it is healthier to be vegetarian/vegan.

Keith takes each one in turn and breaks them down with searing logic.
1) There is nothing in this world that we can eat for which nothing has died. She will even tell you how many wolves and bison have died for grain fields and how many rivers have been run dry and all life within them eradicated to irrigate those grain/soy fields. Rabbits, mice, buffalo, fish, birds - before we get into the millions of species in topsoil being trashed as I write.

2) How can the agriculture that has destroyed, and continues to destroy, the planet be a sustainable way to feed the world? Without ruminants performing biological functions of soil, plants soon die as the soil structure is destroyed. Are vegetarians OK that your food is made from oil, not soil? What will feed your food when the fossil fuel runs out? Areas where vegans and real food fans should be having heated agreement are explored - we all abhor factory farming. Ruminants can't digest grains and should not be fed them - ever (the same likely applies to humans however!)

3) The nutritional argument takes many different beliefs and knocks each of these down in turn. As a nutritionist myself, I always knew that there was NO nutritional argument for avoiding meat and fish, let alone eggs and dairy. During my time as a vegetarian I thought I could be healthy enough - I was wrong. Keith was even more wrong, as a vegan, and will suffer the health consequences for the rest of her life. Retinol, B12, vitamin D, K2, calcium, iron, zinc are not optional and they are difficult to get for vegetarians and some are impossible for vegans. As for fat and cholesterol - there are entire books written on those.
In whose interests is it that you eat hydrogenated, deodorized, emulsified, bleached vegetable oils and not butter? Who wants you eating sugary cereal for breakfast and not eggs? Who wants you eating their grains and a ready made sauce and not sticking a free range chop from your known-by-name farmer under the grill?

"What separates me from vegetarians isn't ethics, or commitment. It's information." says Keith. And we can read this book and gain the same level of information. We can still choose to be vegetarian, or vegan, but recognize that it is a personal choice and not a moral high ground from which to attack others, because there are no logical arguments - it's a personal choice. Whatever we choose - let it be an informed choice. No one on earth can like the piercing messages of this book - we have destroyed the planet and there are way too many people to feed (possibly 100 times too many). We should all be as angry as Keith is with those who think it has been OK to trash the planet during their infinitesimally small time as guests here - for their own greed and personal gain.

Love it or hate it - I highly recommend that you read it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2013 12:43 PM GMT

The Great Cholesterol Con
The Great Cholesterol Con
by Dr Malcolm Kendrick
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, vitally important and challenging book, 26 Oct 2009
There are a handful of books on the market about the cholesterol myth, but this is by far the most readable and funny. I laughed out loud in a couple of places.

I love the approach in this book - the logic, the refreshing deconstruction of things we have held to be true for far too long, the brave attack on established thinking. People are always quick to attack people who stand up and first declare that the world is in fact round. Kendrick does this in this seriously important book and we need to read it, spread the word and provide a counter balance to the staggering machinery that is the pharmaceutical industry and the lucrative statin market.

This isn't just about statins (although anyone should read this before ever going on this drug). The book explains how crucial cholesterol is for our entire body functioning, that there is no such thing as good and bad cholesterol, that some really basic simplifications, which we are told by doctors, are not true or accurate and so on.

My only criticism is that I would have liked an index at that back - and that's the only comment I can make on this quite brilliant book.

I bought 1 and then bought 6 straight after and have been giving them away to people who need them. First my brother in law, then my mother, then my brother - is there no one in my family safe from the statin prescription?!

The Diet Delusion
The Diet Delusion
by Gary Taubes
Price: 10.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be compulsory reading world-wide, 21 July 2009
This review is from: The Diet Delusion (Paperback)
What a brilliant book! Incredibly well researched, well presented, well argued, persuasive. It does help that I already agree with the philosophy presented - the current obesity epidemic started at the same time that we changed our diet advice away from 'starches are fattening' to 'base your meals on starchy foods'. Every dietician should be forced to read this and then explain how they plan to change their current advice in the light of the evidence presented.

ONE CAUTION: You don't need both "The Diet Delusion" and "Good Calories Bad Calories". They are the same book - the first for the UK and the second for the US. Having said that, I don't mind having a spare of this ground breaking epic. Go Gary Go!