Profile for Gizmophobic > Reviews

Brabantia 30 Litre Retro Bin - Mineral Blue
Brabantia 30 Litre Retro Bin - Mineral Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Bin good so far, 25 Nov. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We've gone through at least a couple Brabantia bins over the years so my only reservation about this one is how durable it is. That said it looks the business, and we've not exactly been gentle with the others, what with teenagers clomping them open.I think the idea is to be a bit easier on the pedal. Good points with this make are the stylish look to them, the silent closing and the option to keep it open if you manually open it rather than using the pedal. Best of all is you have no visible (or smellable) bin liner, and this discourages our dog from trying to get his tongue in there.

Younger Than Yesterday... Plus
Younger Than Yesterday... Plus
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Red Lightnin twofor, 24 Nov. 2013
Younger than yesterday was the title of these guys' second LP for Red Lightnin-the first was I've gotte new car-both are excellent examples of a great but obscure blues band. Alligator records tried to make quite a lot of cds in this vein im the 70s with Katie Webster, Little Ed', Gatemouth Brown etc.-while well intentioned and generally ok, they got a bit formulaic. These are a step up in class. Strong on guitar, piano and sax as well as vocals they have a great feel to them. The cd incorporates all but two of the tracks from both albums. I can't comment on the reissue as such, what prompted me to do this review was rediscovering the original albums as I convert my vinyl to digital. RL label was a bit dodgy for sound at times but these are beautifully recorded. A club date would have been even better but the studio feel is brilliantly relaxed. e.g. "take number whatever it is....."

Philips DVT1700 Digital Voice Recorder with DNS Speech to Text Software
Philips DVT1700 Digital Voice Recorder with DNS Speech to Text Software

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea shame about the software, 23 Oct. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to echo the other reviewer's disappointment. It is quite an ambitious goal for a device at this price to be able to successfully translate voice recording to text and I'm afraid after considerable effort at 'training' it to my voice I can get no better a success rate than the 5% (maybe less) than previously stated. It does work ok just as a voice recorder but its little better than my old analogue one-and a lot more complicated to operate.

Live in Holland 2011-Barn Doors Spring Tour
Live in Holland 2011-Barn Doors Spring Tour

5.0 out of 5 stars Young at heart, 9 Oct. 2013
This a superb album. As the title suggests its a live concert -or part of one-the details on the recording are a bit sparse-and incidentally track 6 is not Sunset Regret as the cover suggests but "Red dress"-since both are excellent songs from the Barn doors and concrete floors album it matters little. I've yet to purchase the latter cd-the fact that over half of it is on this one won't put me off though and I might try and get a signed copy when I see him in London this weekend. I guess the only potential criticism is that this is so like mid to late 70s Neil Young that you could be forgiven for thinking you'd put Zuma on by mistake-since I love that stuff I don't have a problem with the similarity-right down to the wavery vocal. Since the encore is a brilliant version of Revolution blues I don't think it worries Israel either-incidentally the dvd is a 20min documentary-showing the band recording the album-in a barn of course-usual thing, beer, girlfriends and dogs-but the album is top notch.

Photographs
Photographs

2.0 out of 5 stars Harmless but charmless, 8 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Photographs (Audio CD)
The blurb suggests a mix of Jackson Browne and George Jones. Well I was a big fan of early JB and still have the first 6 vinyls-absolutely nothing in common with this-the singer/songwriter half of the album is extremely weak,his voice is ok, reminiscent of James Taylor, unfortunately the writing is without without the melodic strength, consequently the songs frequently suffer from awkwardly trying to fit in mediocre lyrics into very stretched lines.
The George Jones (like)tracks are better but not by much. Again the lyrics are hardly inspiring, e.g. You better not have any fun when I'm not around........I'll poke you in the eye, stomp on your foot....ok maybe tongue in cheek but wish he'd kept it there.

Zyliss Swivel Peeler
Zyliss Swivel Peeler

4.0 out of 5 stars Nifty peeler, 24 Sept. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a useful and user friendly peeler. Its maybe a bit lightweight at first but I'm sure that's just in comparison to my very old steel one. This is sharper, dishwasher friendly and fine for both fruit and vegetables.

Zyliss 3-in-1 Folding Grater, Acid Etched
Zyliss 3-in-1 Folding Grater, Acid Etched
Offered by KG Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp and classy, 8 Aug. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a well designed and useful kitchen tool. It folds flat easily and has a guard to protect the quite sharp blades. I was doubtful we would use it like this but so far it has found its way back to the drawer after the cleaning up. I expect it will last longer stored like this too. Its very stable ,reducing the chance of blood being spilt. If I was picky I'd have liked one slightly larger size blade to deal with my cheddar but that's just a minor point.

Cole & Mason Precision Pina  Acrylic Salt & Pepper Mill Gift Set
Cole & Mason Precision Pina Acrylic Salt & Pepper Mill Gift Set
Offered by KG Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional and elegant, 8 Aug. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are simple but elegant in their design. As well as being easy to operate and refill (they only come about 1/3rd full)they also look good on the table.I guess only time will tell how they stand up to general wear and tear but they look sturdy enough to me.

Ikra Flexotrim ATHS-2440 24V Lithium Ion Cordless Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Ikra Flexotrim ATHS-2440 24V Lithium Ion Cordless Long Reach Hedge Trimmer

1.0 out of 5 stars charger croaked-and then machine followed-avoid., 23 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to echo most of the other rewiewers to date. On the positive side this is easy to assemble-out of the box and up in 15 minutes-would have been quicker if I hadn't had to wade through pages of health and safety paranoia-wear goggles if you must but the whole point of this tool is to cut stuff you can't reach easily, so hard to imagine an errant piece of edge arrowing its way past my specs........also the advice to wear ear protectors, my daughter's hair dryer makes more noise, and that's through her bedroom wall. The machine is quite heavy to handle. I'd certainly recommend using this sparingly-its fine for the hard bits when you don't want to get steps out but I'll be sticking to my usual one for the most part. Despite the sturdy build the blade is on the slight side-states max 18mm cuts and I don't think it would go over. Very easy to adjust cutting angle and vary the length. Battery is easy to fit but the charger is proving a bit of a mystery.A blinking light is supposed to indicate a problem but mine did that from the off and then went completely out after an hour or so of the recommended 5 hour charging time. I tried the machine and it seemed to work ok and had some trouble again with the charger when nothing would appear in the tiny LED indicator when I tried to fully charge. Eventually got it to blink again after repeated switching off/on so we'll see..........
Unfortunately charger gave out------left with useless equipment-am about to see if you can buy them separately but not hopeful.
The very helpful German manufactures just got this back working with a new charger which looks a bit more robust. I did have to pay around 30 Euros for it and then buy a UK adaptor-but its been saved from the bin.

.......Except it completely packed up the other day. I've had it 15 monthhs and used it quite a few times but have by no means caned it. Makes whiny motor noise but blades don't move. Manual says consult dealer but those of you on the Vine will know that means its in the skip. Win some lose some but its just lost all of its stars I can take away.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2014 7:28 PM BST

BiC Atlantis Premium Ball Pen with Easy Glide Ink - Black (Pack of 12)
BiC Atlantis Premium Ball Pen with Easy Glide Ink - Black (Pack of 12)

4.0 out of 5 stars Servicable compromise, 23 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are reasonable value for money for everyday office use. I write a lot of notes in my job but still lose most of my pens before the ink runs out. These are a step up from disposable bics and the like -they write dependably-so far anyway-they do have quite a cheap light feel to them and the on/off squeaks but they are not unpleasant to use.They also look sturdy enough to avoid leaking and although they are apparently refillable I can't see you really wanting to -unless of course the environment is your priority-but as I've said mine are usually pinched.....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20