Profile for lorna loy > Reviews

Content by lorna loy

lorna loy

Classroom Observation: A guide to the effective observation of teaching and learning
by Matt O'Leary

5.0 out of 5 stars Classroom Observation, 31 Mar 2014
Matt O’Leary’s book has been invaluable in helping me understand the wider political and ideological frameworks that underpin lesson observations. Moreover, its use as a tool to judge teaching & learning is critically assessed. As a teacher and teacher trainer, I have accepted the practice of lesson observations as an essential part of education. This book has shown me that there are alternative ways to assess teaching and learning, and crucially at the same time, enhance teaching and learning, which lesson observations carried out for self-assessment & inspection do not do. Explanation and analysis, in the book, of ideologies and concepts that underpin lesson observations have guided me to critically assess my own use of lesson observations as well as the lesson observations carried out during inspections. I am currently using the book for my PhD Education research and am finding it an essential text for this, as well as for my role as a teacher trainer. I recommend this book to all those involved in observations in colleges & schools as well as inspectors who carry out observations for Ofsted.