Profile for Toots > Reviews

The Dukan Diet
The Dukan Diet
by Pierre Dukan

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to the hype! Not the doom., 21 July 2011
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
I'm a healthy weight but recently I've noticed that I'm heavier than I feel comfortable with. I heard about this diet when - following injury that prevented the increase of my exercise schedule - I was looking for a quick fix launch pad. I'm 10 days in and hoping to get from 11ish stone to 10ish stone (I'm 5"9 female mid20s). I have to say that I've found this pretty easy so far and so I wondered what people were saying about it. I've just read the negative reviews and I want to add my twopence because although this obviously isn't for everyone I wouldn't want anyone to be put off by horror stories.

If you feel a bit headachey and rubbish in the first couple of days it's because the pure protein in the attack phase is eliminating your sugar. It's like getting over an addiction cold turkey. Once you're over that hill you'll actually feel better than you did before and once you've detoxed on sugar you will stop being hungry for it (sugar actually increases your appetite generally anyway). Totally worth it and worst case scenario very easy to handle with some nuerofen and lots of water.

If you might be prone to constipation or fear it take some fibre supplements in the protein stage and then choose fibre rich veggies. Does not have to be an issue at all.

If you miss veggies or lack will power just pay closer attention to the pounds and inches falling off you. Not many diets give you results you can see so quickly. I find that changes in the gym take about 3 weeks to show too. The period of extreme protein is not long. And you can see it working. It is worth it and you can do it.

You can eat as much as you want - yes it's certain foods but there are so many options - you shouldn't be at all hungry. Drink loads of water.

While I can't comment on the longevity of the weight loss achieved on this yet I think that anyone with sense would know that rapid weight loss needs to be maintained carefully. One reviewer said they lost 4 stone in 4 months and then gained 5 in 5. Would you not stop at one stone and hit the start of the diet again for a week? When you get buff perhaps hit the gym and absolutely watch the portions to look after the new you.

Ultimately though dieting isn't a piece of cake, nor should it be. Think about how many easy moments took you to this place. In my experience this is about as simple as it gets. I know that I already look and feel better than I did just over a week ago and I wouldn't say it's been a struggle.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2012 1:01 PM BST