Profile for Mrs. V. Bradley > Reviews

Content by Mrs. V. Bradley

Mrs. V. Bradley "bookaholic" (Kidderminster, Worcs., England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Kipling Women's YELINA KM Wallets  Brown Braun (Light Brown KM) Size: 16x10x3 cm (B x H x T)
Kipling Women's YELINA KM Wallets Brown Braun (Light Brown KM) Size: 16x10x3 cm (B x H x T)

5.0 out of 5 stars Usual great Kipling quality, 9 Jan. 2014
Love Kipling bags and purses/wallets. This wallet is quite large and would be ideal to use as a small clutch bag. Plenty of pockets etc. Hard wearing.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job!, 9 Jan. 2014
I have been using eBags Packing Cubes for about 12 years now and cannot find fault with them at all. They have become a little tired looking so when I saw they were on offer again I decided to treat myself to some more. The bags themselves are very sturdy and I have experienced no trouble whatsoever with the zips. The bags are lightweight and it is amazing just how much they hold. Clothes retain few, if any, creases, and the small bags are ideal for carrying toiletries, tablets and other medication or underwear. My earlier purchases were in plain colours only so I thought it would be nice to have patterned ones this time. Thoroughly recommended.

Birmingham Before the Electric Tram
Birmingham Before the Electric Tram
by David Harvey

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight into a bygone age, 30 Dec. 2013
Both my husband (born a Brummie) and myself (a former Londoner) thoroughly enjoyed this glimpse of Birmingham before the age of the bus. Profusely illustrated with interesting historical facts and figures, together with information for the true early tram buff. Admittedly one or two of the photographs are somewhat grainy but that is only to be expected considering their age, and quite honestly they couldn't have been much improved had they been 're-mastered'. There were one or two typos and on one page the captions had been reversed, but that said and done it was money well spent and another book to add to the history of Birmingham.

TY UK 6-inch Hello Kitty Icecream Beanie
TY UK 6-inch Hello Kitty Icecream Beanie

4.0 out of 5 stars What a cutie, 22 Dec. 2013
Bought this as a Christmas present for my next door neighbour's little girl. She likes anything Kitty related so I hope this hits the spot.

David Lloyd George: The Movie Mystery
David Lloyd George: The Movie Mystery
by David Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and very informative, 22 Dec. 2013
I already had a copy of this book, but when I saw it advertised on Amazon Marketplace I decided to get a copy for my daughter. Maurice Elvey, the director of the David Lloyd George film, was my uncle and godfather, so I have a personal interest in anything relating to his many films. The book, published by the University of Wales press, basically consists of a series of essays which draw together the incredible (almost unbelievable) story of a silent film which was made in 1918 but not screened until 1996. For some inexplicable reason the film 'The Life Story of David Lloyd George' was mysteriously withdrawn before it even received its first trade screening. The film was for many years considered 'lost' or 'destroyed' until quite by chance the complete negative was found amongst material submitted to the Wales Film and Television Archive by Lloyd George's grandson.

Across Birmingham on the 29A
Across Birmingham on the 29A
by David Harvey

5.0 out of 5 stars A great big dose of nostalgia., 22 Dec. 2013
I actually bought this for my severely disabled son as he is potty about buses. However before I wrapped it up in Christmas paper I had a good look through it myself. Plenty of photos and text - all very interesting especially as 30 years ago or so I lived not far from the Hall Green terminus. I must confess I am an fan of David Harvey's books - I like his style of writing and presentation.

TY UK 6-inch Swoops Beanie Boo
TY UK 6-inch Swoops Beanie Boo

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 22 Dec. 2013
Soft and cuddly and very baby owl like. I love it! Big sparkly eyes and a cute expression - and yes I did buy I for myself!

A Burnable Book (John Gower 1)
A Burnable Book (John Gower 1)
by Bruce Holsinger

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing medieval mystery, 19 Dec. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Burnable Book' of the title is a book of prophesies that has, it is believed, accurately foretold the death of twelve English kings, and young Richard II will probably be the thirteenth. The story is set in the 14th century and begins when Geoffrey Chaucer commissions one John Gower, a poet and trader in secrets amongst other things, to find the book. In his quest the book takes him from Westminster to the vile, stinking alleyways of Southwark and beyond. Danger, subterfuge, death and destruction follow him on his journey.

A list of characters prefaces the story, to which the reader needs to refer to from time to time otherwise it can be easy to get confused as to who is who, where they are from, and how they fit into the story.

The story itself is mainly set in and around London and Southwark, but Oxford and Florence, and as the story progresses we find out more who can and who cannot be trusted amongst the major players.

Previous reviewers have gone into great depth to explain much of the story, but I prefer to offer the bare bones and let any potential reader flesh them out for themselves.

At times the author does tend to get bogged down in detail, which I suppose is inevitable since he is an eminent scholar of medieval history. This is a pity in some ways, because at times there is too much detail and not enough action. However, for a first novel this is a really good effort, I just wish it could have been shorter, since that would have added to my enjoyment and hence my reason for only awarding it four stars.

Dettol Power & Fresh Apple Floor Cleaning Wipes, 45 Wipes
Dettol Power & Fresh Apple Floor Cleaning Wipes, 45 Wipes

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a busy person!!, 17 Dec. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wonderful smell - rather like Bramley apples. The sheets are large and very moist and if time is of the essence they are easy to use for whole floor cleaning or wiping up spills. The only downside I have found is because they are so moist the floor stays wet for quite a while and it is not always possible to remove any ingrained stains.

As with other wipes I always wear disposable gloves because for me they are rather harsh on my skin.

All in all a good product, but a bit pricey.

Dettol Anti Bacterial Multi Action Power and Fresh Sparkling Lemon and Lime 72 Large Wipes (Pack of Eight)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for kitchen and bathroom use, 17 Dec. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I use anti-bacterial wipes in both my kitchen and bathroom, and find them very useful for many of the smaller jobs, such as wiping my worksurface in the kitchen and the draining board as well. They are also good for wiping round inside the fridge as the smell is very mild and doesn't taint anything stored in there. In the bathroom I find them handy for wiping round the washbasin. I use them occasionally for wiping round the toilet basin and seat, although I prefer to use toilet wipes because they are flushable unlike the Dettol wipes which have to be disposed of via the bin.

When using the wipes I always wear a disposable glove or gloves because I find the wipes make my hands feel very dry.

Each wipe can be split in two by virtue of the perforations down the middle, if desired, so in that way they can be more economical.

They are more expensive than other wipes, but I suppose one is paying for the Dettol name and its reputation. I have used other brands in the past and quite honestly there seems to be very little to chose between them-other than the price.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30