Profile for Mrs. V. Bradley > Reviews

Content by Mrs. V. Bradley
Top Reviewer Ranking: 482

Mrs. V. Bradley "bookaholic" (Kidderminster, Worcs., England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Bedtime For Drums
Bedtime For Drums
Price: 0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Just love drumming!, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Bedtime For Drums (MP3 Download)
My kind of music. I haven't listened to or downloaded any other pieces on 'The Big Band Beat' CD yet, but I may be tempted to download a few more.

Day Dream - Johnny Hodges & His Orchestra
Day Dream - Johnny Hodges & His Orchestra
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 7 July 2013
Just about my most favourite Johnny Hodges piece ever! Great sound quality and the music is to die for. Wonderful!

The Corporal's Wife
The Corporal's Wife
by Gerald Seymour
Price: 7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat and mouse or hare and hounds???, 6 July 2013
This review is from: The Corporal's Wife (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first started to read this book I found it somewhat difficult as there were so many different strands - each one almost a story in itself. However as the story developed it became clear that all these strands were coming together, and not always as planned. The main setting is Iran, and Gerald Seymour has researched this background with meticulous detail.

MI6 has been watching and waiting for the right time to spring a trap (a honey trap as it turns out)in order to capture a Corporal in the Iranian Revolutionary Guard who acts as chauffeur to a top general. If they succeed it will be a case of oneupmanship on both the Americans and Israelis. To this end they recruit 3 members of a security firm who have nothing to lose if they get caught, and a young student who has dropped out of uni to act as interpreter because he has a good knowledge of Farsi. Suffice to say the honey trap works and every effort is made to get the corporal to disclose the location of top secret nuclear and military sites, as well as other information which he has overheard and also seen whilst taking the general out and about. But there is a problem Mehrak (the Corporal) refuses to talk unless they can get his wife out of Iran. The problem is compounded by the fact that Farideh (his wife) can't stand her husband at any price, and can't see why she should be used as 'bait'.

This is a story of high drama, great courage, sadness, violence and ultimate betrayal. But who is betraying who, and why? The cat certainly had a sting in its tail, and as for the hare and hounds who was really laying the trail? A thoroughly enjoyable and exciting story and one which I thoroughly enjoyed.

An Affair of Deceit
An Affair of Deceit
by Jamie Michele
Price: 7.64

3.0 out of 5 stars A cocktail of suspense and romance, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: An Affair of Deceit (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Abigail Mason is a district attorney who gives the appearance of being wedded to her job. She has little time for the young and charming CIA agent who shadows her and starts asking questions about her father who abandoned her and her mother twenty or so years ago when they were living in Taiwan. Abigail has resented her father for the trauma he put both her and her mother through for so long, so why does James Riley, who is a trained psychologist, have such an interest in his current whereabouts? What has her father done to evoke such an interest, and how and why can she help the CIA track him down? Abigail tries everything in her power to thwart the strong attraction she begins to feel towards James, and unknown to her he starts to feel the same. As the story develops so do their feelings for each other. Side by side with this Abigail seeks to become more and more involved in the investigation into the disappearance of her father. As a consequence she finds herself becoming sucked into a situation far more dangerous than she ever envisaged; dangerous not only for herself but for those she holds dear. A fairly thin storyline, rather too drawn out, but with some steamy sexual passages which develop along with story - so be warned.

LORENZ WAIST BAG (1454)
LORENZ WAIST BAG (1454)
Offered by Supreme Leather
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality for the price, 31 May 2013
This review is from: LORENZ WAIST BAG (1454) (Luggage)
My husband has a built in aversion to wearing anything like a 'bum/waist bag' when we go on holiday or out for the day. He always expects me to carry all this bits and pieces including money etc. - no longer. When I gave this to him he was really impressed and said he will be happy to carry his own things in future. Unlike some 'bum/waist bags', this one is compact but roomy and won't be too noticeable under a shirt or top. The quality is excellent too.

Big Laces Round Shoelaces Dark Blue 75cm [Apparel]
Big Laces Round Shoelaces Dark Blue 75cm [Apparel]
Offered by Big Laces
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price and prompt delivery, 31 May 2013
I have tried everywhere in the past to get a pair of blue round shoelaces for my extra extra wide dark blue shoes. Shops sell blue shoes but blue laces - no. I must confess that when in desperation I decided to try Amazon I little thought I would find a supplier. I was wrong there were a number of them. However I decided to buy from 'Big Laces' because they were cheap and postage was free, and I am glad I did. Delivery was very prompt and the quality of the laces seems to be very good. I will definitely use Big Laces again for replacement shoe laces for both my husband and myself.

Regatta Pack It Womens Waterproof Jacket Bright Blush
Regatta Pack It Womens Waterproof Jacket Bright Blush
Offered by Outdoor Look
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, 31 May 2013
This waterproof jacket is really practical. I wore it for the first time in heavy rain, and unlike other so called waterproofs which leaked this one stood up well and leaked not a drop! It packs up really small and weighs very little. It comes with a pouch to keep it in as well. One word about size though - I would advise a size larger than usual as I have found Regatta to be a little on the small size in the past. I can safely wear a light fleece or jumper under this one if needed. All in all a good buy,

Chapelwood Bird Bath, Antique Grey
Chapelwood Bird Bath, Antique Grey
Offered by SilicaLodgeGC
Price: 18.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, good looking and practical, 31 May 2013
I am really pleased with this birdbath. It's not too ornate - in fact it's quite plain. It is stylish, elegant and looks good too, as well as being practical. The quality is excellent and the light grey finish is not too intrusive. If it lasts as long as my previous birdbath (from a different manufacturer) which I had for 5 years plus I will be more than happy.

The Long Shadow
The Long Shadow
by Mark Mills
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Is it possible to escape from your past?, 31 May 2013
This review is from: The Long Shadow (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are things in Ben Makepeace's past he would rather forget, but the past has a habit of creeping up on you when you least expect it. This is the basic premise of this well-written and enjoyable novel. Ben and his wife, Madeleine, have recently divorced. They have a young son to look after who spends time with both Ben and his ex-wife. Ben is a struggling and not very good screenwriter living in a grotty flat in London. Out of the blue he receives an invitation to Oxfordshire to meet someone whose name he has not heard of before. The person in question is Victor Sheldon, a hedge fund billionaire, who is in the process of setting up a film company and it is he who wants Ben to write a screenplay for him. He is prepared to pay Ben handsomely for this screenplay and offers him all the facilities he needs at his mansion, Stoneham Park. However when Ben gets to meet Victor, he turns out to be a blast from the past. He and Ben were at school together some 25 years previously, only then Victor was known as Jacob. As time goes on Ben becomes drawn into Victor's life and the people in it. There are many twists and turns in the story, not all pleasant but there is a romatic element to it as well. This is the first Mark Mills book I have read, and if he continues to write like this one I will definitely want to read more.

Black & Decker FSMH1621-GB Autoselect Multi-Floor 7-in-1 Steam Mop
Black & Decker FSMH1621-GB Autoselect Multi-Floor 7-in-1 Steam Mop
Price: 108.48

5.0 out of 5 stars What a time saver!!, 13 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I confess that until I received this little beauty I had my doubts about the usefulness and efficiency of steam mops. I had tried cheaper models in the past and given them up as a bad job. Not this one though!! Before I go on to wax lyrical about its pros and point out a few cons, I would urge you (should you decide to buy one) to keep the box it came in. The illustrations on the back of the box are self explanatory and will save you having to refer to the comprehensive booklet time and time again. The booklet goes into in depth explanations of the various tools etc. but once you have mastered the ins and outs of the machine, the box illustrations are most helpful.

PROS:- No long wait for the steam to reach the right temperature for most jobs, but there is a steam boost facility if you need it for more mucky jobs. There is an auto select dial for different types of flooring, tiles etc. My kitchen floor for instance looks cleaner now than it has for quite some time. Adding the carpet glider to the mop makes it easy to refresh carpets - its not a stain remover/cleaner, but nonetheless when I used it on heavy traffic areas the carpet certainly looked much brighter. The added bonus - and a most important one for me, is the detachable, hand held steam cleaner. This comes with a variable steam jet nozzle, a flexible hose and handle, three small brush heads (different colours for different jobs) and a small squeegee for windows. Having put off cleaning my cooker for too long I decided to take the plunge yesterday, and was very impressed. In a very short time the steam cleaner had loosened all the gunge on the inner glass door, floor of the oven, and two very dirty oven shelves. After rinsing off the residue I was then able to use a pad to remove the remainder of the dirt with very little effort. Job done in under half the time it would normally take me. I have yet to try the bathroom attachment, but if cleaning the oven is anything to go by I shall look forward to gleaming tiles, bath and basin. All this efficiency with just the use of good old tap water - can't be bad. There are two other attachments which I know I won't use, and they are the toilet brush and the window squeegee. I would be too scared to use the window squeegee in case the glass shattered. The steam mop also comes with two cleaning pads and a resting mat to stand the mop on after use. Another particularly useful item is the net bag to keep all the tools in.

CONS:- Not many. The main one is the fact that when using the hand held steam mop, you need to keep your finger on the little trigger or else you will soon lose the steam power. As I have osteo-arthritis this can be a little bit tricky. The other little niggle is the fact that it has a tendency to lean forward slightly when left unattended, and could I think be easily knocked over. There is a hanging loop, but if like me you are short on space returning it to its box once finished with is a good idea.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30