Profile for Mrs. V. Bradley > Reviews

Content by Mrs. V. Bradley
Top Reviewer Ranking: 723

Mrs. V. Bradley "bookaholic" (Kidderminster, Worcs., England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
One Day In Budapest: A Thriller (ARKANE Book 4)
One Day In Budapest: A Thriller (ARKANE Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling and emotive, 9 Nov 2013
Having visited Budapest on three separate occasions I was able to relate very well to this story. I also knew something of its troubled past. This novella begins with the killing of a Catholic priest and the subsequent stealing of a holy relic. As on so many occasions in Hungary's history the Jewish population are being persecuted as rumours and lies spread that this holy relic was stolen by them. The story moves on at a fair pace and parts of it are definitely not for the squeamish. Nonetheless it makes for an interesting take on what could happen again in Budapest's unhappy past. The characterisation was strong and the story believable. I was particularly impressed with the author's notes at the end and the numerous links to the city's history.

Hello Kitty Themed Apple iPad / 10" Tablet Sleeve with Handles in Dotted Red (Neoprene, Water Resistant, Dual YKK Zippers, Outer Pocket, Soft Plush Inner Lining)
Offered by Tablet2Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, amusing, and just the right size., 9 Nov 2013
I have a Google Nexus 10.1 and this little tablet sleeve with handles fits it a treat. I can even get my Nexus in with its current cover still on. Yes, I am a wrinkly and I am 74 years old, but I love anything to do with 'Hello Kitty' and red is my favourite colour too. Well priced and the delivery was pretty quick seeing as it was despatched from Hong Kong. My daughter (who is 45) is really jealous of my purchase - maybe I'll have to buy her one as well?

Kipling Unisex Adult Kofu Small Cross Body Bag Silver Grey K08320870
Kipling Unisex Adult Kofu Small Cross Body Bag Silver Grey K08320870

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Kipling, 9 Nov 2013
I have a number of Kipling bags, but most of them are rather on the large size, and I wanted something smaller to take with me when I go shopping. This bag is ideal because it holds everything I need - my purse, mobile phone, bus pass, a hanky and hand cleaning wipes. I paid a good price for it, but I doubt I would have bought it at full price. As with all Kipling bags, purses and wallets the quality if excellent. I really am becoming a Kipling addict and can rarely resist the temptation when I see another one I fancy at a good price. Top marks again Kipling!

Little Oxford Gift Box: Little Oxford Dictionary of Quotations; Little Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs
by Elizabeth Knowles

5.0 out of 5 stars A little beauty!, 9 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a superb little boxed set, and well worth the money. I have had a Little Oxford Dictionary for many years and refer to it time and time again. The two books in the set are a handy size and whilst full of extremely useful and interesting information won't take up much room on the bookshelf or even on the desk. I particularly like the way both books are set out under alphabetical themes - something which many larger tomes omit. Plus the fact that there are many contemporary quotations and proverbs. I own the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations but this is so large and cumbersome that I rarely take it off the shelf. The small size of the books in this set make it ideal for dipping into, and with the way the various parts are categorised makes it easy to find an appropriate quote or proverb for almost any occasion. The only minor quibble I have is that the price is actually printed on the base of the box rather than being on a easy peel label. A shame if this is being given as a gift. That apart this is for me an excellent collection and one I would recommend without hesitation.

Rosetta Stone German Complete Course (PC/Mac)
Rosetta Stone German Complete Course (PC/Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent way of learning a language, 9 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first started learning German over 50 years at night school. My then boss was German and much of the work was conducted in his native tongue. I found it very difficult to learn the ins and outs of the grammar etc., and naturally much of the German used was the commerical language. In the end I gave it up as a bad job, and until I received the Rosetta Stone course I sim[ly hadn't bothered to try again. However we (my husband and myself) have booked to go on two river cruises in Germany next year, and this has been the spur to get me trying again. Admittedly I have not progressed very far yet and am still at the core stage. I am finding the method employed by Rosetta of seeing and saying very helpful. One thing I have found is that it really does need a good deal of concentration especially when hears a short phrase and then has to click the mouse on the appropriate picture; why? because the pictures change places and if you're not fully alert it is easy to click on the area where that particular picture was at first. This really makes you think before you click and as such is a very good learning tool. I must admit I find it strange not having a text book in front of me, but I am sure the Rosetta method will 'grow on me' and I will soon get used to it. Set up was relatively easy, although I did have one of two minor hiccups getting the headphone/microphone set up, but this was soon overcome. The headphones themselves appear to be good quality and are comfortable to wear. Expensive the course may be, but I hope it will prove its worth when I go on holiday next year.

Village Fortunes (Turnham Malpas 17)
Village Fortunes (Turnham Malpas 17)
by Rebecca Shaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Rebecca Shaw's best., 9 Nov 2013
I have read all of the Turnham Malpas books, but for me I feel Rebecca Shaw has run out of steam. The stories are becoming laboured and whilst not completely predictable, for my part they are becoming what I would term 'Mills & Boonish'. I have nothing against Mills and Boon books and for those who like that kind of story all well and good - but they are certainly not my cup of tea. Perhaps this should be the last in the series and its time for the village to be put to bed. After all the series has had a good run and you can have too much of a good thing. Quit while you are still ahead Ms Shaw.

Family Roundabout
Family Roundabout
by Richmal Crompton

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a novel, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Family Roundabout (Paperback)
Until I read 'Family Roundabout' I was only familiar with Richmal Crompton through her William Brown children's stories. This latest read was a revelation - what an accomplished novelist! The novel published in 1948 just after the Second World War centres around two families - the Fowlers and the Willoughbys. The two family matriarchs are as different as chalk and cheese in the way the seek to guide their offspring. One takes the gentle approach, the other is more forceful and donimant in her dealings with her family. As the story unfolds it becomes plain that whichever their approach they have to accept their offspring as they are. No matter what happens we see that regardless of the consequences children and parents must show respect for each other, and in the end in order to find happiness they will either have to jump off the roundabout of their own accord or allow themselves to be pushed off and find a better life. A great read.

Wrongful Death (Audio Go)
Wrongful Death (Audio Go)
by Lynda La Plante
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Overlong and rather tedious, 14 Oct 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must confess that I have always found Lynda la Plante's novels too long and drawn out, somewhat messy and with far too much extraneous detail. I thought, however, I would give 'Wrongful Death' a try and chose the unabridged audio version. What a chore and a very tiring exercise. I cannot blame the reader, Kim Hicks, for she did a great job under the circumstances. 'Wrongful Death' is the ninth in the Anna Travis series and as an avid fan of the earlier TV series I had high hopes for this one. Josh Reynolds, a London nightclub owner was found dead at his flat and both the police and coroner are convinced it was a suicide. DCI Anna Travis was asked by her superior to review the case and the story goes on from there. Her boss DCS Langton tells her that as soon as she has brought the case to a conclusion she can join him on a training course at the FBI Academy in Virginia. So far, so good. But there is a possible spanner in the works for Jessie Dewar, a Senior FBI Agent and crime scene expert is put in Anna's team and from that moment on fur starts to fly and the original investigation team's findings are challenged. There follows a great deal of unnecessary detail, for example spelling out in great detail meals, clothing etc. eaten and worn by various characters and so on. The story would have greatly benefitted from being at least 5 hours shorter, and it would have held my interest longer. Admittedly the basic storyline is a good one and made me want to know more, but having to wade through hours of what seemed like padding, spoilt the story for me.

Miss Ranskill Comes Home
Miss Ranskill Comes Home
by Barbara Euphan Todd

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird and wonderful, 30 Sep 2013
An impossible tale with a twist of pathos and humour. Miss Ranskill was on a cruise when she leant over the side of the ship to retrieve her hat which had blown off. She leant over too far and as a consequence fell into the ocean. She was rescued by a shipwrecked carpenter and found herself on a desert island where she remained for three years, until she was picked up by a naval vessel escorting a convoy. She had no idea there was a war on - one which had been raging for almost three years, and the main part of the story is about her struggling to come to terms with a very different world to that which she had left. Her ways are different and she sees no harm in walking to town barefoot and lightly clothed. She has great difficulty in getting used to rationing and there is one incident when she eats her whole week's butter ration in one go, much to the anger and dismay of the person with whom she is staying. She had no idea that in order to buy clothes she needed clothing coupons and in order to eat she needed a ration book. Eventually, of course, Miss Ranskill comes to terms with her present situation, but she never forgot her time on the desert island. A delightful story and one well worth reading.

Shop4 Black Leather Pouch Case with Pull Release Tab For Samsung S5360 Galaxy Y Mobile Phone
Offered by Accessoryworld

4.0 out of 5 stars Good looking and practical, 28 Sep 2013
Excellent value for the money. Looks smart, fits my Samsung Galaxy phone like a glove. Easy to remove phone by pulling on tab. Less bulky than most phone cases, and is more discreet. However if you are someone who wants to show off your phone in a smart showy case this wouldn't be for you. I find this case ideal for my needs. It takes up less room in my bag. My son recently gave me a portable smart charger with microUB connector to give me more air time and I can fit this to my phone without having to struggle to remove it from the rigid case I had previously.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30