Profile for Mrs. V. Bradley > Reviews

Content by Mrs. V. Bradley
Top Reviewer Ranking: 488

Mrs. V. Bradley "bookaholic" (Kidderminster, Worcs., England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Wrongful Death (Audio Go)
Wrongful Death (Audio Go)
by Lynda La Plante
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Overlong and rather tedious, 14 Oct 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must confess that I have always found Lynda la Plante's novels too long and drawn out, somewhat messy and with far too much extraneous detail. I thought, however, I would give 'Wrongful Death' a try and chose the unabridged audio version. What a chore and a very tiring exercise. I cannot blame the reader, Kim Hicks, for she did a great job under the circumstances. 'Wrongful Death' is the ninth in the Anna Travis series and as an avid fan of the earlier TV series I had high hopes for this one. Josh Reynolds, a London nightclub owner was found dead at his flat and both the police and coroner are convinced it was a suicide. DCI Anna Travis was asked by her superior to review the case and the story goes on from there. Her boss DCS Langton tells her that as soon as she has brought the case to a conclusion she can join him on a training course at the FBI Academy in Virginia. So far, so good. But there is a possible spanner in the works for Jessie Dewar, a Senior FBI Agent and crime scene expert is put in Anna's team and from that moment on fur starts to fly and the original investigation team's findings are challenged. There follows a great deal of unnecessary detail, for example spelling out in great detail meals, clothing etc. eaten and worn by various characters and so on. The story would have greatly benefitted from being at least 5 hours shorter, and it would have held my interest longer. Admittedly the basic storyline is a good one and made me want to know more, but having to wade through hours of what seemed like padding, spoilt the story for me.

Miss Ranskill Comes Home
Miss Ranskill Comes Home
by Barbara Euphan Todd
Price: 14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird and wonderful, 30 Sep 2013
An impossible tale with a twist of pathos and humour. Miss Ranskill was on a cruise when she leant over the side of the ship to retrieve her hat which had blown off. She leant over too far and as a consequence fell into the ocean. She was rescued by a shipwrecked carpenter and found herself on a desert island where she remained for three years, until she was picked up by a naval vessel escorting a convoy. She had no idea there was a war on - one which had been raging for almost three years, and the main part of the story is about her struggling to come to terms with a very different world to that which she had left. Her ways are different and she sees no harm in walking to town barefoot and lightly clothed. She has great difficulty in getting used to rationing and there is one incident when she eats her whole week's butter ration in one go, much to the anger and dismay of the person with whom she is staying. She had no idea that in order to buy clothes she needed clothing coupons and in order to eat she needed a ration book. Eventually, of course, Miss Ranskill comes to terms with her present situation, but she never forgot her time on the desert island. A delightful story and one well worth reading.

Shop4 Black Leather Pouch Case with Pull Release Tab For Samsung S5360 Galaxy Y Mobile Phone
Offered by Accessoryworld
Price: 2.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Good looking and practical, 28 Sep 2013
Excellent value for the money. Looks smart, fits my Samsung Galaxy phone like a glove. Easy to remove phone by pulling on tab. Less bulky than most phone cases, and is more discreet. However if you are someone who wants to show off your phone in a smart showy case this wouldn't be for you. I find this case ideal for my needs. It takes up less room in my bag. My son recently gave me a portable smart charger with microUB connector to give me more air time and I can fit this to my phone without having to struggle to remove it from the rigid case I had previously.

Panasonic EW 1211 Dental Care Cordless Rechargeable Oral Irrigator
Panasonic EW 1211 Dental Care Cordless Rechargeable Oral Irrigator
Offered by Pharmacy Place
Price: 60.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor value, 28 Sep 2013
I had high hopes of this cordless rechargeable oral irrigator, but these were soon dashed. First of all it is very builky and unwieldy to hold. Secondly the water reservoir holds very little water and needs replenishing at least twice if one is to irrigate between all the teeth. And thirdly it is not particularly efficient at removing the bits and bobs which get in between the teeth. I have found a small manual inter-dental brush far more effective. All in all poor value for money.

5 Star Mouse Mat with 6mm Rubber Sponge Backing 248x220mm Blue
5 Star Mouse Mat with 6mm Rubber Sponge Backing 248x220mm Blue
Price: 2.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little mouse mat, 28 Sep 2013
I am really impressed with these very inexpensive mouse mats. They are far better than the ones which cost far more. I have been using one for just over a year, and the only thing wrong with it is the fabric has begun to come away from the backing. This has not been a problem for me because the fabric soon smoothes down again. However I will soon start to use one of the two replacements I have just bought - merely because the original is looking a bit shabby.

Laurels are Poison (Hogarth crime)
Laurels are Poison (Hogarth crime)
by Gladys Mitchell

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, enjoyable, but nothing special, 28 Sep 2013
This is an easy read reminiscent of some of the older style of girls boarding school stories. Set in a residential training college for teachers there are plenty of strange and underhand goings on. I do feel that at this stage in her writing career Gladys Mitchell was well past her best. But if as a reader you want something less taxing then this is the book for you. There are mysteries aplenty, and as usual Mrs Bradley has her own unique ways of finding out who dun it.

Kipling Coleene Women's Shoulder Bag Icepresso (Size: 37x25x16 cm)
Kipling Coleene Women's Shoulder Bag Icepresso (Size: 37x25x16 cm)
Price: 76.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Kipling, 28 Sep 2013
Kipling bags are rapidly becoming an obsession with me! They are very good quality. Look smart. Wear well. Just wish this one had a few more pockets inside.

2 Pack Black Stylus Touch Pens Works With All iPhones, iPods, iPad, Samsung Tabs and All Other Captive Phones and Tablets
Offered by Micropix
Price: 0.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 6 Sep 2013
These stylus touch pens are really excellent value and word well on my Nexus 10 tablet. They are not so good on my Samsung Galaxy smartphone, but that is a minor quibble. For the price I would thoroughly recommend them - and they do seem more efficient than many more expensive styli.

Kipling Womens Joslyn Shoulder Bag Caffe Latte K15170
Kipling Womens Joslyn Shoulder Bag Caffe Latte K15170

5.0 out of 5 stars Usual excellent Kipling quality., 6 Sep 2013
As a rapidly developingt Kipling bag addict I really like this larger type bag very much. It has plenty of pockets too and can be used as a large shoulder bag or across the body by using the larger strap. I am little doubtful that the miniscule zip pocket on the outside pouch will hold very much, but that is only a very minor quibble - it would probably by OK for a small bunch of keys or loose change. I think the colour could be more accurately described as light greay as to me 'caffe latte' indicates a slightly darker shade.

Kipling Unisex-Adult Hiphurray N Bag Organiser Blossom K12098280
Kipling Unisex-Adult Hiphurray N Bag Organiser Blossom K12098280
Offered by The Necessity

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - another great item from Kipling, 6 Sep 2013
I was pleasantly surprised when I unpacked this item to find what looked like a rather large fabric pencil case with a zip. When I undid the zip I the bag itself was revealed and the 'pencil case' turned out to be the base of the bag. What a great idea!. The bag is a really good size and looks really strong. I will be packing it in my suitcase for my upcoming holiday to put all the extra bits and bobs one tends to buy when away. I will also be using it often when I go shopping at home. Like the bright orange colour too.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30