Profile for Mrs B > Reviews

Mrs B

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly slow start..., 16 July 2013
Once I start a book, I generally find it hard to put down, but with this one I found it had a slightly slow start that did not hold my attention, such that I actually read another book in between! Having said that, when I got back into the book again, I did enjoy it and I would say the second half of the story is stronger than the first half - so stay with it! This may be because the second half becomes more about Harold's wife and her character is as interesting, if not more interesting, than Harold's.

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
by Sheryl Sandberg

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the backlash would make you believe..., 16 July 2013
Having read some of the comments in the press about this book, I had expected to hate it, but I actually enjoyed it and could relate to a lot of Sheryl's comments. It is certainly thought-provoking and the company I work for have held a drinks evening to consider the themes within the book and discuss what they mean for us. For any woman who is looking to progress in her career, this is a very worthwhile read.

The Other Guy's Bride
The Other Guy's Bride

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by its cover (well, not entirely...), 16 July 2013
I had looked beyond the Mills & Boon style front cover when I downloaded this book and I'm glad I did. Whilst somewhat predictable, this was an enjoyable read, with fun characters. I had not read the book that preceded this one and don't feel I really needed to, although the heroine's father makes a somewhat unnecessary appearance at the end, to presumably tie the book in with the previous story. Overall, an enjoyable and easy read.

A Little Princess
A Little Princess

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful story, 16 July 2013
This review is from: A Little Princess (Kindle Edition)
I am sure I read this book when I was much younger, and yet reading it this time around it was like a new story to me. There is something magical in how the reader weaves her tale and, whilst it is very sad at times, overall the story is incredibly uplifting.

The Language of Flowers
The Language of Flowers

5.0 out of 5 stars A story that stays with you, 16 July 2013
I really enjoyed this story. The main character was someone you could sympathise with and who you wanted to succeed. I also found that I was (unexpectedly!) really interested in the meaning of flowers and having read the book I have tried to buy flowers based on their meaning and the message I'm trying to convey - so it certainly is a story that has stayed with me! So an education as well as a thoroughly enjoyable read.