Profile for Steven R. McEvoy > Reviews

Content by Steven R. McEvoy
Top Reviewer Ranking: 950

Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Learn to Read  with Great Speed! Only 10 minutes a day! (How to Change Your Life in 10 Minutes a Day Book 2)
Learn to Read with Great Speed! Only 10 minutes a day! (How to Change Your Life in 10 Minutes a Day Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource., 15 May 2015
When someone heard I was reading this book they asked why. I read on average over 100 books a year. My reading speed is over 400 words per minute. But it was not always that way. I have a dual form of dyslexia and came out of grade 7 reading at a grade 3 level and went into grade 8 reading at a University level because I spent my whole summer break in school learning how to read. With this book you can achieve that in just 10 minutes a day! My answer was threefold, first I am always looking to improve and grown and second I often get asked for book reconditions for people looking to read more. And third I have loved all of Michal's books that I have read and want to read his complete cannon. Up until now I would always recommend either The Coles Notes Your Guide To Speed Reading or Teach Yourself Speed Reading from the Work Smarter series. Both of which I have read and recommended to numerous people who have had success in increasing their reading speed. But now my first pick now will be Michal's book!

Like the other books in the 10 Minutes a Day series this book follows a simple format but presents a lot of great information in a small concise package. The sections in the book are:

Introduction
Free Resources
The Stories
Nathaniel's Story
My Story
Conclusion

Early on Michal states: "Your background, your education, your interests, your general knowledge - all these factors influence your reading speed, because they determine your vocabulary and your reading confidence." And from my previous reading and experience that is very true. But based on Michal's story: "I'm living proof that a 10-minute practice can be fruitful. I can read more than 50% of what I read a year ago within the same time. I can read 90 minutes a day (including the speed reading practices) and still read the same amount of text that used to take me two hours to read a year ago." And that can be true for you also. So pick up the book and give it a try. As Michal declares "Value your time. Your time is your life. Start today, grab a book and use your finger as a pointer, or read and simultaneously pat your thigh rhythmically. Just for ten minutes. Discover that there is no magic in speed reading and keep practicing." And who knows what your reading speed may become, you will have more time to read or for other activities. Basically it is a win win situation for you.

How To Do A Handstand: Learn To Balance A Fearless Handstand In 20 Days Or Less
How To Do A Handstand: Learn To Balance A Fearless Handstand In 20 Days Or Less

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, 12 May 2015
Few books that I can recall ever reading were as disappointing as this one. This book was the first Kindle book that I have read after reading it completely. Basically the book is a short paragraph and then a link to a youtube video. The descriptions of the youtube video's overlap with the content in the book for that specific chapter. So you pay for the ebook and get links to publically available videos on the author's channel.

If you ever watched Friends, and how most of the gang respond to Janice's voice is like listening to Robin's video's. The only reasons I gave the book a 1 star and not 0 star rating, is that my reaction to his voice I know will not be all people's and second, some people might actually be able to use this to learn to do handstand. Second you cannot actually give it less than 1 star. For me it just would not work and paying for links to public video's seems ridiculous.

So my opinion of this book is it is less of a book and a brochure you buy with links to the real content.

Greatly disappointed and really cannot recommend it to anyone. I cant even give it an A for effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource!, 8 May 2015
This book showed up in my Amazon recommendations. I am very thankful that it did. Now at first I was hesitant to buy this book based on the price point, number of pages and not knowing the author. But at the time his book The Fitness Expert Next Door (How to Change Your Life in 10 Minutes a Day) was available for free on Amazon. I read it and loved it. I have read 5 of Stawicki's 8 books in the last few weeks and will finish the remaining books soon. One of the quotes from this book that grabbed me most was "Understand that each decision or action in your life could be the beginning of a change in direction." Reading this book can be one of those decisions for you!

Some reviews of Michal's books criticize the English. And Michal admits that his native tongue is not English, but he does an excellent job communicating. And the few rough phrasings are more than made up for by the quality of the content. In another review I compare his writings to those of Robin Sharma, Stephen R. Covey, Dan Millman and John C. Maxwell. This book is short, concise and relays some great information. And it is not just head knowledge it is knowledge that Michal has gained from making changes in his own life. The power of story, his story, and stories he uses of others to give examples beyond his own can motivate you to making changes in your own life.

The chapters in this book are:
1. The Instant Gratification Curse
15. Tracking
16. Focus
- Stan
17. No Blueprint
Summary

Each chapter has the main teaching points and then a Knowledge Items summary at the end, and some have action items so you can start putting the tips into practice. I found I copied a number of these Knowledge summaries as reminders of next steps. On page 22 he states "Intention, attitude, and commitment determine your consistency" This knowledge point was one of the most impactful for me in the book. He also provides links to some other articles, TED talks and other resources to go deeper on some of the key teachings. Later in the book he declares "If you wanted to walk north, you would follow a compass. The compass needle would show you the way. Reason-powered motivation is your internal compass, always pointing you north. It's the real reason for starting and continuing a discipline. It is a values-driven decision from deep inside that you want a certain result. Some days you will not feel much like going out and working toward it. The flames in your fire may be burning low from time to time, particularly after a big discouragement. But the fire never goes out.
You can't depend on emotion-based motivation to fuel consistency. Depending on emotional motivation is a recipe for catastrophe as emotions are not constant.
Rather, you should place much more reliance on reason-fueled motivation. The real reasons for a journey don't just disappear in one instant. Your ambition to go "north" will motivate you to keep going when the going gets tough. It can back you up when you lose your hope. It can add a needed pinch of passion to your mundane activities, which will make them interesting enough that you continue your journey. It may save your life literally and metaphorically." Further on he says: "You can do this too. Motivate yourself with purpose-driven self-talk and reflection every day, and you will enjoy a fresh source of sustained energy that will propel you towards your goals.
Motivation is a powerful tool. Look for ways to motivate yourself into action by drawing strength from the inspiration that comes from your ideas and the power that comes from your beliefs and values." From these two and the following quote "A life purpose is so powerful because, as its name says, it's a part of your whole life. It's always deep in your heart and will support you in your struggles" we get the main point of his argument. In order for changes to take hold, for them to last and become habits the desire to change needs to be values based, and not just passion based. From that values centred if you can craft your life purpose, and work towards it every day it will fuel the journey and drive the change even when you hit the hard times.

What is your purpose, are you striving towards something or just existing? Michal says: "Your personal philosophy is your life attitude, which is formed by all of your past experiences and the meanings you gave them. It's your accumulated life knowledge and wisdom. As you become aware that you have an attitude towards life, you can systematically investigate and develop it using your analytic abilities. Unfortunately, not many people do this. For most people, their personal philosophy is just something that has molded itself through various life experiences rather than something they deliberately shaped." Are you willing to work to find your purpose and then pursue it? If so this book and his book A Personal Mission Statement: Your Road Map to Happiness will help you along that path.

Some of the best advice in the books is: "Here are some ways we can work at the detail level to improve your general capacity to be consistent:
1. Make it as enjoyable as possible.
2. Make your goal public knowledge.
3. Make time for the activity you want to undertake.
4. Don't set the bar too high too early.
5. Make it easy to say yes (or no).
6. Track your progress.
7. Make decisions now."

Michal declares: "If you really want to be satisfied in your life, to say goodbye to your frustrations, you must start enjoying the process of achievement, not just the destination itself." So grab this book and start that journey, and if you are already on it, it will likely help you forward. "Realize this: there is no magic formula that ensures results through processes you will always enjoy. Keeping your focus on being consistent is often plain hard work. But if you don't get at least some satisfaction from the steps along the way, your chances for staying consistent in your efforts will lessen rapidly." So get the book and let's get to work!

Wheat Belly
Wheat Belly
by Davis, William MD

5.0 out of 5 stars Now to get it in practice., 1 May 2015
This review is from: Wheat Belly (Hardcover)
I have now read this book three times over the last three years. I must admit even with all the knowledge presented in the book there are still times that I struggle with it. It is hard in part because I am the only one in my family who has gone gluten free. It is very hard when pizza is in the house, or making toast of bagels for the kids. I really believe the message of this book, but I cannot force my wife to change or force changes in shopping habits until she is convinced. The other thing that makes it so very hard is how pervasive wheat is as an additive, filler, packager and more. Between wheat and corn you eliminate almost 80 of the groceries in the store, and if you try and go dairy free also take out another 10%.

That being said, I know I feel much better when I am following the advice in this book, and it is not just about the waist, and weight loss. It is about overall wellbeing, energy, emotional balance and just plain drive and focus are so much better by following the advice in this book. The Appendix 'Looking for Wheat in All the Wrong Places' will blow you away. The last time I had accidental exposure to gluten was a tin of Cashews, they were on sale and a different brand and my wife picked them up for me. I ate a couple of handfuls after a workout as a snack, an hour later I was feeling bloated, brain fog and generally unwell. I went and checked the can and wheat was listed as an ingredient. I literally could not believe it why in the world add it to the nuts?

I highly recommend this book and to be honest the practice of going wheat and mostly grain free. This book will bring the head knowledge you need to make an informed decision and then you will need to move it to heart knowledge so that you consistently put it into practice. That will be the hard work and I hope that Dr. William Davis new book Wheat Belly Total Health will help me get there!

The Fitness Expert Next Door: How to Set and Reach Realistic Fitness Goals in 10 Minutes a Day (How to Change Your Life in 10 Minutes a Day)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book amazing author!, 28 April 2015
I picked up this book to read for a few reasons. In part because Michal's book The Art of Persistence: Stop Quitting, Ignore Shiny Objects and Climb Your Way to Success, was recommended to me but I knew nothing about the author. It looked rather interesting but I am always a little leery of self-published authors with a number of smaller books on amazon. This book was currently being offered for free so I wanted to check out the writing style and content. I can only state categorically that I was immensely impressed. Even though this book comes in under 70 pages, I was only about half way through this one when I went and bought most of his other books.

Michal's native tongue is not English, but he does an excellent job communicating. In reading this book and parts of two others I would compare him to Robin Sharma, Stephen R. Covey, Dan Millman and John C. Maxwell. It is a mix of some incredible insight, great tips, practice advice and some good steps to get you there.

While reading this book I highlighted 19 passages and found some great advice. Some of those snippets are:

"What you need is an incentive. An internal motivation. A story which will make you think that this is actually doable in your case, too."

"There are only two 100% effective methods to not achieve any goal: never start or give up (before you reach it). But every - even the tiniest - consistent action brings result. It's the core of this philosophy and it overcomes the two major obstacles of any lasting change: fear of failure, which stops us even before we begin and giving up which stops us after we begin, but before we get things done."

"And I claim that your mindset is 80% of your weight loss."

"What amazes me is that the key factor to any lasting change is so often overlooked: you need a compelling reason to change."

"But you have to be conscious that your self-talk, this immaterial process taking part inside your head does affect your outer world. Thinking: "I'm fat, I'm hopeless, I'm fat" a hundred times a day is not going to help you either. Such thoughts are the shortest way to failure."

"The thinking takes place before action, but it is action which brings results. You need right thinking or good enough thinking in the first place, so you'll take action, persevere and not give up. And that is 80% of success. The last 20% is proper action, skills and knowledge."

"As long as you continue your commitment there is a chance to succeed. The moment you stop is the moment this chance is lost. Never give up."

"Every extremity is dangerous. But most of our society, me two years ago and probably you reading this book - are just on the other side of extreme. We are absolutely careless about what and how much we eat. We don't think about it at all. To the effect we eat too much. And that's the reason for our fat rolls."

"Being mindful makes miraculous changes to your behavior."

Those samples will give you a taste of the wisdom contained in this book and from my further reading across all his books. To be honest I picked up this book in part because it was being offered for free, but it opened me to the world of Michal Stawicki's writings and for that I am very grateful. I know that within short order I will have read all his books and be eagerly anticipating the next one.

Oddly Normal Book 1
Oddly Normal Book 1
by Otis Frampton

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story amazing art!, 14 April 2015
This review is from: Oddly Normal Book 1 (Paperback)
It has been a few years since I have read any graphic novels or comics, but the title and cover art on this one really grabbed my attention. I was not disappointed! It was a great read and I am looking forward to the other books in the series.

Oddly is a 10 year old girl, she is an outcast at school, and her home life is odd. He mother is a witch and her father human. And her life is never what she hopes it will be. On her 10th birthday she makes a wish and it comes true! But it is the sort of wish one regrets once it comes true. Now her parents have disappeared and he Aunt brings her to the world of magic to keep her safe. This is a world of vampires, werewolves, monsters and creatures unknown, and Oddly has ended up an outcast yet again.

The story in this book was great, but the artwork was amazing! The images are stunning; I have gone back and read the book three times through. This is a great graphic novel and I can highly recommend it.

Grit in Your Craw: The 8 Strengths You Need to Succeed in Business and in Life
Grit in Your Craw: The 8 Strengths You Need to Succeed in Business and in Life
by Robert Luckadoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 30 Mar. 2015
This book was one of my surprise reads so far this year. I had never head of the author. But the title of the book really grabbed my attention. I am in the middle of a yearlong leadership program at work and I have already recommended they add this to the reading list. It is one of the best business books I have read in years. At under a hundred and thirty pages it packs a lot of punch into a few pages.

In the introduction Robert states: "So the term "a little grit in your craw" refers to qualities like courage and determination that people use to "break down" challenging situations into manageable situations-qualities that we can use to take advantage of the opportunities God gives all of us." And also "My hope is that you find the eight essential strengths I cover in this book to be a road map for your success, a small prism of clarity in a world shrouded in fog. I hope you'll embrace these eight must-have qualities-diligence, tenacity, optimism, flexibility, discipline, resilience, confidence and purpose-and use them to your great advantage." And those 8 points are also the key chapters. The sections in the book are:

Foreword
7 Confidence
8 Purpose
A Closing Note
Acknowledgments

To be honest this book was so good that a few times I put it down to really work through the chapter. Even though they are short and to the point, a few times I restarted a chapter to really set the points.

Robert declares that "I hope the eight qualities that are the focus of this book inspire you to become a beacon of light for those in your life. I hope they help you to meet the challenges of your life with hope and promise. And most of all, I hope they inspire you to take advantage of every opportunity that God provides you." And having finished this book twice through now I know that it can do that if you are willing to read, be open and learn.

Chapter 4 was one of the most powerful for me, Flexibility! "Make a point to be more flexible in both your career and your personal life. You'll be a lot happier, and your family will, too." This was probably the single most important lesson for me. I love rules and procedures and under certain conditions that dedication has really helped me thrive professionally, but it has been a hindrance in family life, with my wife and children. This chapter had so many takeaways that I am trying to apply.

In the closing notes Robert declares: "If the window you aspire to reach is the one at the top of the carousel, the one that seems so far out of reach, all you have to do is embrace the eight qualities I've focused on in this book and make them a part of your daily routine. Success doesn't come easily-it comes through a calculated, deliberate, mode of operation in your daily life-and these eight qualities will act as a foundation for that success. If exercised diligently and with a tenacious spirit, they'll take you to the next level in your career and in your personal life. They'll take you to the top of the carousel, where you can jump through the window that's offering you the opportunity to achieve your greatest ambitions." And it is so true.

This is a great book. I have already recommended it to a number of people. It will help you have greater success in both your personal and professional life.

Reboot with Joe: Fully Charged - 7 Keys to Losing Weight, Staying Healthy and Thriving: Juice on with the creator of Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead
by Joe Cross

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 26 Mar. 2015
This book is one of the best health and fitness books I have ever read! In fact it was so good that as soon as I finished reading it, I started reading it a second time. Joe Cross is just a regular guy who decided to Juice for 60 Days and see if he could turn around some of his health issues. At the time he had no idea he was starting a movement that now spans the globe. This book is the latest from Joe Cross and has some no nonsense approach to finding and maintaining a balanced life. And one of the first things he will tell you is what works for him might not work for you but there are some principles that will help you wind what will work for you.

Early in the book Joes states: "Ornish likes to joke that the first dietary "intervention" was when God told Adam and Eve not to eat the apple. "That didn't work, and that was God talking," he says, "so we're not going to do better than that."." And it is true Joe is not ever going to tell you to never do something or always do something else. Instead he focuses on that last 2 feet of freedom, from you hand to your mouth and learning to make better choices in those last 2 feet. The 7 principles Joe has discovered and shared in this book are:

1. Change Your Relationship to Food (Don't Abuse Food)
2. Change Your Diet (Eat the Right Stuff)
3. Change Your Habits About Food (Find a New Groove)
4. Embrace Community (Get a Little Help From Your Friends)
5. Maintain the Machine (Follow the Upkeep Manual)
6. Practice Mindfulness (Chill Out)
7. Respect Yourself

And to be honest there is not much complicated about hose seven things. That is knowing it versus doing it - KIVDI! Most of us know what we should be doing and some have even done it for periods but when we fail. And a big part of it comes down to community, support and learning why we do what we do. In the book there is a major chapters on each of these 7, and the chapters end with a series of questions to help you go deeper and find your answers. And also a testimony from one of the Reboot With Joe Community members who has or is working on this area. These stories are some of the most incredible and motivating parts of this book.

According to Joe we need to: "Being aware The most basic way to improve your relationship with food is awareness. If you are truly conscious of the food you are consuming, or are about to consume, this will make a huge impact on the way you eat." And we can do that by working through this book. He also states "But we also want to be aware of our food in order to be thankful for it. Not forgetting about it in some mindless act of consumption. Not bolting it down fast on our way to somewhere else. Not being so disconnected from how food is prepared that we are no longer participants in the process." Joe says food is neither good or bad, it is not black or white, buy how we use food can be either beneficial or harmful. There are good better foods to eat and those that are less good for us. We need to find what works for us and then be sure he have the support in our lives to live it out.

This book is not a diet book to help you lose weight in a specific amount of time. It is a book about finding the lifestyle choices for food and exercise that work for you so that you can not only exist but learn to thrive and live life fully charged. It is a great read and I highly recommend it!

Blood Brothers: A Short Story Exclusive (The Order of the Sanguines series)
Blood Brothers: A Short Story Exclusive (The Order of the Sanguines series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Mar. 2015
As I have stated before about this series, it has been a long time since a new author or series has seized me as much as these authors and this series. In a few days I read this short story, the first novel and the prequel short story. In fact The only reason I did not jump into book 2 was to take some time to write reviews of the first three I read.

The Order of Sanguines is a secret society within the Catholic church, they are sworn to fight the Strigoi, vampires, but they also have other secrets. And this story follows two brothers Christian and Arthur, it also follows a series of murders that took place in the 70's and the story is being recounted by Arthur. It provides some interesting backstory about the Order of the Sanguines. It really wets the appetite foe book 2 Innocent Blood.

I know it has become a trend for publishers to want short stories set in and around series. Either to draw attention or hype to new books, back fill stories, and keep readers interested. But sometimes these stories are just fodder to fill time, this is not one of those books. This was a great little read. The introduction to Christian and his story is excellent. In fact it left me desperate to read book 2. In fact this short story was so good it is a pity there was not one before book three came out.

A great short story well worth checking out.

Confessions of A Failed Slut
Confessions of A Failed Slut

4.0 out of 5 stars Penetrating Insight, 4 Mar. 2015
I have been a fan of Shaidle's writings for a number of years. He God Rides a Yamaha is one of my favorite books from this past decade. When I saw that she had a new short eBook out I had to give it a read. And to be honest I had a literary crush on her. But that aside this was a piercing book.

Kathy has deep penetrating insight, into culture, trends and an uncanny ability to call bull when she sees or smells it. But unlike many critiques , she can turn that intense scrutiny upon herself and through honest look at herself, then criticize the follies in society at large.

She states "I sometimes wish I didn't see the world like this, through a Gen-X filter of self-defensive snark. I didn't always." But she does and she does it very well. This book is equal parts criticism and humour at how we got here as a society. She also declares "As my fiftieth birthday looms, I feel myself finally growing into my lifelong fogey-dom, and it's a comfortable fit, for me if not for anyone else." And she may be a self-described fogey be she is also a firecracker and political analyst.

If you want a great read that will make you think and make you laugh give this book a try!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20