Profile for Steven R. McEvoy > Reviews

Content by Steven R. McEvoy
Top Reviewer Ranking: 954

Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Circle Maker for Kids The
Circle Maker for Kids The
by Batterson Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for children of all ages, 6 Jan. 2014
After having read a number of the other Circle Maker books by Mark Batterson, I was really excited to get this and share it with my children. It did not disappoint. It is an amazing book for kids to teach them the importance of praying and praying about and for everything. The story is wonderfully done for children. The illustrations by Antonio Javier Caparo are amazing. My son loves picking up the book and just going through the pictures again and again. This book will be a great gift for any young children in your life. It is amazing.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
by Holly Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 6 Jan. 2014
I have yet to read a book or short story by Holly Black that I have not enjoyed, in fact he books almost always end up in my Top ten List for the quarter or the year. But this book blew me away. It takes the original short story by the same name and expands upon it in such an amazing way. It is a story of revenge, of survivors' guilt, of hope and of love. It is a vampire story that asks lots of questions and leaves many things open to interpretation.

Coldtowns is the American response to a worldwide vampire epidemic. Vampires, and those infected are isolated into walled cities. Humans can enter but you can only get out with a token earned by turning in a vampire. Coldtowns have life feeds to the internet making them look like a part every night. But the reality is darker, bloodier and a mix of prey and predator.

Tana is a teenage but not typical. Her mother had become a vampire and attached her. She constantly deals with the guilt of that event. One morning she wakes up in a house full of corpses after a party, her and her overly charming and conniving ex-boyfriend are the only two left alive. Chained in the room with her ex is a vampire. Tana decides to tray and save them both. In order to try and save them she must race to the heart of the nearest coldtown but like so much in life not all is as it appears.

This story was gripping and compelling. I did not want to put it down. The story with take you through a range of emotions, from anger to sympathy, to angst to hope. But of all emotions hope is the most dangerous. This book will take you for a ride, and leave you wanting more.

How I Got Rich Writing C Papers
How I Got Rich Writing C Papers
by Andy Hueller

5.0 out of 5 stars Know a few people who could have, 5 Aug. 2013
This is the second book by Andy Hueller that I have read. The first was Skipping Stones at the Center of the Earth and it was a great read. So I jumped at the chance to read another book by the author. It did not disappoint.

Charles Remington Dremmel has a great business going. He writes papers for other students. He started with a plan in Grade 9 and by senior year, was writing papers for almost every student in his school. But he has very specific requirements. In the contract it states: "will compose, proof, and print every written assignment for the school year".

His rates are:
$5 for D's
$10 for C's
$20 for B's
And $100 for A's and that is per paper.

Charles has a plan and that plan means making enough money to go to any college he wants to. But during his senior year things start to change. There is going to be a writing assignment in school, the blue book exam. And some of his clients have not written a paper in years. He needs to come up with a plan to save his own hide and that of his clients. For Charles, writing has always been easy and throughout this book he shares his writing times that will help you become a student who constantly achieves whatever writing grade you desire. The book is full of humor, writing tips, and lots of good clean fun. It was a great read and I really enjoyed it. And I look forward to Mr. Hueller's next offering with eager anticipation!

Scoubidou (Klutz)
Scoubidou (Klutz)
by April Chorba

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 5 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Scoubidou (Klutz) (Paperback)
This book and activity kit comes with everything you need to complete 14 amazing projects. But to be honest it is just a jumping off point. Once you have learned the basics you can buy your own supplies and you and your children will be doing fun crafts and activities for years to come.

What you get:

Beads: small beads, big beads, toggle beads and pony beads
Scoubidou
Lanyard clips
Key Rings
Instruction book with built in ruler

The book comes out of the supplies case and can be kept separately while working on the projects, and then stored once those included are completed.

The sections in the book are:

Bracelet Basics
Woven Whatzit
Toggle Bracelet
Classic Lifeguard Lanyard
Wrist Lanyard

The book also has a history of Scoubidou, hollow tube-like plastic cord, to a song and musician in the late 1950's. It is very different from gymp (gimp) which is a flat cord. It is a great kit and sure to be a favorite. It will definitely provide hours of fun.

Bookmark Days
Bookmark Days
by Scot Gardner

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 5 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Bookmark Days (Paperback)
Last year I read Scot Gardner's The Dead I Know and it completely blew me away. This is the fourth book I have read by Gardner in under a year and each has impressed me. But there was something very different about this one. When I bought it I did not know it was part of a series called Girlfriend Fiction. And if I had known that I might not have purchased it. But that would have been my loss. The story has an amazing premise and is wonderfully written.

Avril Stanton lives in the outback of Australia. Her family farms and has sheep. They also have a blood feud with the neighbors the Carrignton's. But Avil sees her live as a book, some days are bookmark days, days you will remember forever. And other days are days with dog-eared pages. That concept immediately struck a chord with me. The story is part Romeo and Juliette it is also a teen coming of age story. It is also the story about family and learning to do what is right even if it is not popular.

This was an amazing read. With every book I read by Scot Gardner I become more impressed with his skill. This book completely different than anything else I have read shows an amazing range of skill. This is a book I can highly recommend!

Fyrelocke: Jack Boomershine and the Prophecy Untold: 1 (Fyrestones)
Fyrelocke: Jack Boomershine and the Prophecy Untold: 1 (Fyrestones)
by R. Christopher Kobb
Edition: Perfect Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story good beginning, 5 Aug. 2013
Some books just take you by surprise. I must admit that the cover of this book grabbed my attention and the description of the book was compelling. But neither prepared me for the magical adventure that this story would be, and let's hope it is just the beginning of a much longer tale. The story is similar to N.D. Wilson's 100 Cupboards in both style and substance. It is a very fun story filled with twists and turns that will surprise even the most veteran readers. It will also be an excellent read for the intended audience of pre-teens and young adults.

Jack Boomershine is a young inventor, a scientist a young man focused on the mind and the future. But a series of strange events pull him into a world he did not even know existed and is well beyond anything his science can explain. It all begins with some strange text messages, and while on a field trip in the cliffs of Brighton Jack is led to a mysterious stone. This person of science must learn to find his way in a world of magic, mystery, telepathy and more. He will encounter an ancient evil and more. He goes on this adventure with his best friend Chase and soon finds new friends along the way.

This book was an excellent read. It had a number of dark illustrations that added to the story and will be of special interest to younger readers.

Johnny Hangtime
Johnny Hangtime
by Dan Gutman

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Read!, 5 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Johnny Hangtime (Paperback)
Dan Gutman has written over 100 books, this was the sixth book by Dan that I have read and with each one I have a greater respect for his skill, talent and diversity as a writer. This was a great story that I could not put down. I read it in two sittings, and then went back and reread it because it was so fun. It's is a great story that children and some parents or older readers will really enjoy. I mean how awesome is a book that begins with jumping off the Empire State building. In some ways reading this is like reading a back story to the Mission Impossible movies, but with a kid 13 year old kid as the action hero, and man does he love his action.

Johnny thyme aka Johnny Hangtime is a stunt man, or really a stunk kid. You won't see his name in the credits because he is sworn to secrecy about the stunts he does for the handsome and famous Ricky Corvette! His contract is so severe he can't go to gym class, school dances or anything that could prevent him from doing stunts or as they call it pulling a gag. But this latest film has a gag that just might be too much. Johnny's dad was one of the all-time best stuntmen, who perished trying to go over Niagara Falls. Now Johnny has been asked to do the same.

This story has a number of plot twists that took me by surprise. It was an incredibly enjoyable read. My highest rating for a book is my level of desire to share it with my kids. This I one I know they will love when they are older, and I will enjoy rereading with them!

Another great book by an amazing author!

Yoga for Regular Guys: The Best Damn Workout on the Planet of Page, Diamond Dallas on 28 October 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome fitness resource!, 30 July 2013
Some books have an immediate impact on your life. It changes your way of thinking, your goals, and your focus. This is one of those books. I started implementing stuff from the book before finishing it. I also started back at the beginning and reread it straight through a second time. Fortunately I happened upon the book by chance. My first introduction to Yoga with Diamond Dallas Page was a Facebook share of the video 'Never, Ever Give Up. Arthur's Inspirational Transformation!' It really blew me away. So I immediately started looking into DDP Yoga. I found out that it started with a book. And being a bibliophile I had to check out the book. Here is the history of the progression of YRG to DDP Yoga.

Timeline:
2010 - YRG Fitness System Advance Set
2011 - Rebranded as DDP Yoga
2012 - DDP Yoga Extreme
2013 - Yoga For Regular Guys - Published in eBook format

Fortunately the book had just been republished as an eBook. So I got a copy and started read and rereading. I have been back and forth through the book a number of times in a short time. The book has a hilarious forward by Rob Zombie. The sections in the book are:

Table of Contents:
CHAPTER 5 Inspiration, Motivation, and Congratulations
ABOUT THE YRG CREW
RESOURCES
INDEX

The book is an incredible resource for people wanting to make lifestyle changes. If you're a couch potato you can start, if you're active you can take it to the next level, if you're an athlete it will only help improve your game and performance! At the time of writing this I have been doing Yoga with DDP intermittently for 2 months and then every day for 20 days, I am down 17lbs and feel better than I have in a long time. In that time my shoulder that has bothered me off and on for years because of a torn rotator cuff is better than it has ever been. My mood and energy is way up. And I have talked a number of people into giving it a try. So far they have all loved it.

DDP states that he wrote the book to help regular guys and regular gals. Part of the way he does that is he encourages you to set goals using SMACK!

S: SPECIFY
M: MONITOR
A: ACHIEVE
C: CHOOSE
K: KEEP IT GOING

He also encourages you to join Team DDP Yoga, there you will find a community of supportive, likeminded people. You can read success stories, join groups and forums, and there is a continuous online life chat on the go. The book features 15 people showing the moves, many of the moves are in the book more than once in different routines and programs, often with different people showing them. These 15 people range from retired military, to musicians. All kinds of people have seen improvement in their health and life through following DDP's programs. Musicians, retired wrestlers, pro wrestlers, pro ball players, and regular guys and gals like me and you!

If you read this book and apply only some of it you will have achieved positive changes in your life. If you apply most of it, who knows the amazing changes you can achieve, and through that the impact and influence you can have on friends and family through your transformation! Also if you read this book your likely to want to progress and move forward with the DVD's you can get at DDP Yoga.

Yoga for Regular Guys: The Best Damn Workout on the Planet!
Yoga for Regular Guys: The Best Damn Workout on the Planet!

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome fitness resource., 30 July 2013

A 40-Day Spiritual Workout for Catholics
A 40-Day Spiritual Workout for Catholics
by Bob Rice

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 29 April 2013
This book was a spiritual treasure trove. I loved it! Each day I looked forward to the straightforward devotional and teaching. I especially loved reading the digital edition and always having it on me, on my phone, my iPad, my computer at work and home. Bob Rice has put together a great tool here that will spur spiritual growth and deeper devotion.

Each day has the following components:
Title:
Hydration: Bible verse or quotes.
Reflection: Meditation
Muscle-Building: Intercession
Cardiovascular: Praise
Cool Down: Prayer

The book is written in such a way that you have a short reading or readings each day from the bible; then quotes from Catholic authors, the Catechism or church writings. Then comes the teaching. And trust me, Bob's teaching is marvelous. This book will help you develop spiritual disciplines and improve upon those you already have. Once you start, you will find you keep up the habits well beyond the 40 days. It is a great read and I recommend it to anyone who wants a deeper spiritual life.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20