Profile for Steven R. McEvoy > Reviews

Content by Steven R. McEvoy
Top Reviewer Ranking: 984

Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tin Star
Tin Star
by Cecil Castellucci

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Story, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Tin Star (Hardcover)
Every book I read by Cecil Castellucci impresses me more than the last. I have read each of her book multiple times and often go back for a quick reread because I enjoy them so much. This one even more so.

To journey to the star's is something humans have dreamed about for generations. Unfortunately once we got there we were considered a minor species and Earth Gov retreated back into an isolationist stance. But for Tula Bane, aboard the Prarie Rose, is a young woman journeying to a new colony called Beta Grande with a group called the Children of Earth. Led by the unequivocal and charming Brother Blue. The novel begins with Tula being beaten unconscious and abandoned by Brother Blue for asking too many questions. She is abandoned on the remote station the Yertina Feray, there she is helped and becomes partners with Heckleck a soft of giant alien beetle and strange aid from a Loor, the constable on the station Tournour.

Tula Bane is a no-nonsense type of girl. She is learning to do what she must to survive. She is the only human on a remote space station with no way to get home and no way to move on. She is stuck grieving for her lost family and for being betrayed and abandoned. When a trio of humans about her age arrive and immediately start offending everyone on board she is torn between the life she has built on the station and the need to communicate with her own species. The book has a number of twists and turns many leaving you hanging.

I must state I loved the book and have already read it twice. I reached out to Miss Castellucci upon finishing it and have confirmed there is a second book coming in 2015. This was one of my favorite reads in 2013 and I highly recommend it!

Manduka Black Mat Pro
Manduka Black Mat Pro
Offered by YogaStudio
Price: £75.00 - £85.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best investment other than time for your practice, 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Manduka Black Mat Pro (Misc.)
I have owned a number of workout mats over the years, and up until now my favourites were either by Gaiam or from Beachbody. I currently have 6 mats in the house from 4 different manufactures. When I asked for a $100 yoga mat for Christmas my wife thought I was a little nuts. But since I have spent over 150 hours practising yoga in the last 6 months I felt it was worth the investment. From all that I had heard the Manduka was the best of the best. I must admit I had very high expectations when I got this mat and it has exceeded them all. Diamond Dallas Page the creator of DDP Yoga only uses these mats and after using one for more than a month now I can see why.

On the Manduka site the specifications for this Mat are:
Slip resistant, yet non-sticky, even when wet from light perspiration
Provides stability on hard or soft surfaces
Oeko-Tex certified, emissions-free manufacturing
100% latex free, and safe to use for people with latex sensitivities

I had originally asked for the Pro Lite but received the Pro, I was glad for this mix up. I was concerned about constantly carrying around the extra weight but the comfort more than makes up for it. My wife who wondered at spending $100 on a yoga mat, now complains when I take it to work for classes there, because it means it will not be at home for her to use. My only regret now is that I did not get the longer one, but maybe I will and pass mine on to my wife. I once heard Arthur Boorman asked in an interview if the Manduka was worth the price, he stated it was so good his son has asked that it be left to him in his will. I have also head others say you can pry the mat from my cold dead hands. DDP Yoga It Ain't Your Mama's Yoga and a Manduka Pro Ain't her Mat! It is the best dam mat on the planet!

No Title Available

Sorrow's Knot
Sorrow's Knot
by Erin Bow

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down, 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Sorrow's Knot (Hardcover)
Erin Bow is a local author and though I have yet to meet her in person with each of her books I read I have a greater appreciation for her skill and talent as a written, from her poetry published as Erin Noteboom. This book was a very compelling read, once started it was always hard to put down. And I found that for days afterword's the story and characters kept coming back to mind. Sometimes remembering the events from the story and sometimes wondering what happened later.

Sorrow's Know is set in what could be comparably a Native agrarian socity. But it is a world haunted and living things are hunted and always need to be vigilant for every patch of darkness or shadow can contain the shadow beings that will enter you and consume you. Most people live in the plains away from trees, forests, hills, and there shadows. But some carve out an uneasy living in the forest, living in towns protected by wards made from magically knotted cords. Each young woman is chose to train or apprentice under another so that the community will always have the skills it needs to survive. Otter believe her mother will chose her to train as a binder under her as she becomes a woman and takes he place in society. She is devastated when Willow does not pick her and it is just the beginning of things becoming untied.

With a great darkness rising and an attack coming can the untrained and unprepared Otter figure out what needs to be done to save not only her friends but her whole village? This is an incredibly well written book give it a try!

Unsoul'd
Unsoul'd

4.0 out of 5 stars WHat would you sell your soul for?, 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Unsoul'd (Kindle Edition)
Any book that begins with this line is going to be interesting: "That day, I had a bagel for breakfast and sold my soul to the devil. In retrospect, the bagel was probably a mistake." You see Randall Banner is thirty-five years old, a struggling author with a devoted fan base who is desperate for more, yes he wants more money, more fans more of everything. I recently had the opportunity to interview Randall and now for more about the book about him!

Randall Banner sells his soul to the devil in order to get a mega hit book. He wants to be Stphen King big, J.K. Rowlings big. No he wants to be bigger he wants to be more. But sometimes success comes at unexpected costs and with unexpected complications. Randall is about to find out that all his dreams and most of his fantasies can come true but what has he given up to get them.

Read this awesome book and follow Randall as he pursues everything on his bucket list and then some. Find out if there is an out? Or figure out how it feels to lose your soul.

This book is Barry Lyga's first adventure into adult fiction. As someone who love his Young Adult writing. I did approach this with a little trepidation but it was unwarranted. No be warned there is a lot of graphic sex in this book, there is lust, gluttony, greed, avarice just about all the 7 deadly sins. But it is a great read and will keep you glued to the pages. So join Randall as he goes on a romp from struggling author to mega star!

Doll Bones
Doll Bones
by Holly Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Doll Bones (Hardcover)
From the second I saw the cover of this book there was something that compelled me to track it down and read it. It was likely a combination of being a big fan of Holly Black's works and something about the cover made me think about the book Children by Maggie Clark. And this book did not disappoint. This book was my top pick in the second quarter of 2013 and my second top fiction read in all of 2013. But that being said it had taken me a long time to circle back and write my review. In part I was hesitant because the book had such a strong impact I did not want to over react in my praise of it. And in part the book is different enough I was unsure how to approach writing a review of it. The story is dark, spooky, a little creepy and a whole lot of awesome.

Poppy, Alice and Zach have been friends for a log long time. And for most of their friendship they have played 'The Game' a continuous and continuously changing game. They use props for the game and take turns deciding what happens next, it is a high adventure of thieves, mermaids, pirates and more. But ruling over all the lands is the Great Queen, a bone china doll, who resides in a display case. The Great Queen will curse and dispose of those who displease her in the game. When Zach suddenly stops playing and declares the game over mid adventure it looks like their friendship might be at an end also. But Poppy lets the others know she has been dreaming about the Queen, and soon the game and reality seem mixed and the three going on a real adventure to help put a restless spirit to rest.

The story was a very compelling read. Almost like a campfire ghost story coming to life. Something to entertain that ends up scaring. It was very well written. If you are a fan of Black's other works it is a great addition to her canon. If you like a spooky story this one will grab you and not let go!

The Man in the Moon (The Guardians of Childhood)
The Man in the Moon (The Guardians of Childhood)
by William Joyce

5.0 out of 5 stars Children love it, 14 Feb. 2014
First I must state that my children and I love the movie Rise of the Guardians, so when we started reading books about some of the characters there was a little trepidation, at least on my part. But those worries were unfounded, this and other picture books we have read by William Joyce have all been amazing! This story tells the tale of the Man in the Moon or MiM for short. He was the first guardian, and his story begins before the dark times, for he was born during the golden age, a time of hope, happiness and a time when dreams could come true. The moonboot crew whistled jolly "toot toot's" and the giant glowworms provided light for him to read. And he had a guardian named Nightlight a devoted friend who watched over him. Their ship their home the moon clipper sailed from one peaceful planet to another. Ever night Nightlight sprinkled dreamsand over the MiM and sang him this lullaby:

"Nightlight, bright light
Sweet dreams I bestow.
Sleep tight, all night.
Forever I will glow."

And as long as Nightlight watched over him he was safe from nightmares. But darkness came to the golden age it came in the shifting shape of Pitch, the king of nightmares. He sought out this boy who had never had a nightmare and vowed to make him a price of nightmares. The MiM's parents were taking him to earth to him him when out of the night came Pitch, on his Nightmare Galleon.

The MiM's parents made Nightlight take an oath:
"We will watch over the children of the Earth,
Guide them safely from ways of harm,
Keep happy their hearts, brave their soul, and rosy their cheeks.
We will guard with our lives their hopes and dreams,
For they are all that we have, all that we are,
And all that we will ever be."
A great battle was waged. But that is just the beginning of the story. To find out the rest of the tale you will need to read this wonderful book.

The story is wonderful and the illustrations are fantastic. My children will pick up this book and go through the pictures again and again. Overall a wonderful book for the whole family!

Be a Prayer Warrior and Use Words Wisely: 30 Declarations and Prayers to Speak Victory into Your Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome resource, 14 Feb. 2014
I was actually browsing the Kindle story for prayer books by Stormie Omartian when this one caught my eye. Words do have incredible power, the words spoken over us, the words we speak to ourselves in our heads; the words that become our reality in our day to day life. But those words can hurt, cripple and destroy or they can be words for life. Now to be honest over the last 25 years I have read numerous books on prayer, and books of prayers. There is not much new in this volume. But it is written with such straight forward faith and devotion. It will encourage and challenge you. You will find some of the prayers speak directly to you that day and will speak them aloud a number of times. Others will be prompted to share with others or to pray them over friends, families or situations you are aware of. This book is 30 declarations of faith paired with 30 prayers. I have prayed them each aloud and plan to do so again.

The 30 Declarations are:
God is My Healer
I Have A Sound Mind Grounded in God's Truth
I Will Thank the Lord for Adversity by Singing Praises
Nothing Will Separate Me From God Almighty

Reading this book took me back to when I was new at being serious about being a Christian, it reminded me of books by Bill Bright and Neil T. Anderson, Billy Hybels and more. It is a short book with prayers that have the power to transform your life. This was an amazing little book and I look forward to reading more from Glenn in the near future and I am already rereading and praying this one. And to be honest you cannot beat the price points on the ebooks by Glenn.

Crush. Candy. Corpse.
Crush. Candy. Corpse.
by Sylvia McNicoll

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting!, 6 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Crush. Candy. Corpse. (Paperback)
This book took me completely by surprise. I was intrigued from the first time I saw the cover and title. I found that I kept thinking about it and once I finally read it I found that I thought about it for weeks after finishing it. The story is amazingly well written, it is told in two parts a trial and Sunny remembering the events that led up to the charges. It all started with required community service hours to finish school.

From the very beginning we knew a tragedy was coming, but we did not know how. We had no idea what got us from where we were to a corpse. Sonja Anna Ehret aka Sunny has been charged with manslaughter, the story takes place a year after the events. The trial begins and Sunny is living through the trial and remembering the story as she experienced it. Sunny was volunteering at Paradise Manor because she had to for school. But while there she meets Cole Demers a young man about her age that comes almost every day to visit his grandmother. They develop a friendship and often spend their time at the manor together helping the older people. Cole shares with Sunny that he promised his grandmother that he would help he pass if it was needed. After an accident Sunny feels responsible for, she is faced with questions or loyalty, commitment and following through.

This is one of the best books I have read in the last year. It will make you think. It will stir your heart. Give it is read it is truly a gem!

The Testing
The Testing
by Joelle Charbonneau

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginning, 6 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Testing (Hardcover)
This book surprised me, plain and simple. I must admit when reading about the book I knew I would end up comparing it to the Hunger Games and know that many other would also. And to be honest for about the first third of the book I was asking myself 'How would Katniss handle this?' or 'how would Collins have written that'? But soon this story grabbed me and took me to places I had not yet imagined. It was an amazing read and I cannot wait for the next installment in the story. In a world devastated by the Seven Stages War, no one is really safe. There are zones or colonies where the survivors try and survive and try and repair the earth and the environment. Yet even there things are not as they seem, as Cia Vale discovers when she is selected to be a testing candidate. On the eve of her selection her father warns her that the testing would be devastating, he warns her to trust no one.

From the beginning I found myself trusting Cia. Cheering her on. It was an excellent read. But I must warn you the ending is very suspenseful and leaves you wanting the next book right away.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20