Profile for Mrs. D. L. Powell > Reviews

Content by Mrs. D. L. Powell

Mrs. D. L. Powell "davinalouise" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Football Crazy: Football does not get crazier
Football Crazy: Football does not get crazier

4.0 out of 5 stars a terrific look at non league football and its foibles., 17 Mar 2012
If like me you were raised on non-league football, and do not own / have never owned a Chelsea or Man United shirt, you will enjoy this book. Interestingly it is not just the players and manager who are central to the storyline. We also get to see the fanatic fan who stops at no length to demonstrate his love for his beloved team (shame they had three mismatching colours in their home strip - maybe the family pet would have not been so anstry if it had been a standard one colour), as well as those reporting on the fortunes of the team. With the arrival of Mr. Price we also get to see first hand how much power is wielded by the Chairman of any club. Far too much really.

The policing approach is somewhat over the top, but having experienced football hooliganism in the 1980's as a police woman, I could sort of understand where Screwer was coming from. Having said that, the police were not shown in a good light but hey - humour and farce will know no bounds when poking fun. (Just as an aside, I for one know the chances of seeing a senior officer outside his office WITHOUT there being a serious incident will be as likely as seeing Haley's Comet land in your back garden. The chances of seeing one on a horse - odds grow dramatically...lol)

The only aspect missing for me is the changing room banter during games, as well as on the field exchanges during those 90 mins. We get to know the results but it is more a retrospective thing shown through the eyes of the very unbiased (not) eyes of the radio presenter and local rag sports writer. I would have loved to have seen those 'go on, on the head son!' exchanges but this is only a minor wish on my part. In no way detracts from the fact I really enjoyed this offering from Terry. Oh and talking of the news reporter, I did chuckle when reading his pre season planned headlines. No doubt most writers have them lined up ready for use at the appropriate during the season :)

Those outside of the UK who have no idea about football/soccer may not appreciate all the irony or humour as much as those who have been party to standing on a freezing terrace, trying to drink tea that is so hot it could scald the coating off a space shuttle as it re-enters the atmosphere. If you have been there - read this. It will bring back many fond memories.

Arcana
Arcana

3.0 out of 5 stars an okay read, 25 Feb 2012
This review is from: Arcana (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this book as I am a tarot reader, and there is a real shortage of novels which have tarot as the basis of the story. Sadly, the role of the tarot didn't really play much part so any tarot reader out there needs to be prewarned. It really is only secondary to the story.

The characters are interesting enough but I found you didn't really warm to any of them. Fern was perhaps the only one who really elicits any emotion from the reader, and that is usually in the form of a shudder. I would have loved to have seen his personality develop so we could understand his motives for his actions. Sadly, we didn't really ever get to know why.
Otherwise the story ambles along and doesn't really ignite. I think even the ending could have been improved on. There was no hint of a twist and it really did fizzle out without ever really get going.

This is not the worst book I have read, but it is not one I could easily recommend.

This Is The Police
This Is The Police

3.0 out of 5 stars side splitting funny, 17 Feb 2012
This had me near on spluttering into a cup of tea from the first page. Incredibly funny, and times you wince but can't help laughing. The first half of the book follows the fortunes of a newly formed sureveillance squad, and the misfortunes of those who try to manage it. Some of their exploits defy belief, but having been a police woman myself through the 1980's and 1990's I can actually believe some of this could / did happen.

So why only three stars? Well, the author does try to stay in character and write first person speech with what believe is a Geordie accent. It does make for difficult reading at times, and more than once I had to reread the sentence, or say it it out loud to understand it. Bearing in mind this book is also available on amazon.com, there is a chance it will more than confuse those not used to that dialect. At times, I felt the use of punctuation also made it difficult to read. Some commas seemed to be missing, but that is only a minor point and not one to unduly affect the enjoyment of the story.

The other aspect I felt, was the first 58% of the book seemed to just escapade after escapade, ands there wasn't much of a story. It was more a show case of some of the antics the sureveillance team got up to. Boys will be boys (and yes, many policeman stay in that mode....lol) but actually being occasional thieves? That I thought was not good. Show them as being lads for sure, but a line was crossed with the thefts and it did make me feel uncomfortable.

So, would I recommend this? Yes!! And especially to those either past or current constabulary members. The in jokes that only police would understand would have you howling. I would have given 4 stars if the above comments didn't apply but you know what - I am kinda tight with my allocation of stars on reviews so this is not a bad one by any means.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2012 4:00 AM GMT

Ashes to Ashes Series 3 [DVD] [2010]
Ashes to Ashes Series 3 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Keeley Hawes

4.0 out of 5 stars the final series ends with..., 11 Dec 2010
not sure if it is a bang or not. Can't fault the acting - it was emotional at the end for sure.

I think there will always be a niggling thought LOM was better and I cannot put my finger on why. For anyone who has not seen the TV series and don't want spoilers all I will say is this: the ending makes sense and does tie up lose ends but will still raise questions. Sadly for us it is the last in the series which means no more Gene Hunt. Without a doubt one of the best, if not THE best character creation for many years. Yet another series would have perhaps been one too far. I think one of the reasons this does fall a little flat is we don't see the wry humour from Gene we saw in series 1 of LOM. That is sorely missed, yet I understand why. This is a more reflective series by far and that same level of humour would have been inappropriate. Yet that is what made Gene Hunt special IMO. So why 4 stars?? Well it still surpasses most TV dramas currently aired. And the suspense and twists in the plot episode by episode have you breathless by the time you see episode 8. Worth watching/buying for the intense level of drama and emotion that is elicited. But it just falls short on reminding us why we fell in love with Gene Hunt from LOM.

Complete Sherlock Holmes (Wordsworth Library Collection)
Complete Sherlock Holmes (Wordsworth Library Collection)
by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic read of the best fictional detective, 5 Aug 2010
I have read the Sherlock Holmes stories once before - many, many moons ago when I was a teenager. They really do stand the test of time, and I was pleased to see this collection for sale here at Amazon, at such an incredible price.

The stories are endearing. You cannot help but admire the creation of Holmes, faults and all. Interestingly Conan Doyle did not rate these stories as being amongst his best. I wonder what he would be thinking now, having seen the many adaptations and screenings of the detective and his sidekick.

With regards the book - this is HUGE. It is hard back bound, and has red edging to the pages. Wonderfully presented, and will grace any bookshelf and draw the eye. With regards usability, that is something that may be more difficult to ascertain at this stage. The font is smaller than the font in similar publications from Wordsworth Library, but - if it had been larger it would have resulted in even more pages. That would have pushed the book over into being unuseable. I have already flicked to the final third of the book to see how flexible it is. The pages will not open fully as in a paperback, but it is just readable. I think this may need handling with care, else over time damage could be caused to the binding/spine. However, if you know in advance it has over 1,400 pages you are forewarned it will not have the flexibility of a smaller publication or paperback equivalent.

I was surprised at how well drawn the illustrations were. There are other books from this series in my collection, which have drawn criticism for the illustrations within. To be honest, I didn't agree with them, as it is the story we are buying - the illustrations are a nice extra. In this volume, they are well done.

Definitely recommended, but be careful of use over time. And make sure you buy a decent smooth/flat bookmark for it. I cannot even think about turning a page over on this beauty.

Under £6.50??? The value is amazing.

Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales (Wordsworth Library Collection)
Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales (Wordsworth Library Collection)
by Gebrüder Grimm

5.0 out of 5 stars once upon a time.... fantastic storytelling and fantastic presentation, 5 Aug 2010
I think a lot has already been said in previous reviews. You are NEVER too old to appreciate a fairytale. I wish I had read these years ago instead of now, at a current age of 45 years. They are quite short and succinct, with a variety of themes. These would make a great bedtime companion for anyone who enjoys reading bedtime stories to young children, although you may want to just preread the selected story to make sure it isn't too... gory I guess.

With regards the value and presentation, I cannot believe I paid less than £6.50 for this huge book. With over 800 pages, hard back bound, red edging to the pages etc it really is something that would grace any bookshelf.

The font size is just right, and the small b/w illustrations through add a nice touch. I appreciate they are not of the same standard as the colour version on the cover, but to be honest - I don't think the book should be marked down because of it. After all, it is the story I am after not the illustration.

Fantastic value. There are so many other books in the Wordsworth library collection to capture the eye, and I am proud to have 4 of them now.

Highly recommended. You will want to purchase a smooth/flat bookmark for this, as the thought of turning the corners over of the pages just does not bear thinking about.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2014 8:23 PM GMT

Complete Andersen's Fairy Tales (Wordsworth Library Collection)
Complete Andersen's Fairy Tales (Wordsworth Library Collection)
by H. C. Andersen

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic collection with classic presentation, 5 Aug 2010
I think a lot has already been said in previous reviews. You are NEVER too old to appreciate a fairytale. I wish I had read these years ago instead of now, at a current age of 45 years. They vary in length and theme, and would make a great bedtime companion for anyone who enjoys reading bedtime stories to young children.

With regards the value and presentation, I cannot believe I paid less than £6.50 for this huge book. With over 1,100 pages, hard back bound, blue edging to the pages etc it really is something that would grace any bookshelf.

For Your Entertainment
For Your Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars as good a debut as you will find, 1 Jan 2010
This review is from: For Your Entertainment (Audio CD)
I was one of those who followed Adam's progress on American Idol, and was eagerly anticipating his first album release. I have listened to the album a few times now, and feel it is a solid debut, especially when you consider how short a time period has passed since he finished 2nd in the competition.
I will not describe each track individually as it is possible for you to make your own mind up through listening to the 30 second previews available here at Amazon.
The album is quite varied and in that respect it does show he has the ability to tackle any style and come through admirably.
It was a good choice to have 'You Make Me Want To Listen To Music Again' as the opening track. Straight away you will find your feet tapping and your body wanting to have a bit of a boogie. 'For Your Entertainment' is a little popier, but I was pleased to see he showed his high voice range, but restrained it to where it was appropriate.

I think this album will be one that is played on my car CD player for some time to come. It is Summer here where I live, so window down, and volume up as I pass through countryside really does fit well with the fun I am having with this album.
If I had to say if there was any weakness it would be the second last track. If it wasn't surrounded by a lot of very strong tracks it may have stood its ground, but sadly it is the one track that really is skippable.

Well done to Adam. Here is hoping he is on the music scene for a while to come. Mika may have a bit of a rival in the vocal stakes. :)
Here is hoping his next album will be as strong, with perhaps a little more slant towards the hard rock we know he is more than capable of. Otherwise he has done well with this to show his versatility.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2010 8:22 PM GMT

Formula 1 2009 (PSP)
Formula 1 2009 (PSP)

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid but not without issues, 1 Jan 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Formula 1 2009 (PSP) (Video Game)
I have to agree with previous reviewers. The commentary being none existant makes the game somewhat clinical and ... sometimes boring. I do own the 2006 edition and the voice over of Brundle, Allen and engineer during the race made it more realistic. (Albeit the comments were somewhat repeated, it was still an addition missing from this version).

I was also hoping for improved graphics but I have to say if anything, there is a slight step backwards in that department. Those of us who have seen what is possible through the Wipeout series may be forgiven for thinking we were in fact in the early days of console gaming.

The actual racing itself is as I expected. You can make life as hard or as easy for yourself as you wish. If you are new the game, it is possible to have a lot of driver controls turned on, so as to leave you with just 3 tasks: 1) choice of difficulty 2) car set up/tuning during practise sessions 3) compete in a race.
For those who are less faint hearted it is possible to turn everything off, and to rely on manual gear changes. I am not at that level (big admission there...lol) but it is the ultimate challenge.

The one addition I am enjoying is the challenge mode. You would think there isn't a lot you can do on a track other than race, but there are quite a few challenges to go through, with a super challenge to unlock the next set of 6, and so on. These have included: Passing as many check points as possible 2) winning a race 3) overtaking as many as possible 4) coming through the pack following a safety car 5) trying to stay out for 3 laps on dry tyres in torrential rain where you finish in the points.

For those who are used to the previous game you still have options of a quick race, full race weekend, world championship season or career mode.

Would I recommend this game? Actually I would, but would understand it may only appeal to die hard F1 fans. Next season I will be watching the races with a lot more respect for the drivers, particularly on the circuits which really are showcases of their superior skills (Monaco, Singapore). If you are happy for the fact it is no great shakes with regards graphics, and that they have fallen short on making it a proper F1 experience by omitting the commentary you can still enjoy the game.

Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier (PSP)
Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier (PSP)
Offered by Game Trade Online

2.0 out of 5 stars poor controls lead to more frustration than fun, 1 Jan 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I had high hopes for this PSP game, having throughly enjoyed Daxter. Sadly they are not comparable on a couple of levels:
1) There is no ability to strafe and believe me, that is more than mildly irritating. You will be met with quite tough opposition early in the game as well as boss matches. Instead of being able to face them and fire whilst aiming, you are left with only being able to run away before turning to fire off a quick shot before being overcome. More often than not you will fail, yet the game play could have been so different if the basic control of strafing had been included. I gave up before the half way mark with this game, and would trade it tomorrow without battering an eyelid for Daxter instead.
2) There is not so much humour in this game as I would have hoped for. Yes, there are some good one liners from the voice over for Daxter but they are few and far between. Bearing in mind the frustrating gameplay, the humour and storyline may have kept me going for a little longer.

There are some good points. The search for eggs is almost a sidegame in its own right and again will be challenging enough to make you realise they will not be found easily. Also, the addition of the flying challenges does break up the monotony a little, and they are actually quite well executed.

Would I recommend this game?? I am sad to say no. Games should be fun and challenging, not frustrating and painful to execute.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2011 7:29 PM GMT