Profile for P. J. Tizzard > Reviews

Content by P. J. Tizzard

P. J. Tizzard (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Billion BiPAC 8800NL VDSL2/ADSL2+ with Gigabit and USB Port Wireless N Modem Router

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid modem/router, 29 April 2015
Performed as expected. Easy to set up. Much more stable than my old modem. A lot of ability to make adjustments, esp SNR which enables one to achieve a higher speed. Vertical form factor means a smaller footprint.

From Zero to Infinity: What Makes Numbers Interesting
From Zero to Infinity: What Makes Numbers Interesting
by Constance Reid

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 28 July 2013
I was a bit put off initially by the so-called proof that all numbers are interesting which appears after the contents page. (It isn't called a proof here, but it is later on page xv). Had proof been written in quotes it would have been OK, since to my mind it certainly isn't a proof and this led me to wonder how rigorous the rest of the book would be.
Every now and then there are sentences or phrases which are a bit cumbersome which one has to read several times to understand what is being said. but perhaps this is because it is by an american author.
Also surprising, considering this is the fifth edition, to find the odd error e.g. on p 112, which is presumably a typo?
However, despite all that, an interesting book and one which might encourage one to go deeper into some of the topics covered.

Corsair CMFPLA8GB 8GB 256-Bit Encryption USB Flash Drive
Corsair CMFPLA8GB 8GB 256-Bit Encryption USB Flash Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solution for portable data security, 28 July 2013
Easy to use, though I could find no instruction how to use the number keys, which each have two digits on; one press gives the first digit, two presses the second, but I had to guess this was how it worked. You also have to guess how long to wait between presses for a repeated digit. Once you have figured this out it is very easy to use and I like the fact that the data is secure the moment you remove the drive from the PC.

MediaDevil Magicwand Stylus (Regular Edition, Light Blue) for Tablets & Smartphones (e.g. Apple iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Google Nexus)
Offered by MediaDevil

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than my finger!, 29 May 2013
Good quality and works well with my Samsung Galaxy S3 mini. More accurate than using one's finger, making "typing" much quicker and less frustrating.

From 0 to Infinity in 26 Centuries: The extraordinary story of maths
From 0 to Infinity in 26 Centuries: The extraordinary story of maths
by Chris Waring

3.0 out of 5 stars A fairly superficial history of maths, but quite a good read, 29 May 2013
Largely a series of mini biographies, giving potted accounts of the contributions made by key figures in Maths over the centuries.
I found the use of graph paper background to many of the examples a bit distracting. Otherwise well illustrated with easy examples.

Precious and the Mischief at Meerkat Brae: A Young Precious Ramotswe Case
Precious and the Mischief at Meerkat Brae: A Young Precious Ramotswe Case
by Alexander McCall Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Only for Scots, 29 May 2013
I missed that this book was "translated into Scots", so actually completely useless for my young (english) grand-daughter. I returned it.
It is actually stated on the cover but not at all obvious. If it had been made more apparent then it would have saved me and Amazon a lot of trouble.

Gem Compact Easy Access Camera Case for Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ60, DMC-FZ62, DMC-FZ200, DMC-LZ20
Offered by GEM Bags & Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value case, 22 Mar. 2013
Based on the dimensions I was a bit concerned that the case might be a tight fit for my FZ200, but in fact it is a perfect fit. The case is robust and well constructed with numerous pockets for storing things and provision for three means of carrying it--shoulder strap, belt loop and handle. For the price it is excellent value.

Petzl Tikka2 XP -
Petzl Tikka2 XP -

4.0 out of 5 stars Tikka XP 2, 12 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Petzl Tikka² XP (Sports)
I had used a similar Tikka for several years, but I lost it and this was a replacement.
The beam is amazingly bright and the options for a two brightness levels with focused or diffused beam make it very flexible. The former version had excellent battery life and I don't expect this to be any different.

Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black
Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse, 13 Oct. 2011
I needed a replacement for a prior version (M605?) which was beginning to malfunction after long service. This has the same shape as the old one which I find very comfortable and it has similar functions to the old one, plus a new one which is the side click which brings up all the applications currently running in mini windows--not sure how useful this is though.
I have experienced one minor problem with the M705 which I did not see with the prior version. When I put my PC on standby it will sometimes automatically switch on again, which I believe is due to it receiving a signal from the mouse (even though the mouse is not being used or touched in any way). I do not have absolute proof, but the problem started when I installed the new mouse and never occurs if I turn the mouse off while the PC is in standby.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2011 11:39 AM GMT

Garmin eTrex Vista HCx Handheld GPS
Garmin eTrex Vista HCx Handheld GPS
Offered by AOT (VAT registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, 1 Nov. 2009
Having had an eTrex Summit for some time I decided it was time to upgrade. I was attracted by the claimed greater sensitivity of the HCx and having used it on a daily basis in Brazil for the last three weeks I have been extremely impressed. Once locked on to satellites, (which it does very quickly), it tracks perfectly in dense forest, or inside a vehicle, or even inside a vehicle in a forest!
I have not specifically checked the claimed battery life, but with fresh batteries I could leave it on all day-say 12 to 15 hours-and still have plenty of life left the following day.
On the negative side I felt the instructions could have been more detailed and had I not been familiar with the basic concept of operation from the previous model I might have struggled a bit. However when one does get to grips with it, the range of data available is extensive and the HCx offers a great deal of flexibility to tailor the information presented to meet ones own requirements. I found the mini-joystick control very easy and convenient to use and the colour display is bright and clear. Overall a pleasure to own and use.

Page: 1 | 2