Profile for Dr. M. Carswell > Reviews

Content by Dr. M. Carswell

Dr. M. Carswell (cardiff)

Page: 1 | 2
The Help
The Help
by Kathryn Stockett

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
What a lovely book - the 3 main charachters were so likeable, especially in contrast to some of the others. I, like others, was sad when the book had to end and felt like I will miss my new 3 friends. As an added bonus, I thought the adendum in which Kathryn Stockett wrote about her real life was very touching.

The Marriage Plot
The Marriage Plot

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 11 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Marriage Plot (Kindle Edition)
I read Middlesex a few years ago and really enjoyed it so thought I'd give this a go.

What an amazing book! My review won't do it justice I'm afraid - you'll just have to read it. It tells the 'marriage plot' love story of Madeline who is persued (and persues to varying degrees) manic depresive Leonard, and Mitchell the American-Greek who is struggling with his inner tumoil of love for Madeline and his strive to find a religous belief that makes sense. The book starts on graduation day - and this is where the love-trouble and the what-to-do-with-my-life trouble starts. I could relate perfectly! I liked how each part of the story is told from the perspective of each of the characters. I developed a love for each of them and still am not sure who I was hoping would get the girl in the end. A great, honest and well researched insight into manic depression. Also, interesting religious perspectives were given, especially during Mitchell's trip to find himself. Great laugh out loud moments, and wonderful writing style.

I've read some great books since getting my Kindle this year - this has been my favourite. If I could give it 6 stars, I would.

The Line of Beauty
The Line of Beauty
by Alan Hollinghurst

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as A Stranger's Child, 7 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Line of Beauty (Paperback)
I loved A Stranger's Child - and was inspired to read In The Line Of Beauty because of it. It was an enjoyable read, but for me, the prose lacked some of the magic and effortless readability that his most recent piece of work had. I did not find I particularly 'liked' any of the characters - especially the main one of Nick Guest. I suppose I was not meant to like him that much - a selfish, pretentious, condescending wannabe (him, not me!). Halfway through the book I Googled it, and came across the BBC link to the TV remake of it in 2008 (I didn't see it at the time, but remember the trailers). From then on, I couldn't shake the image of Lord Percy from Blackadder as Gerald Seddon - was quite amusing. And I couldn't help imagining a young Helena Bonham-Carter would have been great cast as Catherine. The last few chapters of his fall from favour were good, it's a shame he didn't have a meeting with Catherine following the meltdown. I found all the 'darlings' a bit annoying, and the subtlety of the 'ogee' line of beauty was, I fear, over my head (as were the numerour literary and classical music references - I would not have fitted in at the Seddons!). In a way, I think 'A stranger's child' might have actually been a more appropriate title for this book.

The Last Hundred Days
The Last Hundred Days

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 25 Sept. 2011
I did enjoy this book - for me it was quite an education into a period and a country I feel I should have known more about. I would have been 10 years old at the time the story took place at - and what a world away it was! I have a Romanian friend just a little older than me and I plan to quiz him a little deeper about his time growing up there.

A good story with good prose and some great expressions. Compared with other books I have read I felt it was difficult to form a clear image of the characters in my mind, and felt it a little difficult to connect with them. Story kept me interested, but didn't set me on fire.

Bleakly Hall
Bleakly Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book!, 31 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Bleakly Hall (Kindle Edition)
It seems I am loving all my books recently. I think since buying the kindle I am reading more, but also choosing my books more carefully by reading lots of reviews on Amazon and having free samples sent. It's great!

I enjoyed this book, from the other-worldliness description of nurse Montgomery's first arrival at Bleakley Hall, the hydropathic hotel, immediately after WW1, to the intrigue surrounding her interest in the mysterious Captain Foxley. The flashbacks to her relationship with the tragic Sophia who she worked with in the hospital in London for wounded soldiers and how this tortures the present day Monty. Monty and Ada's time at the front-line were vividly described in gory bleak detail that brings the trenches to life, when they worked as a team retrieving the wounded where others would not dare. Such bravery amongst these women that is often lost when comparing with that of front-line soldiers, that of the women being more-so in many ways. Lots of interesting characters, and although it sounds quite heavy it's actually quite funny in parts. I think I might grow a rakish moustache like Captain Foxley's, what?!

Incognito: The Secret Lives of The Brain (Canons)
Incognito: The Secret Lives of The Brain (Canons)

5.0 out of 5 stars Induces great pause-for-thought reflection, 14 Aug. 2011
I was a little hesitant about buying this as, being a doctor, I was not looking forward to going over the same old ground about the history of psychotherapy and neuroanatomy/physiology. However, I needn't have been worried as this book is a fresh and accessible story of the way the mind works with fascinating examples of real life observations and studies to demonstrate the theories. What set the this apart for me when compared with previous books I have read on the subject, is the author's ability to make the reader reflect on his own consciousness in a new an stimulating way.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2012 3:24 PM BST

The Stranger's Child
The Stranger's Child

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, 14 Aug. 2011
This was one the most enjoyable books I have read. I downloaded the sample to my Kindle and immediately loved the smooth writing style and the way it was effortless to read. For me the characters were really vivid and had well developed personalities - and it was interesting to cast my mind back to previous sections in the book when each character was younger. Makes me realise we are all going to end up as deaf and forgetful 80 year olds (hopefully!) no matter how hot and randy we were in our youth! I can picture many of the scenes clearly in my minds eye, the chapel in Corely Court and the Keeping's back garden on that summer's day being remarkably vivid for some reason. I enjoyed the way the beginning of each section started with a new story with no explanation and forced me to work out the links to the previous generation. I found it difficult to put this book down, and I think I fell in love with a few of the characters myself! This is the first of his books I have read and I will be definitely checking out the others.

The Sisters Brothers
The Sisters Brothers

5.0 out of 5 stars Gun-slinging but surprisingly touching and funny old west adventure, 3 Aug. 2011
I really enjoyed this book. Told from the perspective of Eli Sisters, who is endearing due to his surprisingly tortured and sensitive soul - surprising as he and his brother are hired-gun hit-men in 19th century gold rush California. The story describes Eli and Charlie Sisters adventures on their way to kill Mr Warm - but all is not straightforward or without drama. Laugh out loud funny at times with great characterisation. I was sad the book had to end. I agree with others in that it would make a good film.

Into the Darkest Corner
Into the Darkest Corner

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Aug. 2011
I am not really a crime/thriller fan, but this book blew me away. Can't believe this is a début novel. Obviously I am very butch (!), but I was surprised how affected I was by the psychological menace. And I have a friend whose boyfriend works as a police officer in surveillance...I now look at him in a new light (and have started checking my cutlery drawer obsessively).

Excellent book.

Braun ThermoScan 5 IRT4520 Ear Thermometer
Braun ThermoScan 5 IRT4520 Ear Thermometer

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable accurate, 14 July 2011
I'm a GP and bought this in 2009 and only needed to change the (AA) batteries once (and as you can imagine I use it several times each day. Would recommend to professionals and patients alike.

Page: 1 | 2