Profile for EmLou > Reviews

EmLou "tykegirl" (Yorkshire)

Stuck in the Middle (Sister-to-Sister, Book 1): A Novel
Stuck in the Middle (Sister-to-Sister, Book 1): A Novel

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor description, 1 Feb 2013
Most books have to declare when there is a heavy sexual nature or anything else that could offend, likewise I feel that books with a strong religious flavour should have a "warning" on them also. I am not religious but am equally not affected by those who choose to worship, however this book is heavy on religion and I personally found the beliefs or rather the portrayal of them offensive.

One of the characters is anti church and he was portrayed as having turned his wife away from the right path and had caused friction in the family.

The whole story for me was trite and preaching. If I had paid for this I would have been disappointed.

Sense & Sensibility : Complete BBC Series [2008] [DVD]
Sense & Sensibility : Complete BBC Series [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charity Wakefield

3.0 out of 5 stars Top Class..., 27 Feb 2008
entertainment. While not faithful to the book this adaptation does have some very good plus points to recommend it.

Firstly like another reviewer has pointed out Hattie Morahan and Charity Wakefield are the right age to play Elinor and Marianne. While I love the Ang Lee film - and the actors in it - I always felt awkward with the casting of Emma Thompson et al ( I am not criticising them as actors they are brilliant generally and in particular this film but too old for the characters). I was able to enjoy this adaptation more because it they were the right age and therefore the emotions they had to portray seemed more realistic.

Likewise David Morrissey as Brandon was very good, slightly reserved, a bit haughty but ultimately much more faithful to Austens original (in my opinion, again I love Alan Rickman but lets face it he is very dry and sarcastic and I stuggled to warm to him in the film). Mr Morrissey had me cheering for him from his first appearance.

The Devonshire countryside was stunning as were most of the locations.

In fact the one thing I particularly missed from the film was Hugh Laurie. I did think that the actors playing Willoughby and Edward did not stand out as much as they should have done and were overshadowed by lesser characters.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and while not faithful (what is these days)I feel it well worth a viewing and I for one will be adding to my collection as soon as possible.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2010 6:03 AM GMT

Child of the Prophecy: Book 3 of the Sevenwaters Trilogy
Child of the Prophecy: Book 3 of the Sevenwaters Trilogy
by Juliet Marillier

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Trilogy, 29 Jun 2007
Have been meaning to reveiw this book for a while as it caused me some very sleepless nights. I bought the first two books and read within a few days then I tried to buy this one, it was out of print, after many phone calls and desperate hair pulling i bought a copy from the USA (hurray).

If you have read the first two books you will want to know how the struggle for the islands ends also. Of the three this is my least favourite, I think it was because the character of Fainne was flawed because of the different elements pulling her in opposite directions and it made her less likable than either Sorcha or Liadan. However this is still an excellent book and I was sad when I had finished it because I still wanted to know how the lives of Johnny and Fainne turned out and how their descendants turned out too.

Juliet Marillier is a fabulous author and if you like this style of writing then what are you waiting for, go buy all her books!!

The Well of Shades (Bridei Chronicles 3)
The Well of Shades (Bridei Chronicles 3)
by Juliet Marillier

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous as always, 29 Jun 2007
Juliet Marillier is quite simply my favourite author. Her writing is so descriptive that you really can imagine yourself being there seeing things through the eyes of the characters.

I wont go into the storyline but this book made me cry and was totally unputdownable (like all of her others).

I agree with the previous reveiwer if you have not read JM's books then read them all from the start. All eight of her "grown up" books are in my favourites and get re-read regularly.

Destinations
Destinations
by Sheila O'Flanagan

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Suprised, 22 Sep 2003
This review is from: Destinations (Paperback)
I have several other of this authors books and have always been a little underwhelmed, however in the short story category she proved me wrong.
Each story catches the imagination and tells the tale in a simple yet effective manner. Look out for the connected stories. Different perspectives which change your opinion with the story which you are reading.
I don't believe in going into great detail about items I am reviewing it spoils it for you. I enjoyed this book and you might too.
If you want something to read but don't want to commit to a full novel then this book provides a number of enjoyable simple tales.

The Long Road
The Long Road
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Back....and then some!!, 22 Sep 2003
This review is from: The Long Road (Audio CD)
Have to say I completely agree with the other reviewers comments. If you want to buy an emotive sing along in the car (or anywhere else for that matter) album then go buy this one NOW!
Much more rocking then their previous two offerings but this only adds to the effect. Stand out tracks for me have to be Someday (by far the most mainstream track on the album) and Do this anymore.
Don't just take my word for it. Oh, and the louder the better definitely applies to this album.

Lots of Love
Lots of Love
by Fiona Walker

4.0 out of 5 stars about time too!!!!!, 12 May 2003
This review is from: Lots of Love (Paperback)
I can't tell you how long I have been waiting for this book. I had a problem, you see, with Lucy Talk in that I could not really identify with the characters or the storyline but I think that has more to do with the books structure than anything else.
Anyway back to LOTS OF LOVE. Fiona Walker is one of the best at what she does, she makes you laugh and cry (on occasion). Lots of love is based around Ellen and Spurs and what I would describe as a Romeo and Juliet style story for the 21st century. It has it all, a sleepy village where everyone knows your business before you do, machiavellian machinations are rife to keep the lovestruck pair apart and in true Walker style there are plenty of animals as well.
This is classic Fiona Walker it is both funny and sad and there are plenty of her unique one liners as well.
All in all I suggest that if you liked French relations, Kiss chase and well groomed that you will like this one as well.