Profile for BookWorm > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Wrestling With Madness: John E. Du Pont and the Foxcatcher Farm Murder
Wrestling With Madness: John E. Du Pont and the Foxcatcher Farm Murder

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but too short, 12 Nov 2014
This would be a fascinating read in a longer book, this is more like an in depth magazine article. Still good though!

Bruce Treadmill Test
Bruce Treadmill Test

1.0 out of 5 stars Zero stars, does not work, crashes, useless, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Bruce Treadmill Test (App)
No stars, this is a terrible app that does not load and is useless, it will just be a waste of space on your device if you download it

Sudoku
Sudoku

4.0 out of 5 stars works fine on kindle fire, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sudoku (App)
Really easy to use, good range of difficulties, bit of fun to keep my mind occupied. Plenty of puzzles to get through, would recommend.

Deadbeat - Makes You Stronger
Deadbeat - Makes You Stronger
by Guy Adams
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Deadbeat is a live one!, 4 Oct 2013
So, this is going to be hard for me to review without giving away some major plot points, but I'll do my best. Told from the alternating perspectives of Max and Tom (and later from the perspective of other characters), `Makes You Stronger' is the first book in the Deadbeat series which sees the two unlikely friends teaming up to investigate some unusual happenings in a cemetery. Much like Ben Aaronovitch in his Rivers of London series, Adams clearly has a strong knowledge of London and it certainly comes out in his writing. The story itself is very, very well-paced. Starting a book with somebody hanging from a roof is a pretty exciting place to start a book, but Adams cleverly takes the chance to build up suspense in a scene and then cut to a different character perspective or an explanation/backstory. About a third of the way in, Adams throws a proverbial curve ball and the trajectory of the story changes dramatically; anymore details than that will spoil it, but I'd definitely recommend this book. One criticism is that the voices of the two main characters are too similar, and it is difficult to tell them apart most of the time until they refer to the other one.

In the Tall Grass
In the Tall Grass

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but brilliant!, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: In the Tall Grass (Kindle Edition)
A fantastic joint effort from the father and son writing team - if King is the master of horror, then Hill is a worth apprentice. This story is incredibly creepy and gets right to the action; I've always been a fan of King's short stories and this one is no exception. And I loved the little teasers for the next two works to come from each of them, Doctor Sleep and NOS4A2. Can't wait for them both!

iClever® Replacement Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter for 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro part number: A1172 A1222 MA375B/A

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, if a little short, 26 Sep 2012
This charger arrived very quickly, and was well packaged. As for the charger itself, the plug is a little heavy and the lead is a bit short for my liking HOWEVER I just attached it to the extended part of my old lead, which hadn't broken. The little bit of the charger that attached to the laptop (sorry I don't know the technical term for it) is better than what came on the original charger - I found with my old one I needed to keep taking the charger out depending on if I had the lead in front or behind the laptop, if that makes sense. This one makes it much easier as you don't need to do that.

Cheaper than the other ones on Amazon, and great value for money. Would recommend both buyer and product.

Nioxin System 1 - Starter Kit
Nioxin System 1 - Starter Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't grow new hair, thickens only, but brilliantly..., 23 Nov 2011
Firstly, if you are suffering from a medical condition or if there is some hereditary or medical reason for your hairloss, Nioxin does not claim to and will not make you grow new hair magically. This product works by giving your scalp a proper stimulating cleanse, giving your follicles the optimum conditions in which to remain healthy, and this encourages hair growth.

So here's why I bought Nioxin, and my experience of it.

I have PCOS, and this has resulted in my once thick masses of hair dwindling down and thinning. I noticed more hair coming off on the hairbrush and in the shower, and it's hard to explain without sounding vain, but I felt like crying the more often this happened, because my hair... well, it's my hair! I noticed in particular where I parted my hair on the side that the parting seemed a little wider and the hair around it a bit fuzzier - hard to explain again, it wasn't like a massive bald patch, but just noticeably thinner. I began to get really self-conscious, and after a little researching Nioxin appeared to be the best option.

The sensation on your hair once you use the shampoo is instant - very tingly and refreshing, if you have extremely sensitive skin I would recommend a patch test, but for me it did not sting at all, just tingled and felt quite nice. The same goes for the conditioner - the best way to describe it is when you use a really minty toothpaste and an electric toothbrush, how ridiculously clean and fresh your mouth feels? That's how your head feels! Then there's the scalp treatment spray, which you apply to your scalp - on the bottle it doesn't say if your hair needs to be wet or dry when you do it, I would say do it when your hair is damp because you need to brush it through.

I would definitely recommend this product for it's thickening effect, as I was not expecting new hair growth. After only about 5 uses of the product, I have noticed my hair looks and feels healthier. Like I said, it isn't some magic solution, it just puts your hair and scalp in the best condition it can to grow healthily. I had one part in particular that was stressing me out - right in the middle at the front, as if I was going to do a centre-parting, there was a lot of thinning, so if I wanted to do a centre-part it would be blatantly obvious that I was thinning. After this short time of using Nioxin that little patch looks much thicker and healthier. I am extremely satisfied with the results in such a short time, and I am confident that continued use will maintain and even improve on these results.

I should also add about the price and the various kits and collections you can get - I know you can get the bits and pieces separately, but for the cost to get the 3 elements - cleanser, conditioner, and scalp therapy - together for just under £40, I would simply opt for this, because I don't know which of these products is the most effective, and to be quite honest at this price I don't want to start messing around and experimenting. I am happy with the results and will continue to use it. I know that this shampoo is not the cure for any kind of condition that would cause hairloss, but in the meantime to restore your confidence, I would certainly recommend this. Good luck!

PCOS Diet Book: How you can use the nutritional approach to deal with polycystic ovary syndrome
by Colette Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Some great suggestions and advice, but onus is on YOU!, 28 Aug 2011
This book has some interesting information, such as causes behind various symptoms of PCOS, and the suggestions to remedy them have so far been fairly easy to take on, particularly when the vitamins and supplements that it recommends have been on offer in Holland & Barrett a few times recently :)
I did not follow the meal plan, as I find that when I set myself a menu I immediately want to digress from it, and furthermore I want to be able to change my eating habits so that the free choices I make are healthy. The dietary changes outlined in the book are very useful, and not too difficult. As with the handful of sensible diet and nutrition books out there (e.g. Jillian Michaels has some good advice in her books but mostly aimed at weight-loss) it focuses on increasing your intake of certain vegetables and eating a generally balanced diet. I tweaked my diet and habits to fit the book and in 2 weeks I did lose some weight. But the real challenge of the whole thing is sticking to it. After these 2 weeks however, we had guests over for a barbecue and with an abundance of left-overs I started to slip back into the old habits I had started to overcome, and lo the weight crept back on. Since then I have successfully re-started the plan more or less and am feeling confident about maintaining it, but the message is this: The information in the book is only useful if you can stick to it. There is no magic trick to it, if you don't follow the advice you won't see any results, and it's not the same as other diet books. For me, the idea that my weight might be affecting my fertility and possibly might lead to diabetes also was a terrifying idea, and with that in mind I think it might be easier to stick to it. The case-studies were a brilliant touch. They are not over-the-top "omg it works like magic" blatant endorsements, they were honest portrayals of the various effects that PCOS can have on different aspects of your life.

In addition to this, I think it is important to note that this book does not simply focus on losing weight, and repeatedly acknowledges that many women of a healthy/normal weight can develop PCOS for certain other reasons. I think this sets the book aside from other diet books, because it is more of a nutritional guide for optimum women's health.

Film Music
Film Music
by Kevin Donnelly

5.0 out of 5 stars A collection of well-researched and insightful essays, 2 May 2011
This review is from: Film Music (Paperback)
This was a really helpful book, I used many of the essays to help me in my research for one of my final year projects and my dissertation. The essays range in topic, my particular favourite was Ken Garner's essay about Quentin Tarantino's deployment of music in his films. A very well-researched and insightful book.

No Sympathy for the Devil: Christian Pop Music and the Transformation of American Evangelicalism
by David W. Stowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, informative, up-to-date, brilliant., 2 May 2011
I came across this book in a search for literature to use in my dissertation on representations of the Devil in various styles of music, with one chapter covering the genre of Christian rock and how it poses something of an oxymoron to some Christians. This book is written with a great knowledge on the style, and gives a wealth of information about the roots and development of Christian rock. I've found it to be invaluable in my research, and am really glad I stumbled across it! Stowe writes in a very accessible style and at times with a dry wit that makes this book all the more enjoyable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3