Profile for Hogster > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Churchill Factor: How One Man Made History
The Churchill Factor: How One Man Made History

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this hugely, 9 Nov. 2014
I enjoyed this hugely. It is a bit of a helicopter view but I thought it was pretty shrewd and I learned a lot. I think if you already know a lot about Churchill you will still enjoy this but it doesn't pretend to be a massive work of original scholarship.

Basic Japanese through Comics: Part 2
Basic Japanese through Comics: Part 2
by Mangajin

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Jun. 2014
The MangaJin approach is terrific. I love the way they dissect the grammar and the vocabulary. I don't know of any other book that uses their multiple translation approach and for me it worked brilliantly.

Hokkaido Highway Blues
Hokkaido Highway Blues
by Will Ferguson

3.0 out of 5 stars Both good and bad, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Hokkaido Highway Blues (Paperback)
I don't have much to add to what others have said. The author's relentless criticism of the japanese as insecure and arrogant seems deeply ironic as that is the impression I has of him. And it takes some talent to be so negative in the face of the wall of kindness he received from the people who gave him lifts. He can be funny and he has some interesting things to say but it was quite frustrating. His desire to be accepted by the japanese and his constant belittling of them - well, as I say, insecure and arrogant. And as a Brit I found the occasional references to my country to be snide and ill informed. Normally that would be fine - just traveller humour - but given his dismissal of the japanese as racists it did rather stick in the throat. Still, his words did seem to come from the heart. I am not sure he realised how much of his character and state of mind he was revealing when he wrote the book though. Anyway 3 stars seemed about right. He is a good writer and has some interesting things to say but he should lighten up a bit.

The Trouble with Europe: Why the EU isn't working, How it can be reformed, What could take its place

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear headed dissection of Europe, 21 May 2014
It is nice to read a proper examination of the problems of the EU that is clear headed and sensible. Too often the sceptics seem to be emotional. This is an excellent analysis looking at all sides of the issue and recognising that there are no perfect answers and that many of our problems arise from how the individual states have evolved as much as how the EU has evolved.

Poseidon's Spear (The Long War Book 3)
Poseidon's Spear (The Long War Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best, 24 April 2014
Cameron is so prolific you wonder how he can keep the quality so high. But this really is one of is best.

The Rook (The Checquy Files Book 1)
The Rook (The Checquy Files Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars madly disjointed, 9 April 2014
This is an ingenious and moderately enjoyable book but even if you accept the underlying idea the whole thing makes no sense. Death and despair every where, oh I think I will go clubbing. And the story doesn't even begin to make sense. A huge crisis threatening the Court? Unfortunately it's the weekend so not many people about. And e senior members of the Court just seem to fade away while our heroine has lunch, bonds with a new best friend and worries about the decor in her apartment. It's inventive but really it's a complete mess.

The Great King (The Long War Book 4)
The Great King (The Long War Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but marking time, 7 Jan. 2014
I enjoyed this book but it feels like he is marking time somewhat. Also I was bemused by the product description - the ill fated Spartan expedition to Egypt? We visit Carthage, Greece and Persia but I don't recall Egypt being part of the story.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2014 1:30 PM GMT

Remembering the Kanji 2: A Systematic Guide to Reading the Japanese Characters
Remembering the Kanji 2: A Systematic Guide to Reading the Japanese Characters
by James W. Heisig

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure really, 29 Nov. 2013
I used his RTK1 book and loved it but this (as everyone says) is a different thing altogether. I think it may be very good but for now I am leaving it on my bookshelf and learning actual words.

uni-ball Jetstream Retractable SXN210 Rollerball Black 3 piece blisterpack
uni-ball Jetstream Retractable SXN210 Rollerball Black 3 piece blisterpack

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant pen, 29 Nov. 2013
I read somewhere a review saying this was the best pen in the world. Not sure about that but its the best pen I ever owned and they are dead cheap.

Clash Of Empires (The Eskkar Saga Book 5)
Clash Of Empires (The Eskkar Saga Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliably entertaining, 29 Nov. 2013
Eskkar series is much, much better and more interesting than most other historical/adventure novels going around. Barone can actually write and you are pulled along at top speed.I ejoy books by people by Simon Scarrow etc but this is in a different class. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3