Profile for N. Drake > Reviews

Content by N. Drake

N. Drake (Glasgow, Scotland)

The Paramour Sessions
The Paramour Sessions

5.0 out of 5 stars Coming of Age, 28 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Paramour Sessions (Audio CD)
Papa Roach were one of the very first bands I got into when I began listening seriously to music, as Infest had just been released that year. However I moved on after a while, and haven't given them much of a look since Lovehatetragedy, which I found slightly disappointing overall (She Loves Me Not notwithstanding).

And then I found this. It's still recognizably P Roach, but they've developed a huge amount in the intervening years (granted I've not listened properly to Getting Away With Murder, but I gather that was a big improvement too). The songwriting is much better than their older stuff, and as another reviewer said, there honestly isn't a bad song on here, which you can't say about most albums full stop, let alone other Roach albums. Jacoby in particular has really expanded his vocal range and this massively improves the music in my opinion, as I was never a particular fan of his rapping. But all of the band have clearly had a chance to grow since their debut and it really shows.

For anyone who wrote them off after their first major-label album or two, seriously, give them another chance. It's been years since I lost interest in them the first time, but this is real music, competently written and performed, and it would be a shame to ignore it. It deserves to be heard. If they continue in this vein with future releases they're well on their way to once again becoming a staple favourite of mine.