Profile for Graham > Reviews

Content by Graham

Graham "Tramontana" (Ventimiglia, Italy)

Lenovo G510 15.6-inch Laptop - Black (Intel Core i7-4700QM 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Intel Integrated Graphics, DVDRW, Windows 8.1 Home Premium)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent dual-boot choice., 28 Aug. 2014
The machine was briefly available for £499.95, making it a superb buy. You rarely see a 4-core i7 machine for less than 500 pounds. It's fast and virtually silent; the only time I've hear the fan accelerate is when processing video. And I live near the Mediterranean, where temperatures at this time of year are into the high 20's and beyond.

The other reviews will tell you about the G510 as a Windows machine but my preference is Linux. I can recommend this machine without reservations as being totally Linux-compatible as long as you pick the right Linux. I found Kubuntu - already my choice as the best Linux distro around - to be ideal for dual-booting. The installation process was a breeze; see my article at http://1o1a.co/Eclecity/computers/dual-boot-windows-81-and-kubuntu-144/

So I now have both Windows 8.1 or Kubuntu available after a restart; it takes a couple of minutes to switch from one to the other. This was the best value computer I've ever had, as well as by far the most powerful. Thank you Lenovo.

Comma HYP1L 1L Hyperclean Engine Degreaser
Comma HYP1L 1L Hyperclean Engine Degreaser

5.0 out of 5 stars The best degreaser money can buy, 28 Aug. 2014
Simply excellent. Clean, low-odour and effective on all kinds of grease. Always worth having a can handy in the house.

Cambridge Sciences StarPAD 3, 7-inch Android Tablet with 3G Connectivity + Wi-Fi, Quad Core 1.2GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, and 8GB Memory

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and good value for money, 2 Sept. 2011
The service provided by Quality Stores was excellent. When I had problems with the tablet the technical services guy rang me to help. I eventually returned the machine and got another by return.

The G7 is solid and does everything it should. The power input pin is very small and liable to bend if handled roughly, so be careful moving the machine while connected.

My main reason for buying it was as a video Skype terminal, which it does fine if the latest Skype is installed. The only slight annoyance is that people see my picture mirrored, which some find disconcerting. This is presumably a Skype issue. The camera quality and resolution aren't brilliant and colours seem rather flat, but this is a minor issue as Skype picture quality is pretty poor anyway.

I do have some problems with some software, most notably the latest version of Android Market, which for some reason refuses to show the Install button on some apps, making them impossible to download. I tried a Factory Reset but the problem reappeared after a while. I'd be keen to know if anyone else has the same problem. Please visit the forum at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/forum/cd/forum.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_dp_t?ie=UTF8&cdForum=FxUAMV0YINDP3R&asin=B005A82UNW.

I was aked by QS to comment on tethering. I use a Samsung Galaxy Mini as a mobile wifi hotspot and the G7 picks this up with no problems. If the Samsung is plugged directly into the G7 it charges itself, so only one power lead is needed to keep both devices alive. The total cost of both machines is less than a high-end Android phone, and to me makes a good alternative as I can still use the phone while watching video on the tablet.

Battery life is reasonable. On one charge I watched a couple of hours of video then held a video Skype conversation for nearly an hour.