Profile for James W Ellemore > Reviews

Content by James W Ellemore

James W Ellemore

Black Messiah
Black Messiah

2.0 out of 5 stars I've played this three times and just can't get into ..., 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Black Messiah (Audio CD)
I've played this three times and just can't get into it......I think I played Brown Sugar and Voodoo around 100 times in the first month.....maybe it's me.

Kay-Dee Vol.2: Kenny Dope & Keb Darge Present
Kay-Dee Vol.2: Kenny Dope & Keb Darge Present

5.0 out of 5 stars worth it alone for the edit of Family of Eve - I wanna be loved by you, 28 July 2014
Top stuff this....worth it alone for the edit of Family of Eve - I wanna be loved by you, recommended.

Night Dubbing: Special Remixed Versions Of Previously Released Tracks
Night Dubbing: Special Remixed Versions Of Previously Released Tracks

4.0 out of 5 stars Dubbed out classics, 28 July 2012
Recently discovered this, technically this is a superb example of that early 80's post disco garage sound. Really love the remix of Body talk, improves on the original. Some parts are a little dated, and you could tell that the engineer/mixer got a little over excited with the pitch shift effect, however overall this stands up well. Fans of Metroarea, Luke Vibert, and old school 80's boogie should seek this out.

Get Down With The Philly Sound
Get Down With The Philly Sound

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowingly good, 30 Dec. 2010
The remixes are the star on this one. The Trammps - The Night The Lights Went Out remix is my personal favourite and worth the price alone. The Teddy Pendergrass remixes are also a highlight, sound quality is top notch.

Danny Krivit Introduces P And P Records
Danny Krivit Introduces P And P Records
Offered by LuvFilmLuvMusic

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album with some hard to find gems, 30 Dec. 2010
It took a few listens but all in all this is a great collection. If you like stuff by Patrick Adams or Peter Brown you will be in for a treat. Highlights for me include: My Baby's Got E.S.P. by Four Below Zero, It Ain't No Big Thing by Rainbow Brown (AKA Fonda Rae), the Donna McGhee classic Mr Blindman, Guardian Angel Is Watching Over Us by Margo Williams, and the previously (unheard by me)I Did It Again by Jesse Henderson.
Many of the tracks are unavailable on CD anywhere else so I'd buy this before it gets expensive.

This Journey in
This Journey in
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanatastic, 29 July 2005
This review is from: This Journey in (Audio CD)
A great album, my favourite album since Voodoo by D'Angelo. Since hearing the 12" This Journey In some 2 years ago I had been waiting for the album to come out and I wasn't disappointed. What impressed me most is the depth and quality of the musicianship on the album. It's clear to me the major influences of the band are late 70's Jazz
Funk, particularly Herbie Hancock, Larry Mizell, Blue Note and Johnny Hammond.
The vocal harmonies are also excellent, particularly on Mark of his ways and Shake it. Walk Talkin' Mizell is another great track, fantastic keyboards in this track. My favourite has to be the upbeat, sing along Every body say yeah.
Highly recommended to anybody who's a fan of quality soul music.

Underdog
Underdog
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, 2 July 2004
This review is from: Underdog (Audio CD)
As a DJ and Deep House vinyl collector, I rate this CD pretty highly. For me the stand out tracks are InDeep - Judgement Day, In This Life Kaskade and the incredibly deep stand out track - Azeem - Beautiful You. A few tracks on here disappointed me a little so I find myself skipping around.
Not as good as the Naked Music Deep House cds, but probably the best deep house compilation to come out of the UK this year.