Profile for Cornish Deadhead > Reviews

Content by Cornish Deadhead
Top Reviewer Ranking: 429

Cornish Deadhead "Happy Harv" (UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Pacific High Studios San Francisco CA 06/02/72
Pacific High Studios San Francisco CA 06/02/72

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gig For Jerry Fans, 26 Feb. 2015
This radio broadcast from 1972 is in reality the Jerry Garcia - Merl Saunders Band with Bill Kreutzmann sitting in for Bill Vitt.

The recording might not be pristine, but it's such a great gig with Jerry on top form, fluid and inventive. There's a great jam on CD1 of Save Mother Earth which runs into Imagine - magic. If you have all the other releases from the Fantasy label, (neatly packaged on Keystone Companions: The Complete 1973 Fantasy Recordings), then don't hesitate, do get this double album, where the music is so uplifting and joyous, yet laid back at the same time. An essential purchase in my eyes for collectors of Jerry's work.

Packaging is a standard slimline plastic box with an eight page booklet containing some info and photos.

Live Dead: The Grateful Dead Photographed by Bob Minkin
Live Dead: The Grateful Dead Photographed by Bob Minkin
by Blair Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Photos In A Large Format Book, 12 Feb. 2015
OK, I'll put my hand up, I am a fan of the band, but this was a Christmas present, sorry for late review!

This book contains great photos on high quality paper, a mixture of colour and black and white, with short written pieces at the beginning by Tom Constanten, Steve Parish and Blair Jackson, three guys I guess you could say were "in the know". The book opens lengthwise and although not very thick is no lightweight due to the quality paper. It would look fine on a table or you might want to store it vertically on a bookshelf (like me). It makes a fine companion to Grateful Dead 365 as another photo-book.

No Simple Highway: A Cultural History of the Grateful Dead
No Simple Highway: A Cultural History of the Grateful Dead
by Peter Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT Just Another Academic Writing About The Dead!, 12 Feb. 2015
This book is an insightful enjoyable read read for anyone with interest in the band or the counter-culture that developed and thrived in the 60s. Richardson has a PhD from Berkeley and teaches American Studies in San Francisco so you can expect a well researched and knowledgeable account of events.

The book starts not with the band, but earlier with the Beats in the fifties (Kesey, Ginsberg, Kerouac etc), and how the change that they started influenced thinking, the band, and social change that came with the advent of LSD and the music. The theme that is then followed is (to me) like a social history with many quotes from key figures along the way. The book is fascinating and I defy anyone that holds an interest with the band or this period of social change not to enjoy it and learn something along the way. I say this as someone who has and read dozens of books about the wonder that was the Grateful Dead.

My only negative comment is not about the content of the book, but the paper it is printed on!
This is a hardback book (printed in the USA), but apart from the dust cover and hard back itself, it appears to me to be printed on the cheapest paper I have ever come across in a hardback, very thin and a little rough, more like a cheap pulp fiction novel.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2015 9:58 PM GMT

Grateful Dead -- Favorites to Strum and Sing: Lyric/Chord Songbook
Grateful Dead -- Favorites to Strum and Sing: Lyric/Chord Songbook
by Grateful Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Songs; Mainly Simple Chords, 10 Feb. 2015
I have bought myself a guitar again after not playing for 43 years, and decided to get a songbook by my favourite band for inspiration. I must say that it worked, and whilst my older stiffer fingers are encountering some difficulty I love the book.

If you want a book with some simple chord sequences for some of their great songs then get this littler beauty!

Many Faces Of The Doors
Many Faces Of The Doors

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Curio At A Bargain Price, 10 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Many Faces Of The Doors (Audio CD)
As a long time fan of the Doors, I saw this triple CD at a ridiculous price on Marketplace and so had a punt and I'm glad I did.

The first CD contains band member projects plus a few oddities, but the most surprising tracks (for me) are the ones with Jim's son (the liner notes state) who sounds just like his dad to me. I enjoyed every track bar the last, Nico's live version of The End a difficult listen. The second CD of covers is a fun album which is an easy listen, and I anticipate enjoyable to fans of the band. CD3, the roots of the band is really an album of blues/R&B originals, however Gloria stands out like a sore thumb as it is not the Them original. I imagine there might have been a licensing problem.

Although this might be riding on the back of the fame of the band, there is no denying that this three CD set contains some good music, and at a little over six quid, it must be seen as a bargain.

Packaging is a fold-out digipak with 2 full pages of notes on the fourth panel.

Special Deluxe
Special Deluxe
by Neil Young

4.0 out of 5 stars Let Neil Tell You A Story, 26 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Special Deluxe (Hardcover)
I invested in the hardback book, (my favourite format for reading), which is beautifully presented with colour illustrations of Neil's cars. The style of writing is similar to (Waging Heavy Peace: A Hippie Dream) By Neil Young (Author) Hardcover on ( Oct , 2012 ), his first volume, and is to me as if he was sitting telling you stories of his adventures associated with his cars.

Although this book covers the a lot of the same ground as his first book, it is from a totally different angle and is quite fascinating to me. The one thing that I find hard to understand is his fascination with old cars which to me are simply machines with little or no value at all, but I guess that is personal preference. Neil is very honest admitting his faults as a young (arrogant) man, but there's never a truer saying than you can put on old head on young shoulders!

There are quotes from many of his songs in this volume with events being the initial inspiration, but often fantasy or perhaps imagination taking over once the muse has started to flow.

This book stands up well in it's own right but for me the better volume is the first, so whilst you don't need to read that one first, I would highly recommend it.

I would say that this book is essential for anyone that is really interested in Neil Young, but I'm sure the casual reader would also find much to enjoy within the pages as well.

HENDRIX, JIMI - DEVONSHIRE DOWNS 1969 : 3CD SET
HENDRIX, JIMI - DEVONSHIRE DOWNS 1969 : 3CD SET

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Be (very) Aware!, 17 Jan. 2015
Whilst browsing I've come across this set and considered I should post a warning review!

This might be a semi-famous gig, however the recording quality here is very poor. The initial gig (20/6/69) on CD1 is poorly recorded, but his second appearance (when he came back on 22/6/69) is just about unlistenable!!!
This does appear to be a real limited edition so far, I have 244/1000, and the package is the normal cardboard sleeves and clamshell box, the standard packaging for the MJE boxes. The best thing about this set is the amusing essay in the booklet on how the author got tickets to the gig. I paid a tenner for mine from a well know auction site, so I didn't loose much and I am an avid Hendrix fan - just be aware of what you're getting if you pay top dollar for this set!!

The Universal Tone
The Universal Tone
by Carlos Santana

5.0 out of 5 stars A great man; a great read., 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Universal Tone (Hardcover)
If you have enjoyed his music down the decades and you have followed him in the media, then this book is for you, in fact if you just want an informative biography then give this a go.

This book covers his life right up to the present and dwells on the three important areas of Carlos's life, Family; Spiritual: Music. Family has always been important to him so there is much about his childhood, his own children and his relationship with his two wives. Carlos is a very spiritual person so his involvement with meditation, his years of following Sri Chinmoy, and his experiences with angels is covered at various points. There is much on his musical influences from his roots in blues to his (almost) obsession with John Coltrane and Miles Davis (both of whom are also heroes of mine), and of course the Bay Area scene and the musicians that have played with him and his bands. Of course the start of the Milagro Foundation and its work has a good mention as well.

I consider this book gives a good insight into who Carlos Santana really is, or at the very least what "makes him tick". At a little over 500 pages, it is not a minor work and (for me) was a most enjoyable and rewarding read which I highly recommend.

Garcialive 5: December 31st 1975 Keystone Berkeley
Garcialive 5: December 31st 1975 Keystone Berkeley
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Good But There's Better, 6 Nov. 2014
So here we have V5 of this amazing series, and whilst it's really enjoyable, there's better around even with Nicky Hopkins! First of all the positives, we have here a great line up with Hopkins on piano, John Kahn (of course) on bass and (quite a regular) Greg Errico on the drummer's stool(Ron Tutt was off with the Presley Band that night). But of course we have the additions of Matthew Kelly on harmonica on all but the first couple of tracks, and during his time he sat in with many West Coast acts as well as blues greats such as Hooker! Then we have Bobby Weir and Mickey Hart sitting in for the second half of the show. With such a line-up, it was never going to be bad.

There are a few sonic problems which manifest themselves via the left hand channel, which is especially noticeable on the first song on the second CD, but it sounds as if this was simply a problem on stage not with the recording. Nicky Hopkins closes the first set with Pig's Boogie which is a spirited track, but the band never get into top gear to me. I know that Jerry's solo band was always laid back but Jerry Garcia Collection 2: Let It Rock is such a better gig and was recorded the previous month with Tutt on drums, one of my favourite JGB albums. Don't get me wrong, this is not a weak gig, but I know they can do better, hence only the four stars.

Packaging is similar to the previous issues, a fold-out digipak with a 12 page booklet, which along with track details etc contains photos and a decent essay by none other than David Gans.

Trick Or Treat
Trick Or Treat
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Box Let Down By Packaging (Deluxe Box Set), 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Trick Or Treat (Audio CD)
So first the music - if you enjoy SCI then there is plenty to enjoy in this 9 CD box culled from their famous Halloween shows. The ones featured are:

Atlanta 1998
Philadelphia 1999
Portland 2000
NYC 2001
LA 2002
Las Vegas 2003
Madison 2004
Las Vegas 29.10.2005 (2 bonus tracks)

The total running time of these CDs is well over 11 hrs with the length of the extract from the gig varying from date to date. There is a lot of fun involved as you would imagine with themes being present with some gigs, pirates travelling around the world musically at Philadelphia, a train ride around NY in NYC, and famous rock deaths at LA. Many of the tracks featured here are covers all with the SCI stamp on them. In addition to the full 9 CDs, there is the bonus of the 2CD album best of the box and a double vinyl album for your turntable to enjoy.

In addition to the music, the box also contains a signed limited edition print of the spider's web (mine is 910/1200 so there are not many of these boxes around), a selection of mini-posters advertising the gigs, a 12 page (longbox size) booklet giving details of the gigs, a 24 page book of photos of the 2001 gig, so all in all a lovely package one would think.

No for the downside of this box - the cheap packaging. This is not a cheap or budget box so I expected quality packaging, however this is not the case. On opening, on top is present the L/E Print and the photo book, the book being slotted into a lightweight sheet of card, both slots in mine were severely torn and the book loose. On lifting the first two items out, there is another flimsy cardboard tray containing the double CD one side, the 9CDs, booklet and mini-posters the other. Although shrink wrapped, the multi CD package is a fold-out where it has to be unfolded 4 times to get at CD9, so you need a large flat surface to do this. Everything has to be taken out including the tray to get at the vinyl album at the bottom, but the tray is so very flimsy it has to be to be emptied first!

My box was very well packaged for posting, with the shrink wrapped set being in a close fitting cardboard box, then in an outer box with packing so the internal damage is down to the cheap and nasty presentation of the box set. To balance things up though, at least they did not use plastic boxes for the CDs, it is all cardboard and paper.

Although I have a gripe with the format of the package, I have no regrets with purchasing this set, it is just a shame to spoil a beautiful collector's item by cheap packaging. I watched this item for quite a while before purchasing and managed to get it in the end for well under sixty pounds from Amazon themselves, however the next day I noticed the price had jumped up again, but if you want it, keep you eyes open. If you can't afford the box, then grab the 2 CD set.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17