ARRAY(0xa8094f84)

Profile for Cornish Deadhead > Reviews

Content by Cornish Deadhead
Top Reviewer Ranking: 437

Cornish Deadhead "Happy Harv" (UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Sony Nashville UK Sampler
Sony Nashville UK Sampler

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Country - Get This Whilst It's Free!, 2 April 2014
What a superb freebie!!

My experience of free samplers from 'Zon have not impressed me overall, but this one is a real cracker - I enjoyed every single track without exception. The only artist that I am completely familiar with on the album are the Pistol Annies, and I recommend their CD Hell On Heels unreservedly, however after hearing this, there more I need to investigate.

As it is free at the moment, do yourself a favour and download yourself a treat - what have you got to loose.

Diving for Pearls - 30 Years of Fire Records
Diving for Pearls - 30 Years of Fire Records
Price: 7.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear!!!!, 2 April 2014
I was invited to download this item along with some others so decided to give it a go. However, the best way that I can describe the (majority of) music contained here is dreary mediocrity!!

The production of many tracks is dire, and some sound like teenagers with a digital recorder in their bedroom. The one track that lifts the album is Guided By Voices otherwise this would probably have one star. I don't reckon I'll be playing it again and consider I best delete it from the Cloud Player. Thank heavens it was free as it's not worth buying!!!

Aces Back to Back: The History of the Grateful Dead (1965 - 2013) -- 20th Anniversary Edition
by Scott W. Allen
Price: 14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Work Of Love?, 28 Mar 2014
So this book is by a Deadhead for Deadheads and for me appears to be a work of love. I guess the way to describe it is a timeline with stories added in along the way. The format resembles a home produced book where the pages have been printed out on a domestic printer along with the illustration (many of which are a joy), so it does not (for me) have the appearance of a professionally produced book, but that adds to the charm and the personal nature of the book.

For those that don't know, Scott Allen wrote for Relix for 10 years which should give him a large slice of credibility, and of course John Barlow writes a half page forward. This edition is an updated version of the original 1992 book and covers the various bands that have hit the road since 1995 with the surviving members of the GD.

One of the most appealing aspects of the book is the way Allen tells stories linked in some way to the songs - a very personal view of the band and events.

Anyone who loved or still loves the band and their music will I'm sure enjoy somewhat personal odyssey through the band's past.

Miles at The Fillmore: Miles Davis 1970: The Bootleg Series Vol. 3
Miles at The Fillmore: Miles Davis 1970: The Bootleg Series Vol. 3
Price: 16.56

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is No Bootleg!!!, 28 Mar 2014
Bootleg Series Vol 3?? - I must query the title "Bootleg" as edited versions of some of these recordings were issued as a double album "Miles Davis At The Fillmore" and the recordings were produced by Teo Macero. Anyway, these recordings are first rate, and released at such a bargain price (I could not believe how cheap it worked out on pre-order!).

So we have hear 4 consecutive nights at the Fillmore East with the added bonus of a couple a tracks from the Fillmore West 11/4/70 tagged on to CD1 and another from the same gig tagged in to CD3. If you liked the Cellar Door Sessions which were recorded 16-19/12/70 (6 CD box), then this makes a superb companion set, and a fraction of the price!!! Although the personnel are not the same, there is the similarity in the desperate search for something new in my opinion, and there are some duplication of numbers, although of course different. I suppose some 40+ years later, the audacity and challenging nature of these recordings might not be quite so evident, but at the time Miles was walking on the edge, (but didn't he always in reality). One of the things that has always attracted me to Miles music is the fact that he never stayed in a comfortable place, but spent his life moving forward, experimenting and pushing the boundaries of jazz continually - the over four hours of music here is testament to that.

As each of these volumes is produced, the recording quality and packaging is improving. There is no hint of anything but a good recordings here and the fold-out digipak contains along with the CDs a large foldout poster with reprints of reviews on the other side together with a 32 page booklet - the whole package is nearly 3 cm thick - like I've said ridiculous value for money.

If you liked Miles in the early 70s, for heaven's sake buy this!!!

Roll on Vol 4 is what I say.

White Light Generator
White Light Generator
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Their Finest Studio Album Maybe!, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: White Light Generator (Audio CD)
CBP's live album "Live Poznan" was a killer and showed the power of the band. This album is their best recorded studio effort with the clearest vocals by far in my opinion. The acoustic opener Sweeter Than You may fool you into thinking that the band have taken a completely different direction, but then they come in rocking on track two like a sledgehammer!

The track listing divides the album into two sections, the Black Side and the White side, both of which are about the same length, and with the exception of the first track, the Black Side appears to be the louder/raunchier of the two. The album runs for about 70mins but it is so good, the time just flew by, which is why I consider it might be their best studio release.

Packaging is a fold out digipak with a 16 page booklet.

All this band needs now is to be recognised by the wider public and have the success they deserve!

Complete Arista Albums Collection
Complete Arista Albums Collection
Price: 27.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky Fun Jazz, 20 Feb 2014
This might not be everyone's cup of coffee in the jazz world as these guys love funk and fun, but boy can they play as well!

In this box you get 8 albums of predominantly happy music so far as I am concerned, with many of the tracks insisting that at least one foot is tapping. OK so these albums were recorded between 75 and 80 and I concede to some extent they are a product of their time, but for me I reckon they have aged well, with the exception of some of the vocal tracks. Michael Brecker who sadly passed away 7 years ago was one hell of a sax man and Randy was no slouch on the trumpet. As this box is available for such a reasonable price, anyone considering a purchase simply should take the plunge!

Packaging is like other boxes in this series with each album in a replica cardboard sleeve, all held in a clamshell box. There's also a 20 page booklet with a very short note by Randy, some photos, track listing, personnel etc, a lovely little set!

Neil Young: The Definitive History
Neil Young: The Definitive History
by Mike Evans
Price: 13.39

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Large Format Hardback Book, 20 Feb 2014
OK so I've been a fan of Mr Young since the 60s and have bought shed loads of music by the man, and also enjoy books about him. This large format high quality hardback is a beauty if you want light reading and some background history, but not if you want to know a little more. However if you want a book that looks good and in the main goes through his recording history, then you'll love this!

There's plenty of photos, discography and enough to interest the casual or more dedicated fan in my opinion, and if left lying around on a coffee table will bound to be picked up and scanned by friends. But if you want to get to know more about Neil, then I recommend his autobiography Waging Heavy Peace or the excellent biography by Jimmy McDonough "Shakey". If you're really keen, then have a go at Johnny Rogan's tome Zero To Sixty.

All in all a worthwhile buy then, but there's better books about Neil out there for me.

Limit  6452.01 Children's Purple Heart Analogue Watch
Limit 6452.01 Children's Purple Heart Analogue Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars IDEAL WATCH FOR UNDER 10s, 29 Jan 2014
I bought this watch for my youngest granddaughter on her 8th birthday. She is a petite little girl with very slim wrists so a large watch would be inappropriate, but this one fits her like a dream. It has a soft fabric strap and a very easy to read dial, but most importantly she loves it!

I can see that an older child might want something a little more stylish but for an eight year old this one is ideal.

Grateful Dead FAQ: All That's Left to Know About the Greatest Jam Band in History (Faq Series)
by Tony Sclafani
Price: 14.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Far Exceeded My Expectations!!, 29 Jan 2014
The title of this book did not appeal however I considered it might be worth a punt and add it to my GD library, and I'm so glad I did. It is quite different in format to other books dealing with the history of the band as it breaks it down to 39 sections (a more appropriate description than chapters to me), where the authors examines a particular area of the band such as "Friends Of The Devil; Who's Who In Deadland", a brief description of the folk associated with the band. Another is "That's When It All Began; The San Francisco Scene Of The 60s" which gives a brief description of the many bands playing at the same time. There's a couple of sections looking at the studio albums with in depth reviews that agree with about 90% which is saying something!

One section which might cause some debate is number 24 where Sclafani lists the most important gigs out of the 2318 they performed. The good thing is he includes the whole of the Europe 72 tour and my personal favourite 8/5/77. Another interesting one is one which deals with unreleased live video footage.

Whilst there will be little information in this book that cannot be found elsewhere in some form, the way it has been compiled is excellent in my opinion and should be an enjoyable read for an "old hand" Deadhead, and would also be a very easy way for a newcomer to get a mass of background information on the band.

If you love the Dead or have an interest in West Coast/rock music then this would make a great holiday read on a beach!!

Philips Sonicare HX6731/02 HealthyWhite Deluxe Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6731/02 HealthyWhite Deluxe Rechargeable Toothbrush
Price: 69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the dentist ordered, 14 Jan 2014
In order to reduce the amount of plaque formation on my teeth, my dentist suggested that I should upgrade my toothbrush to a sonic model, so when I saw this one in a "Black Friday" deal before Christmas it looked too good to miss!

From the outset this brush has made my teeth feel so clean after every use that I'm sure that my hygienist will notice a difference when I have my scheduled visit next month. I've waited a few weeks before giving a review in order to give a fair judgment of it's performance, and all I can say is brilliant. Battery life appears to be good when new as well, and as it is supplied with a neat plastic carrying box, there'll be no worries on a fortnight's holiday.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13