Profile for Jeni > Reviews

The Dice Man
The Dice Man
by Luke Rhinehart

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst book I've read, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Dice Man (Paperback)
I honestly don't know what I'm missing! I love books and read all types of genre but this one left me cold. I fought my way through about 2/3rds of the book before finally giving up. It feels far too ego-centric for my liking and all too samey. No real character development and just a trail of destruction.
Not my kind of book - given the other reviews, I don't feel I can advise against reading it - maybe proceed with caution!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2012 2:33 AM BST

The Paris Wife
The Paris Wife

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book of love and war, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Paris Wife (Kindle Edition)
I mainly enjoyed this book. There were a few points early on when I didn't feel I was getting anywhere but this soon changed and I was swept up into their world. I loved the realism and the historical facts that this book brought. Very enjoyable; now I want to read about his other wives!

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb book that you just can't put down!, 7 Feb 2012
This was a brilliant read - I love how the characters are introduced and how the book progresses - you feel that you are learning as she does. And the book had me gripped from start to finish (so much so that I read for 6 hours solid through the night to finish it as I just couldn't put it down!).
If you like intrigue and good characters, this book is a winner.

Pigeon English
Pigeon English

4.0 out of 5 stars A different way to view England, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: Pigeon English (Kindle Edition)
A great book showing a very different perspective on life than my own. Beautifully written bringing in idioms key to the character. An enjoyable read that I would recommend!

Everyone Worth Knowing
Everyone Worth Knowing
by Lauren Weisberger

5.0 out of 5 stars A truely girlie read, 5 May 2008
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
Interspersed with more in depth novels, this is good fun. Nothing to cause you great upset etc, just good fun about a twenty something girl living in the city. I loved this book. Much better than many chick lit books out there - there are many I've not managed to pass the first chapter. Take it for what it is, a good fun beach read.

PS, I Love You
PS, I Love You
by Cecelia Ahern

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy beach read, 5 May 2008
This review is from: PS, I Love You (Paperback)
I can understand the other reviews - a great concept poorly executed. Whilst I agree with this, I also believe that if you pick this up as a beach read, where you can fall asleep and quickly pick up the flow again on waking, then you will enjoy it. It is not fantastically written but the concept is enjoyable enough. I managed to read this book in a day on my sofa whilst my other half played on the playstation (boys will never grow up!). Take it for what it is and not for a literary masterpiece and you will enjoy it.

On Chesil Beach
On Chesil Beach
by Ian McEwan

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Ian McEwan, 5 May 2008
This review is from: On Chesil Beach (Paperback)
What an interesting read! As many of the reviews have said before, McEwan has handled this sensitive situation with a fantastic amount of understanding from both parties of the main characters points of view. A beautiful piece of writing but also an opportunity to relate this to our lives.

Then We Came to the End: A Novel
Then We Came to the End: A Novel
by Joshua Ferris

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep with it, it's worth it in the end, 5 May 2008
A very slow start and like many others I was close to putting it down after becoming completely lost jumping back and forth in time and between characters. Stick with it... one I managed to get through the first third (it was touch and go if I would make it) the book became interesting and seemed to settle into a rhythm I could keep with. By the end I was sad to put it down - I felt that I had read something special, even more so given the fact that most would give up and not get to the hidden world at the end of the book. I'm not going to ramble on about the storyline, you can read that for yourself. If you like the sound of it then go for it but beware that it takes perseverance!
1 out of 5 starts for the first third
4 out of 5 starts for the rest

Broken
Broken
by Daniel Clay

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Debut - Realism at its best, 5 May 2008
This review is from: Broken (Paperback)
What a brilliant read - a beautiful blend of right verses wrong intertwined with hope, love and family ties. The other reviews paint a picture of what the book is about so I won't repeat. This was a great find - I look forward to reading more books by Clay. This is a book that I could and would recommend to all my family and friends.