Profile for N. O'Brien > Reviews

Content by N. O'Brien

N. O'Brien "N.O'Brien" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
A Perfect Life
A Perfect Life
by Raffaella Barker

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 2 and a half stars., 23 July 2011
This review is from: A Perfect Life (Paperback)
A bit more chick lit than I had expected. I didn't like or empathise with the two main characters and I found the dialogue of the two small children tedious and irritating.I ended up skim reading it !I thought the whole thing was a depressing view of marriage in middle age, not the profound vision the blurb on the cover promised.

The Claudine Novels (Twentieth Century Classics)
The Claudine Novels (Twentieth Century Classics)
by Colette

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to reading this..., 15 July 2011
I have just received this book and can't wait to start it, but I wanted to post a review so people looking to buy this second hand version know what novels are included in this collection, as the description and other reviewers haven't included that information; I took the chance that they did have all the novels from the newer version and it does. This volume has : Claudine at School, Claudine in Paris, Claudine Married and Claudine and Annie. I have 5 starred this review as a friend of mine had raved about it & I trust her judgement !Hope this helps.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2013 12:55 PM BST

Middle Eastern Cooking (Sainsbury/Walker Books)
Middle Eastern Cooking (Sainsbury/Walker Books)
by Claudia Roden

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !, 4 Jun 2011
Great book, informative, quirky illustrations and lots of classic recipes and others I have never heard of. Will be using this lots.

KCMODE Womens Blue Leather Style Office Satchel Handbag
KCMODE Womens Blue Leather Style Office Satchel Handbag

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely bag, 20 April 2011
Very pleased with this bag, great size and the teal blue colour is better 'in the flesh'. Good value bag.

The Bolter: Idina Sackville - The woman who scandalised 1920s Society and became White Mischief's infamous seductress
by Frances Osborne
Price: 8.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 2 Sep 2010
Painstakingly researched,interesting point of view given the author's personal family connection. The family tree at the start of the book is very useful too as there are lots of characters and marriages to keep track of ! If you enjoy social history and well written biography, buy this book.

We'll Live And Die In These Towns
We'll Live And Die In These Towns
Price: 4.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this !, 28 Jan 2009
This album is always playing on my ipod.Brilliant tunes - Happy Birthday Jane is my stand out track. Give it a go.

Saturday Night Fever
Saturday Night Fever
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - not original artists !, 20 Nov 2008
This review is from: Saturday Night Fever (Audio CD)
If you are looking at the item with the bright blue cover and John Travola character in a white suit, then this CD is not sung by the original artists - I know I bought this and then had to buy the proper one. If you want the original soundtrack by the original artists then buy the CD with the Bee Gees on the cover. Unfortunately Amazon are using the same reviews for both, I did ring and tell them but it hasn't been changed yet. My copy is now at the Cancer Research shop....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2013 11:14 PM GMT

One Pot French: More Than 100 Easy, Authentic Recipes
One Pot French: More Than 100 Easy, Authentic Recipes
by Jean-Pierre Challet

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title and cover, 17 Sep 2008
Totally agree with another reviewer regarding the lack of one pot dishes. I was hoping for some good ideas for my le creuset casserole pot and although to be fair there are a couple, it mainly consisted of French classics which I really wasn't after (having got books on those already)
Disappointed with this book soley for the reason that it didn't do what it said on the tin !

40 Over 40: 40 Things Every Woman Over 40 Needs to Know About Getting Dressed: Forty Things Women Over Forty Need to Know About Getting Dressed
by Brenda Kinsel

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I expected !, 9 Sep 2008
I was disappointed with this book as it seemed to be aimed at the American woman and I didn't really like the 'gushy' writing style. Only buy this if you really haven't got a clue about colour or style.

Fresh and Fast: Meals from the Oven (Right Way)
Fresh and Fast: Meals from the Oven (Right Way)
by Annette Yates

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Recipes, 8 Sep 2008
Really good little book with some excellent recipes - the only downside is that there aren't any pictures but that's to be expected in a paperback.
Great value.