Profile for avid reader > Reviews

Content by avid reader

avid reader

Page: 1 | 2
The Napoleonic Wars (3): The Peninsular War 1807-1814 (Guide To...)
The Napoleonic Wars (3): The Peninsular War 1807-1814 (Guide To...)

4.0 out of 5 stars Having recently visited the Iberian peninsular I was able to envisage many of the places where the events occurred and I am plea, 13 Feb. 2015
This was a book which taught me a lot about a little known part of our history. Having recently visited the Iberian peninsular I was able to envisage many of the places where the events occurred and I am pleased that I took the trouble to follow up this interest. The book is well composed and exciting to read.

Das Reich: 2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich - Drive to Normandy, June 1944 (Battleground)

1.0 out of 5 stars I found it tedious, hard to wade through and not worth the ..., 13 Feb. 2015
A poorly written book, consisting mainly of lists of names and places - more an inventory to refer to than a true account of the actual events which took place at a very important time in our history. I found it tedious, hard to wade through and not worth the expenditure of my time to read it to the end. NOT a book I would recommend to anyone I liked.

Please Sir!
Please Sir!
by Jack Sheffield

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, 17 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Please Sir! (Paperback)
Thoroughly to be recommended, Found the first book by accident and have become totally absorbed by the stories. Do not miss this great experience.

Conquer or Die: Wellington's Veterans and the Liberation of the New World
Conquer or Die: Wellington's Veterans and the Liberation of the New World

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Easy Reading., 17 Sept. 2013
This is a very difficult book to follow and does not flow easily. It is an aspect of history which is not generally known and I have learned a lot about South American affairs which I had previously never considered. However I would never recommend this book as it does not approach the subject from the point of view of one who actually served in the many campaigns reported.

Train Strain
Train Strain

5.0 out of 5 stars Rail Traveller., 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Train Strain (Kindle Edition)
A well written, very observant, witty and thoroughly enjoyable read, with flashes of humour. We can all appreciate this book, having been there ourselves.

National Service - A Reluctant Snowdrop's Perspective
National Service - A Reluctant Snowdrop's Perspective

2.0 out of 5 stars NATIONAL SERVICE, 30 Dec. 2012
A flat diary of events written by a man with no writing experience - and it shows. Obviously of some interest to those of us who have done National Service, but I wouldn't recommend it to general readers.

101 best jokes
101 best jokes

2.0 out of 5 stars No substance, 11 Dec. 2012
This review is from: 101 best jokes (Kindle Edition)
Too short, poor content and only funny in parts. Would not have bothered if I'd known it wasn't worth the effort.

A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob for PM, 11 Dec. 2012
Thoroughly enjoyable and would recommend it to all cat lovers. A moving account of life from the perspective of a homeless person and I was moved by the effect a homeless cat had on the author.

I Can't Get My Overalls Off
I Can't Get My Overalls Off

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better., 11 Dec. 2012
Interesting but obviously written by an amateur with no technical writing skills. Good luck to the author and don't give up the day job - it's more your forte than writing.

What's Tha Up To Nah?
What's Tha Up To Nah?

3.0 out of 5 stars Nah then then,opinion, 8 Aug. 2012
Whilst this book was nice to read, it was obvious that it was written by and amateur and did not come up to the standard of the Heartbeat series author by a North Yorkshire bobby. I enjoyed it and could empathize with much of the story, but I will not be buying any more of this writer's books.

Page: 1 | 2