Profile for Hannah > Reviews

Content by Hannah

Hannah

Christmas at the Cupcake Café (Christmas Fiction)
Christmas at the Cupcake Café (Christmas Fiction)
by Jenny Colgan

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 28 May 2014
A gift my mum had requested for her birthday. An easy to read book, good gift and quick delivery despite me ordering a little late!

Little Beach Street Bakery
Little Beach Street Bakery
by Jenny Colgan

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 28 May 2014

The Food Hourglass
The Food Hourglass
by Dr Kris Verburgh

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 28 May 2014
This review is from: The Food Hourglass (Paperback)
Gift for my mum's birthday (requested it!). She was really pleased, and although I ordered late it only turned up 1 day late for her birthday.

A Rural Affair
A Rural Affair

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 17 May 2012
This review is from: A Rural Affair (Kindle Edition)
Poppy travels along a series of emotions through this book, and as the reader you are able to sympathise with her. I read this within two days, and it only took me that long as i had 3 children to juggle as well! It is a gripping story that can't be put down as you are waiting to find out what is in store for Poppy next. I have been lucky enough to read one of Alliott's previous novels; 'A Married Man' and again would recommend both these books to readers who enjoy light hearted, entertaining books that take you a million miles away, whilst staying believable.

The Greatest Love Story of All Time
The Greatest Love Story of All Time
by Lucy Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Debut, 17 May 2012
This is the story that gripped me right from the beginning. I felt as though i was living the story with Fran, and Robinson kept me in suspense right until the end with her last minute revelation in the finale. Her characters are believable to today's society, and it was heartening to know that they have flaws just like the rest of us. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys good chic lit, and as a debut novel I wait in anticipation for her following novels, of which I'm sure there will be many.

Citizen Sailors: The Royal Navy in the Second World War
Citizen Sailors: The Royal Navy in the Second World War
by Glyn Prysor

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating accounts., 2 May 2012
I did a specialist topic on the Second World War whilst at school for my A-Levels, so was really excited to receive this book in the post. Living in Portsmouth also added to the enjoyment of reading these accounts as local areas were regularly mentioned as were ships that family members had served on. Prysor has included many first hand accounts from sailors of the Royal Navy, that give an insight into some of the less well-known battles as well as the more familiar. Some of these testimonies are raw and gritty, and Prysor does not try to shy away from this fact, and I feel this has given me a more real view of what it was like to serve for the Royal Navy during these years. I have since passed this book on to other family members who are enjoying it as much as I did, definitely one to recommend.

Deadly Animals: Savage Encounters Between Man and Beast
Deadly Animals: Savage Encounters Between Man and Beast
by Gordon Grice

4.0 out of 5 stars Deadly Animals, 2 May 2012
Grice has a wealth of personal knowledge when it comes to deadly and dangerous animals, and this is portrayed through his confident and informative writing which allows us to learn perhaps a new side to some familiar and not so familiar creatures. The passion for these animals is clear throughout the book, and rather than feel fear after completing it, i rather feel much more able to deal with any situations i may find myself in! I really enjoyed the chapter on bears, being a personal favourite of mine, and was very surprised to learn the sloth is the most likely to attack humans! Written with easy to read chapters, this is one not to put down, and would be great for younger readers too.
Bring on the warmer weather and some exciting expeditions into the wild to find these creatures!!

by Laura Moriarty

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating story!, 19 April 2012
This review is from: The Chaperone (Paperback)
When I began this novel I wasn't aware that I would be unable to put it down until all pages had been devoured! Moriarty transports you with ease back to the early 1900s where life for women is very different from today, using language and descriptions that really make you feel as though you are travelling alongside the characters themselves.
As the story progresses we learn more about the background of our lead character and heroine Cora, and in turn learn about the culture of America at this time and the difficulties women faced as the world around them altered at a rapid pace. As she accompanies a young woman to New York who wishes to persue a summer of dance lessons, she herself has alteria movtives for taking on this role which not only helps to explain her past but to also alter her future.
This a beautiful book, written extremely well, and one I am definitely recommending for everyone to read.