Profile for Hamnix Felix Toe > Reviews

Content by Hamnix Felix Toe

Hamnix Felix Toe "Hamnix" (UK)

Creative I-Trigue 3330 - 2.1-channel PC multimedia speaker system - 29 Watt (Total)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, Great Value, 13 Aug. 2012
This is a very good system for the money. Immeasurably improves sound from your computer. At fist sight, I thought the tiny desk monitors would not perform but they give a very good sound. Bass speaker will if cranked up give an enormous boom. Very clear insructions, speedy delivery.
A very sound buy

Bad As Me
Bad As Me

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much sturm & drang. More melody please., 16 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Bad As Me (Audio CD)
I'm still waiting for Waits to match Mule Variations - the achingly poignant melodies....Charlie Musselwhite's virtuoso harmonica carving startling and plantive shapes (3rd position for the cognoscenti)....and the poignancy of songs like Georgia Lee. Fit to make you cry.
This one sounds like he's on autopilot again in the scrapyard. And that great hefty cardboard book ? With one CD for 3 "Extra" songs ? Otiose.

Abus Granit-54 X-Plus D-Lock - Black, 30cm
Abus Granit-54 X-Plus D-Lock - Black, 30cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Abus Tough Lock - 15 security rating, 5 April 2011
The usual great Abus solidity. And it is the highest security rating - 15 - as I had hoped and expected but not (strangely) mentioned in the writeup. Especially effective with one through the frame and one through the front wheel. A good price and a very speedy delivery. Weight is the only drawback but that's the price you pay to keep the loathsome scumbags away (yes - I have had a bike stolen and it REALLY taxed my pacifism)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2012 9:37 AM GMT

Koss Porta Pro On-Ear Headphones Classic, for iPod, iPhone, MP3 and Smartphone - Black/Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Inexpensive lightweight headphones, 14 Feb. 2011
These phones sound very good with surprising bass for the price. They also sit over or under most of my hats, which is a huuge attraction for me. Very comfy either way.
Cheap enough to have a pair at work and one at home. Lastly, the cord seems stronger than usual at the vulnerable end where the plug goes into my radio........me I love the Home Service.......

Lightnin' Hopkins: His Life and Blues
Lightnin' Hopkins: His Life and Blues
by Alan B. Govenar

5.0 out of 5 stars A magisterial book, 27 Aug. 2010
I confess that I am biased. The first LP I ever bought was by Lightning Hopkins. In 1965 there was not a lot of blues around. For a first bite of the blues I cannot imagine a more atmospheric, mesmerising, wickedly funny and downhome funky candidate than Po' Lightnin'. This book captures all those qualities in a tightly developed narrative which really is hard to put down. Govenar adroitly navigates all the tricky rocks and shoals of "authenticity" (white blues nerds - me included) versus "entertainment" (Lightnin's black audience) with wit and keen insight.
Above all, his sheer zest for this fascinating and complex man shines through.
And the photos are hugely evocative. Evidently Lightnin radiated charisma in whatever context he found himself - even stretched out on his back asleep with a hat on face at a festival. No one carried off a hat better than Lightnin'...
Very few books leave me wanting to read them again immediately. This one did.