Profile for Alex Fenton > Reviews

Captivate Your Readers: An Editor's Guide to Writing Compelling Fiction
Captivate Your Readers: An Editor's Guide to Writing Compelling Fiction
by Jodie Renner

5.0 out of 5 stars Stays focused on its core purpose, 2 Mar. 2015
I was privileged to be one of the beta-readers for this book, and having witnessed its development, I can confirm that Jodie is an author who genuinely practises what she preaches.

Entire chapters have come and gone, to ensure the final product stays focused on delivering exactly what it promises - techniques that will ensure your writing captivates its readers, and brings them back for more.

Each chapter has been written to stand on its own merits; so dive in to the pages that interest you most, and take notes as you go.

This is Jodie Renner's third book on the craft of writing; written from her experience both as a published author and professional freelance-editor, and that experience really comes through in this book.

Fire up Your Fiction: An Editor's Guide to Writing Compelling Stories
Fire up Your Fiction: An Editor's Guide to Writing Compelling Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars "I'd like to thank my editor...", 1 Feb. 2015
"I'd like to thank my editor..."

Have you ever wondered why so many of the world’s best selling authors, in writing Dedications, immediately jump from thanking their partners and family to thanking their editors?

This book, along with her others, were instrumental in clearing up that mystery for me.

I've bought dozens of books on writing over the past year, most of which were inspiring, but this is one of four or five that I've returned to time and time again.

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but if you want honest and direct advice, that will truly improve your writing, give it a good study.

I-Ching of Mi Lo: Magical Antiquarian Curiosity Shoppe, A Weiser Books Collection (The Magical Antiquarian Curiosity Shoppe)

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully irreverent, and perfectly workable, 24 Dec. 2013
A hilariously blunt and perceptive 'translation' of the classic I-Ching.

I'd have to heartily recommend this book to anyone interested in a no nonsense approach to the I-Ching, or divination in general... The I-Ching in my experience, never pulls it's punches, and this rendition only serves to make that even more so; so be prepared for some brutally frank, and all too amusing answers.

Woken Furies (Takeshi Kovacs Book 3)
Woken Furies (Takeshi Kovacs Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as the first two, 13 Jun. 2013
The third book centred around the Kovachs main character, and still no closer to running out of ideas, or strength in writing.

For me, the book seemed to take a bit of a dip for a while, though difficult to say why without spoilers, but even the dip itself was still well written and engaging enough to keep you rooting for the characters. Things pick up again towards the end, and there are no shortage of plot twists to keep you second guessing about where it's all going.

I've been extremely impressed by Richard Morgan's writing style throughout this series, it's been a breath of fresh air, to be honest. I'd highly recommend him to anyone looking for a genuinely interesting, well written novel.

Broken Angels (Takeshi Kovacs Book 2)
Broken Angels (Takeshi Kovacs Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars No shortage of new ideas..., 6 Jun. 2013
This being his second novel, I was a bit worried that all of his best ideas might have been forced into the first. I'm very happy to see that that wasn't the case.

Well worth a read, to anyone who enjoys sci-fi or just a well written story.

This is a stand-alone book in many ways, but I think you'd get even more enjoyment from it if you read Altered Carbon, first.

Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs Book 1)
Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A superbly written story - thank god..., 25 May 2013
It would be difficult to praise the writing in this book highly enough - I've suffered my way through so much junk fiction recently, that I can only thank the person who recommended it to me.

I'll certainly have no qualms about working my way through the rest of Richard's back catalogue.

If you enjoy 'science fiction', or are just a sucker for a really well written story with engaging characters, then make this book a priority...