Profile for Minks > Reviews

Minks (London, UK.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Bialetti Elegance Venus Induction 6  Cup Stainless Steel Espresso Maker
Bialetti Elegance Venus Induction 6 Cup Stainless Steel Espresso Maker

4.0 out of 5 stars My first stovetop (stainless steel?) espresso maker, 27 July 2014
Received this today and after reading all the reviews gained a lot of insight into this espresso maker - being the first one I have purchased, although I have used others in the past. I had problems with delivery (from Hot Plate Products Ltd but on the invoice says Amazon SARL) but v good Amazon customer service meant that I still received the item within the same week, so thank you Amazon CS.

The item arrived in its original packaging which states that it is 'developed & designed in Italy' but made in China - I have no qualms about this (hopefully fair) arrangement but it seems other reviewers do so it must be important to some of you out there. It also states '18/10 stainless steel collector and heater also suitable for induction hobs' but does not say what the inner parts are made of. I mention this as there have been comments about the use of aluminium (Al) in this type of espresso maker but I have no idea if that is the material used here. If that is the case, this is slightly disappointing as I was under the impression that this was wholly made out of stainless steel but I have not looked into the pros/ cons of the use of Al. The outer packaging does state stainless steel but does not list any other materials, not even the evident plastic. I notice a previous review mentioned the fact that the inner parts were not magnetic, but I also read in the comment that not all stainless steel is so I am none the wiser.

On opening the box, I immediately noticed some dark brown/ black flecks on the outer and inner side of the lid. I do not know what this infers but I found that I could easily wash it off with water and the use of my fingernails! The body was shiny and flawless. The bottom of the tank also had some of these flecks on it but was otherwise in excellent condition.

After discarding the first brew, as per the instructions, I immediately made myself a mug to try. It started to gurgle nicely and when the sound stopped, it was ready. Yes, I was relatively happy with my first cup, getting that satisfactory caffeine buzz I have missed, but I think I will need to have a few goes with it to make it to taste. Anyone who has visited the continent or a coffee shop, I think will know that an espresso cup is tiny, so this was not an issue for me and as others have said, could make 1-2 mugs (with milk/ cream).

The first brew I checked by opening the lid - but found that this was a mistake as the condensation collected under the lid ran onto the handle (making it hot) and also down the side of the pot. This in turn slightly scorched the bottom of the pot. I also found that the circumference of the bottom of the tank was also quite scratched after use on the gas hob, so the quality is not what I hoped for, but perhaps that is what I paid for.

On first wash (after leaving it to cool) I did notice some discolouration within the tank and upper part. I used boiled water (no abrasives used as per instructions) to rinse it and left it to air dry but the discolouration remained.

One of the other pots I had used prior to this was a 4 cup (which made me go for a 6 cup) and felt heavier in the hand. It was v obviously made completely out of good quality materials and the handle was also much sturdier and designed to be held at right angles to the pot (if I could find it, I would have bought it!), so this pot loses a star for not being as good quality as expected, pending further use & hopefully discovering it is made fully out of stainless steel (otherwise would lose another star)!

Wardrobe hanging rail set
Wardrobe hanging rail set
Offered by Fitmykitchen

1.0 out of 5 stars Purchased from Handles And Ironmongery, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Wardrobe hanging rail set
Seems like a sturdy product but measured a cupboard space and specifically wanted the length of rail advertised (864mm) but it was a little too long at 90 cm. I do not have the tools to modify it and am disappointed that I did not receive the product as advertised.

Went through the proper channels through Amazon to contact the company for a return & refund but have not heard a thing, so unfortunately the service has been an absolute disappointment as well.

It sounds hit or miss if you receive the item as described. I wonder if it depends on the seller involved?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2014 2:40 PM BST

GENUINE/ORIGINAL SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 SIV I-9500 HEADPHONES-EARPHONES-HANDSFREE EO-HS3303WE WHITE
Offered by ItsTek

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than the faulty ones that came with my S4!, 25 Nov 2013
Bought from phonetictac. Received them well within the time stated. Bought them as an extra (cheap) pair in case my current ones failed only to try them out and find that the ones that came packaged with my phone must have been faulty as these actually have better sound and do the phone justice. Really thought it was just hopeless at listening through the headphone jack. Not any more. In fact going to buy another pair to be the spare to these, and at this price, why wouldn't you? They do appear to be identical with the ones that came with my phone and are Samsung branded. Only owned for one day but so pleased with the sound (compared to my bundled now-known-to-be-faulty ones) that I had to write this review! Thank you!

Targus AWE55EU Laptop Cooling Pad 2 fans laptop cooler fits 15"-17"
Targus AWE55EU Laptop Cooling Pad 2 fans laptop cooler fits 15"-17"

3.0 out of 5 stars Use with 15inch laptop, 1 July 2013
This is a smart looking mat which is portable and was priced v competitively on amazon. Bought this on the strength of the reviews here. Had a previous monster of a cooler that took up so much space, looked like an alien arachnid and was incredibly noisy.

This item is very quiet and has made somewhat of a difference in that the laptop fan does not turn on as much as it used to, but still often enough to be annoyingly loud and worryingly warm. As other reviewers have noted, the fans are not placed exactly where I need it so I find that I tend to have my laptop slightly overhanging to the right.

Overall, it has made me feel more confident that my laptop will have a longer life but does not cool as much as my laptop needs.

Savvies Crystal-Clear screen protector for Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
Savvies Crystal-Clear screen protector for Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
Offered by protectionfilms24-com

5.0 out of 5 stars For my G3, 1 July 2013
Was very easy to apply, no bubbles and appears invisible once in the correct position. Was able to lift the protector a couple of times as I wasn't happy with the initial positioning but this caused no problems with the final application.

Philips HD4671/20 Brushed Metal Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt - 1.7 Litre
Philips HD4671/20 Brushed Metal Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt - 1.7 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a kettle, That acts like a kettle, 14 Mar 2013
Got it from Amazon (not a seller) in December last year and I drink copious amounts of hot drinks.

I only use filtered water in my hard water area and am so happy that this kettle does not leak from anywhere, that I do not get scalded by hot steam, I do not struggle with the lid (pops open, pops closed - fab), I did not ever have a plastic taste (despite the plastic lining and spout as can be seen in the pics) although I did clean it a few times before actual use & it boils very quickly.

The cup measurements are not quite right for me, but I always did only boil as much water as I needed otherwise the indicator is quite large so I find is easy to read. Others may find the kettle quite large and heavy, but I find that this is common in newer kettles. Many other reviewers have commented on how quiet this kettle is but I think it is similar to other kettles I've had. The lid on mine is slightly ajar - it is slightly raised on the spout side when closed - I cannot recall if it always closed this way but doesn't make a difference to my using it.

I think it is quite sturdy and feels well made. The only thing that looks out of place is the transparent on/off switch which feels brittle in comparison with the rest of the kettle but lights up blue when on.

Samsung 8GB Class 10 SDHC Extreme Speed Memory Card with Frustration Free Packaging

4.0 out of 5 stars Indestructible?, 14 Mar 2013
Bought this for someone else who required a hard wearing card. . . . more due to possible mishandling by persons not technologically minded as I have had to purchase a couple SD cards in a short space of time by other companies. They seem happy with it so far and so hopefully this one will last a lot longer.

Philips EnergyCare GC3640/22 Steam Iron, 2400 Watt - Lime Green
Philips EnergyCare GC3640/22 Steam Iron, 2400 Watt - Lime Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for all the reviews, 14 Mar 2013
Bought this from Amazon (not a seller) last Oct on the strength of all the reviews here.

I really liked the features of this iron, especially the energycare 'gimmick', I am a sucker for eco credibility and so far has done everything it says it can so I am very pleased with this purchase. I'll not go into specifics as many previous reviewers have done so very well.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Coty - a portfolio of fragrance & cosmetics, 14 Mar 2013
I received a sample of this fragrance last year so cannot believe it is being discontinued (reading previous reviews). Thought it is a clean, fresh, warm fragrance that is perfect for everyday (and for my line of work) as it is not overpowering and is unusual - I would not describe this as floral but is still feminine i.e. I like it!

I would suggest that people try it on before they buy as I have received compliments when wearing it, but it is often set aside when perfume shopping with others.

Compared to its RRP, the price here is good and I'm wondering if I should stock up as I am quite picky (first 'new' fragrance I have bought in a few years!) and do not follow the crowd when it comes to scents. The box is branded but the bottle is not, instead has 'Coty' on the bottom, which is the company that produces this fragrance, among others.

Daewoo KOR6AOR Digital ECO Microwave, 800 Watt, 20 Litre - Black/Silver Handle
Daewoo KOR6AOR Digital ECO Microwave, 800 Watt, 20 Litre - Black/Silver Handle

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bought Daewoo before...., 14 Mar 2013
Was looking for a smaller volume microwave which would suit the current kitchen décor while also being a prudent buy and this ticked all those boxes. Bought this in Jan 2013 from Amazon (not a seller).

It works well and warms food & drinks evenly, which was a concern I had as a previous more expensive model did not.

My only concern is that the door steams up whenever it is used. This has not happened with other microwaves I have used (due to smaller volume?) but I hope that it means nothing as in all other aspects it is great.

I am happy it has an eco function, it gave me more incentive to purchase this product over others.

The delivery seemed difficult as when checking the delivery tracking it stated that a delivery had been attempted and a card had been left when it hadn't. When checked a couple of days later, it had said delivery had been completed. . .. when it hadn't. Called Amazon customer services and they sorted it all out. Later, on checking 'my orders' saw that the original delivery had been returned to Amazon so I have no idea what happened there as I rarely have a problem with Amazon deliveries.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3