Profile for C. Gillespie > Reviews

Content by C. Gillespie

C. Gillespie "Clarita the Bookworm" (Belfast)

Page: 1 | 2
Broken Dolls (A Jefferson Winter Thriller)
Broken Dolls (A Jefferson Winter Thriller)
Price: 1.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary...in daylight...on a beach, 14 May 2014
I read this book in two days on my holidays! It is brilliant. I don't read many thrillers but will definitely be buying more from this author. He did comment A LOT about the weather which was a bit annoying and a few characters that we were introduced to didn't appear again in the story BUT that being said this is still definitely worth the money! The main characters are easy to like despite their various histories and you can vividly picture everything being described. It reminded me a little of The Skin I Live In movie by Almodovar... Five stars!

Keeper of the Light (The Keeper of the Light Trilogy - Book 1)
Keeper of the Light (The Keeper of the Light Trilogy - Book 1)
Price: 0.95

3.0 out of 5 stars A strange book..., 6 May 2014
I found this book a bit strange and agree with other reviewers. I am 92% through this book and don't feel there was really a story but I absolutely love two of the main characters. I haven't been able to put this book down even though it isn't anywhere near as good as Necessary Lies but I want to know what happens to everyone. Despite the lack of "story" I will more than likely purchase the next book in the trilogy. There is nothing wrong with this book but there is also nothing exceptional...

Over You
Over You
Price: 3.59

4.0 out of 5 stars I love Lucy Diamonds books!, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Over You (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoy Lucy Diamond books and this is no exception. I loved the characters and felt so sorry for Josie and got a real sense of the betrayal and rejection she felt. I like Nell as the whirlwind friend and I like the way the twins are portrayed. Their childish characterisation gives the novel an extra dimension showing that despite what Josie has went through she must still be a good mother, and then once the twins are put to bed you can nearly hear Josie breathing a sigh of relief that she can safely feel whatever way she wants to.

Only negative is the absolutely APPALLING editing for the kindle version. At one stage "he'll" becomes hell, words are missed out etc. etc.

But a terrific read!

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
by Rachel Joyce
Price: 3.85

4.0 out of 5 stars A story unlike any other, 6 Oct 2013
I found this book enchanting!

The innocence and naivety of both Maureen and Harold really touched my heart, especially when Harold is buying souvenirs for some reason and the way both characters are portrayed. Harold's journey is turbulent and we are introduced to a host of characters who you can vividly picture as you read. I felt the way the book ended was a bit strange and would also liked to have seen a bit more of Rex at some stage towards the end but I would still recommend this book to a friend based on the endearing qualities of the characters, the lilting enjoyable plot and the genuine innocence of the story.

Beautifully written.

York 4kg Vinyl Kettlebell
York 4kg Vinyl Kettlebell
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginner, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: York Vinyl Kettlebell (Sports)
This is a good kettle bell to start off with. I looked up a workout on youtube and for five days afterwards struggled to get up and down the stairs having worked out with this 4kg kettlebell. The following week I repeated the workout and was fine but sweaty... I think regardless of what weight you start off with, you will hurt as you are using different muscle groups... This one was perfect for me...

Me Before You
Me Before You
by Jojo Moyes
Price: 3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The 2085 five-stars speak for themselves!, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
This is one of the most outstanding chick-lit books I have ever read. It has kept me up until all hours desperate to find out what happens next. All the characters are well developed and the two main characters will keep you intrigued from page one. I have and will continue to recommend this book to all my friends... I even won 20 copies to give away on World Book Night! READ THIS BOOK NOW IF YOU LIKE THIS GENRE!!!

The Mystery of Mercy Close
The Mystery of Mercy Close
by Marian Keyes
Price: 12.96

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing...., 10 Mar 2013
I am a HUGE Marian Keyes fan and have read "Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married" twice but "The Mystery of Mercy Close " fell really short of the usual standard. There was a lack of character development and the plot was slow and boring. The plot was unbelievable and... stupid... I would loved to have known more about Artie but he just dipped in and out of the book and although Helen's relationship with Jay was mentioned often, we are none the wiser really as to what they were like as a couple. I kept thinking this book was going to get better so persevered but it has taken me over two months to get from start to finish and normally I read a book per week. I would advise people not to waste their time on this one but to buy some of Keyes' older novels if they haven't yet read them....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2013 5:59 PM BST

Monday to Friday Man
Monday to Friday Man
Price: 0.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 9 Dec 2012
Although this book was only 20p it was a complete waste of money. The characters are unbelievable and the the story line is stupid. I hate not finishing books but could NOT waste any more time on this one. There is a lack of character development and the plot is so unrealistic. WHO is rating this chick lit with 5 stars?!?! They clearly have not read Sophie Kinsella or Marian Keyes. Avoid this book.

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
by E L James
Price: 3.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Fifty Shades of poorly written erotica..., 13 Jun 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (Paperback)
I am glad that I've read this book so I know what all the hype is about but I won't be indulging in the 2nd and 3rd. The storyline is so boring and while the sexy 'scenes' are very descriptive by about halfway through you know what to expect and are bored. The actual concept is somewhat ridiculous that a girl goes from innocent to vixen in a matter of days. Ana must say "oh my" no less than 70 times throughout the novel and the lack of character development and story line is frustrating. Having said that it is easy to read and if you follow trends do pick it up to see what you think yourself...

The Mermaid and the Drunks
The Mermaid and the Drunks
by Ben Richards

4.0 out of 5 stars Chile anyone?, 6 Dec 2011
I am going through a phase of "travel books" at the moment and picked this one up thinking it was just that - a person's experience of travelling through Chile. When I discovered it was a work of fiction I was mildly disappointed however, have thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is a bit slow in places but you can picture everything from the discriptions and I find myself interested in both Joe and Fresia. It has definitely made me want to go to Chile as it sounds like a spectacular country. I'm not sure if that was the aim of the author.

Page: 1 | 2