Profile for Tom > Reviews

Content by Tom

Tom "tommiisonfire" (Midlands, England)

This Is War
This Is War
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars This. Is. War., 24 Dec. 2009
This review is from: This Is War (Audio CD)
After 2005's release of the truly epic album 'A Beautiful Lie', 30 Seconds To Mars have become a international phenomenon winning various awards including Kerrang!'s band of the year in both 2007 and 2008; so it was in no doubt that their latest release, 'This Is War' had a lot to live up to.

After expecting another fantastic album similar to 'A Beautiful Lie', Jared, Tomo and Shannon have produced an album which most people did not expect. The lead single, 'Kings and Queens' only had a highest positioning of 3rd across the entire world suggested that this was a weak song, and that 30 Seconds To Mars had had their heyday. However, this is not the case.

What most people (myself included) had expected from 30STM was another 'A Beautiful Lie', an album with solid tracks throughout; and some truly awesome songs (see From Yesterday, The Kill and Attack). Jared et al haven't tried to replicate ABL, what they've done is created something with far more intrigue and depth. The title track, 'This Is War is be, in my opinion, one of the greatest songs of 2009; the suspense and drama achieved in this song is simply great. Other exceptional songs to look out for: 100 Suns, Vox Populi and Search and Destroy).

The only bad thing about this greatly artistic album is from the track L490; which has an opening unparalleled to any other song, but still doesn't really make it any good at all.

In short, if you're a 30 Seconds To Mars Fan, or a fan of well produced music with intriguing and thought provoking lyrics, this is the album for you.

I Am Legend [DVD] [2007]
I Am Legend [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Will Smith
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Woah!, 31 May 2008
This review is from: I Am Legend [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
After being subjected to some hype about this movie I thought that it wouldnt live up to the hype. I was so wrong.

This film is a masterpiece. Brilliant.

Leave a Whisper (Bonus Tracks) [US Import] [ENHANCED]
Leave a Whisper (Bonus Tracks) [US Import] [ENHANCED]
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply phenomenal., 29 April 2008
Theres not much more I can say really; every song is exceptional, with my personal favourites being "45" and "In Memory". This album is one of the best I've ever heard.

I felt that the addition of "45 (Acoustic)" and "Burning Bright (Sanford Sessions)" really push this album into the higher tier of albums; a feat which few artists make.

The "Simple Man" cover, I think, doesn't really fit in with the ethos of this album, but the song is ok.

Overall, if you like rock music, get this album.

Keep Telling Myself It's Alright
Keep Telling Myself It's Alright

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've and should've been better., 29 April 2008
From experiencing the amazing single, "The Stone", I felt intitled to an amazing début album by ASHES dIVIDE. I found no such amazing album. I can't even see a second single coming from this lot.

Generally poor but brought up by the incredible "The Stone".

Sony MDR-E 818 LP  Headphones
Sony MDR-E 818 LP Headphones
Offered by amy's Schätze

5.0 out of 5 stars Soo much better than the iPod headphones... Until Now, 27 Mar. 2008
My iPod headphones broke so I got some of these... they're considerably better than the ones that you get with ur iPod.

I'd definitely recommend it.

[/edit 06-05-08] Disappointingly my right earbud fails to produce any sound anymore, and I've only had it over a month!

Burnout Paradise (Xbox 360)
Burnout Paradise (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars In esscence good, in reality not quite so..., 30 Jan. 2008
I played the demo, and found it mediocre, except from the immensely annoying introduction, and so I thought I might as well buy it.

If you compare this game to its rivals, namely Need For Speed: ProStreet, PGR4, Forza 2 and Test Drive Unlimited, I think that Criterion have had a good hash at it. Because of ProStreet wrecking the Need For Speed franchise, I think that the Burnout franchise hasn't been irreparably damaged, just made different. It's a completely different game to ProStreet, Forza 2 and PGR4, but I think that isn't necessarily the best in its genre.

I've played the demo of all of these games, and played the full version of Paradise, and I think that Paradise is the most fun, but PGR4 is the best.

The gameplay of Burnout Paradise has created a new subgenre for itself which it utilises brilliantly. That's on multiplayer; as when you come to single player, the game seems to become fairly pointless as there isn't a storyline or plot in it at all.

The fact that there is NO storyline makes, in my opinion, a good game in esscence, not so.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2008 8:50 AM GMT