Profile for Callum Abbott > Reviews

Content by Callum Abbott

Callum Abbott (Baldock, Herts)

USB Video capture with Audio for Mac + DVD/VCD Maker from video source: VHS, V8, Hi8 for laptop/PC,video recorder, camcorder, DVD player or Satellite TV receiver (Includes Arcsoft Video Impression 2, NTSC and PAL Compatible, supports Apple Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Hardware, Poor Software, 17 July 2009
After upgrading to a Macbook Pro, I thought I would do the family a favour by transferring all our old vhs videos to digital files and then DVDs. This set of wires is basically the only Mac-friendly USB capture kit you can buy and therefore I gave it a go.

I have no complaints about the hardware, working well from video recorder to Mac, however the software included in the package has given me a multitude of problems. I gave myself quite a task in the first place of transferring about 13 hours worth of footage but overall I have easily spent double that time.

The thing operates by converting the video live and therefore if you have an hour video, it will take an hour to convert etc. As you can imagine this is quite a pain but unfortunately the software doesn't make it any easier, rather it stops transferring the video half way through. So when I wait for 3 hours thinking there will be 3 hours of video recorded, to find only an hour has been converted can be incredibly frustrating. There doesn't seem to be a lot you can do about this either.

The two software programs are very primitive which doesn't help and the file on disc recording to mp4 can be very large indeed. 1 hour on my computer has taken up approximately 1GB on the medium frame setting (you can choose the size of frame for use on iPods etc.), so a considerable amount of space has been taken up by these videos.

That said, even though 40 does seem a lot for a cable if you had your videos transferred to DVD by a company and you have quite a number of VHS videos it would cost a lot more. This way you can edit them using the included software or I expect iMovie will be a hundred times better.

If considering this, just remember it will be a big, big hassle for you, and leave a lot of time to convert!

Aardman Classics [DVD]
Aardman Classics [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nick Park
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 5 July 2009
This review is from: Aardman Classics [DVD] (DVD)
I am quite astounded by the number of poor reviews as this is a magnificent collection of films. A uniquely British animation studios made famous for Wallace and Gromit, Aardman show us here their incredible talent for film-making.

Of course I am biased, growing up with Wallace and Gromit, however I can't understand why anyone of any age wouldn't enjoy this DVD. As a big animation fan these early films show so much about early stop-motion through sometimes crude shorts yet the creativity and comedy throughout is second to none.

The DVD is not just plastescene as one might assume, but includes a number of weird and wonderful CGI animations created when the platform was little known. In fact one of the funniest short films for me is 'Humdrum' a computer-animated story about two shadows who, due to boredom end up playing a game of shadow puppets. Every time I see it I cannot help but howl with laughter.

Aardman Classics is a collection of British films of great character, sublime animation and will leave you chuckling for a long time after watching. This is one of my most treasured DVDs, a must for animation lovers.

Strawberry Jam
Strawberry Jam
Price: 9.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Another ingenius splash of colour, 29 Jun 2008
This review is from: Strawberry Jam (Audio CD)
I saw Animal Collective in Summer 2007, after falling in love with such an original and mesmerising sound and was blown away by their live performance. Little did I know that what we heard that evening was to become Strawberry Jam a few months later, and what an exciting arrangement of music it is. Throwing noises and rhythmic sounds with a subtle electronic upbeat style AC have done it again, creating in my opinion one of the best albums of last year.
You just have to hear the opening of Peacebone to understand what I mean. Overall a completely otherworldly sensual experience with the highlights of Reverend Green, Fireworks and of course the magnificent Peacebone. If you enjoy the wave of new experimental audio or are looking for something completely different, ceck out Animal Collective and Strawberry Jam.