Profile for Martin Fierro > Reviews

Content by Martin Fierro

Martin Fierro "Martin" (Europe)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Tribe: Adventures in a Changing World
Tribe: Adventures in a Changing World
by Bruce Parry

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 8 May 2014
I love watching BP's TV adventures, he has an ability to relate to all forms of cultures, whether in the Amazon or in the heart of Africa. This book keeps the narrative and gives you an insight into the different tribes that Bruce has managed to visit.

Gum Gum Eez-Thru Floss Threaders, 25 each
Gum Gum Eez-Thru Floss Threaders, 25 each
Offered by OTCFORYOU
Price: 1.95

5.0 out of 5 stars PRACTICAL, 8 May 2014
Whether you have crowns or bridges (unfortunately I have both) this is ideal to reach the space between them and your gums. You simply thread about a 30 cm long floss through its ring and then insert it through the gap between bridge or crown and gums.
It keeps gums healthy and cleans those hard to reach places. A good purchase. The package is easy to carry on your travels.

New Men's Cotton Invisible Liner Socks Available in 3 Colours UK6-11 EUR 40-50 (RAF Blue)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for your feet, 28 April 2014
It's a good way to wear deck shoes and loafers in the summer with either shorts or chinos.
It would both protect your feet from the roughness caused by wearing shoes without socks and keep your feet dry in hot Summer days.
Cheap and postage free so a good buy.

My Fair Lady [blu-ray]
My Fair Lady [blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Brett
Offered by MEGA Media FBA
Price: 14.52

5.0 out of 5 stars NEVER MIND THE COVER, 28 April 2014
This review is from: My Fair Lady [blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have been a fan of My Fair Lady since I first saw the film in the 1960's. I have owned it in VHS and in an American import DVD that was made to celebrate its 50th anniversary.
I just bought the Blu ray edition with DTS 7.1 sound and HD.
The cover of the disc is written in Italian but that doesn't matter as the set up allows you to play the language of your choice. I'm not sure why Amazon UK sells this disc with the cover in Italian but as I am Italian speaker it does not matter to me, I suppose it ought to be made clear in the description though.
You can of course see that the cover is in Italian if you zoom it.
On to the disc: the sound has been polished and the colours of the flowers around Covent Garden flower market in the initial introduction show off beautifully as do the costumes.
I noticed that an American Blu ray import is also for sale at a slightly higher price and I wonder if anybody has seen the film on this disc and whether it is better than the European version.
Sometimes there is a difference.

Don Quixote: The Royal Ballet [Blu-ray] [2014]
Don Quixote: The Royal Ballet [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Cast and Orchestra of the Royal Opera House
Price: 28.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 14 April 2014
Having watched the production live from the ROH in my local cinema I wanted to have in Blu-ray form. Both principals are Latin and understand M de Cervantes Saavedra novel, a classical of Spanish literature. This production is energetic and both CA and MN dance their socks off. Acosta's own production of a true classical ballet makes me think that in the next few years he will become a choreographer to be recognised.
I loved the inclusion of famous scenes from other famous ballets to show off the technicality of the principal dancers.
Even the audience at the normally staid Tunbridge Wells cinema lost their inhibitions and clapped!

Dyson DC25 Multi Floor Lightweight Dyson Ball Upright Vacuum Cleaner for Every Floor Type
Offered by Smart Electricals Direct
Price: 239.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lighter than my previous Dyson, 11 April 2014
Had to replace my DC04 as by chance I discovered a spark when I switch it on in a darker room. Dyson told me that this wasn't normal. I have large carpet areas and smaller wooden floors so they recommended DC25 was the right replacement for the DC04 that I understand is no longer made but still sold.
It's good in that a double switch allows you to stop the rotating roller used for carpets when used to vacuum a hard floor.
As all Dysons there's a lot of snapping of plastic bits to get it to work, but it did and the results are good. Dysons themselves had a special offer and they gave a few accessories (said to cost 44.00) for free as well as free delivery so I didn't buy from Amazon. This model has two filters but is about a kilo lighter than the DC04.
The ball is helpful but not as dramatic and improvement as the ads tell you.

The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World
The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World
by Alan Greenspan

3.0 out of 5 stars He got it wrong, 10 April 2014
A well written book, however AG like other leaders of world financial institutions failed to predict the collapse of LB, this sent the world into financial melt down.
His theories are well presented but they did not work the way there were supposed to be.
This shows, with hindsight, how difficult it is to read the world economy.
Not sure lessons have been learned as we seem to be near another dot.com bubble with internet companies being hugely overvalued.

Dulce de Leche San Ignacio 450g
Dulce de Leche San Ignacio 450g

5.0 out of 5 stars DELIVERY COST TOO DEAR, 10 April 2014
I love this item but I found it in a shop at 3.57.
It's a no brainer that in this case had I bought it through Amazon I would have paid double. The only problem was to find a stockist near home, I found one and with a free bus ride I felt it was worth the trip.

Verdi: Requiem (Teatro Alla Scala Di Milano) [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Verdi: Requiem (Teatro Alla Scala Di Milano) [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Daniel Barenboim
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars AWE INSPIRIING, 18 Mar 2014
To get soloists of the calibre shown here in such a stage and under such a conductor as Barenboim was bound to be fantastic.
I was not disappointed, Pape and Kaufmann reach the highest and deepest tones with no effort, equally the ladies and the choir.
La Messa de Requiem is such a spectacular work that I though I ought to have it in Blu ray. The DTS sound of La Scalla is superb and does the wonderful acoustics of the space justice.
I lovely work to own.

White House Down [Blu-ray] [2013]
White House Down [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Channing Tatum
Price: 8.50

4.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL THRILLER, 11 Feb 2014
At the beginning of the film I thought the CGI scene of the Capitol up in flames looked rather too faked.
However as the plot gathers pace I thought the film came into its own.
The American President was black and some terrorists gained access to the complex protocols and computer gadgetry of the American government.
The scenes inside the White House look real and there is plenty of interaction between the goodies and the baddies.
Presidents come and go as they get killed but our hero ( J Foxx) manages to survive with the help of the other hero (C Tatum). I particularly liked the performance of his daughter, a little brat at the beginning of the film but gradually getting into the action.
Good escapism with a twist at the very end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7