Profile for Darren M. Gomes > Reviews

Content by Darren M. Gomes

Darren M. Gomes (Croydon, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Etekcity Mini AV Composite Video/Audio RCA CVSB to HDMI Converter: Supports HDTV, High-definition 720p, 1080p, VHS, VCR, DVD and many more devices

5.0 out of 5 stars HDMI from the Yellow, Red and White., 23 Jan. 2015
This is a brilliant piece of tech, that actually works. I had bought one of the Mini AV2HDMI units (the little white ones) from another online retailer, only it partially worked, the video went through, but there was no sound. I bought this one, after I got no joy from the seller of the other one over a replacement/refund. This one, which was only a few £s more than the other one, works perfectly. I get a great video and audio signal through HDMI from both my Nintendo N64 and GameCube, which was what I needed it for. This one is worth the money and the little bit extra compared to the Mini AV2HDMI units.

Mini Handheld 160X - 200X Zoom LED Lighted Pocket Microscope Loupe Magnifying
Mini Handheld 160X - 200X Zoom LED Lighted Pocket Microscope Loupe Magnifying
Offered by FamilyMall (8-23 shipping days)

4.0 out of 5 stars Tiny device for looking at tiny things., 29 Dec. 2013
High magnification for such a small device, it does work, though focussing is a little fiddly. Only downside is because there's not eye cup, there is a danger of poking your eye out trying to look through the eye piece!

Denon AHC260 In-Ear Headphones - Black
Denon AHC260 In-Ear Headphones - Black
Offered by SmartSalesUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Bass, how low can't they go?, 27 Jun. 2013
Just got my pair today, been trying them out with different music genres on my iPod. The silicone ear cups could do with being thicker, they're a bit too thin to fit snugly. I might just use the ones from the Jays a-Jays One which the Denon's replaced. The key thing to note is that they are made by Denon, so don't expect deep bass. Having said that, as they are Denon, they appear to be perfect for Jazz, Folk, some Rock and Prog Rock. I probably need to run them in properly before I really judge them, but even straight out of the box, they do sound very good. But bass heavy musical genres do sound a bit a on the tinny side. That will most likely change after a few hours use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely frustrating, 26 Jun. 2013
I didn't buy my Kindle Fire HD from Amazon, I got mine from my local Tesco superstore. First off, it's great on first impressions, but then you find all the flaws. First one I found was when I tried to watch the digital versions of the films that came with the films I'd bought on Blu-Ray. They wouldn't play, not the downloads or from the Flixster or UltraViolet websites where I could stream them from. I kept getting the same icon come up, I needed to install Adobe Flash. I tried to do that, but it's not helped that Adobe abandoned Flash for Android ages ago, none of their archive versions will work on the Kindle Fire HD. It affects a whole heap more than the films I can't watch. I can't watch videos on YouTube, I can't watch videos embedded on other sites, I can't play the Flash based games on Facebook or any other site, yet I can get access to and play games on King.com, AT A PRICE. After searching online, found that the only way to get around this is to side-load an old version of the Dolphin browser and then install one of the old versions of Flash. It didn't work. Searching through the apps store, I did find Adobe Flash there FOR SALE. I have no intention of paying for an essential driver that would otherwise be free. THIS TABLET IS NOTHING BUT A CON. I'm fed up with the adverts that come up when I turn the thing on. I wasn't aware that I'd have to pay more to buy one of these damn things to not have ads. WHY THE HELL CAN'T YOU SELL THE THINGS AT ONE PRICE WITHOUT THE BLOODY ADVERTS???? I'm fed up with the Silk browser, everytime I try to scroll down a page, either with my finger or a stylus, a link gets activated and I'm taken away from the page I was on. Then, when I hit the back arrow, I'm back at the top of the page and again, when I try scrolling down, it happens again. Not to mention the page constantly switching between normal view and zoomed in. Right now, I've got mine on charge, it's been plugged in for 24 hours and it's only 75% charged. The only pro about it is it's a great MP3 player.
DO NOT BUY, OTHER BUDGET TABLETS ARE AVAILABLE AND FROM RECOGNISABLE PC MANUFACTURERS.

Addendum;
So my rant got Amazon's attention and they've tried phoning me, only I was at work and not able to answer my phone. They did leave a couple of voicemail messages and an e-mail, plus, miraculously, Flixster now works, so I can watch the digital copies of my Blu-Ray films both streamed and downloaded. By the way, VLC won't play the downloaded versions of those films, though they are MP4 files. But TVCatchup.com still won't work without Flash and YouTube's working, sort of. But now the screen's not responding too well, either with finger or stylus. In spite of using a stylus, the screen either won't respond or it behaves as though I'm using a club and it's still switching between full page view and zoomed in when scrolling down a page, as well as suddenly going to a link that wasn't even clicked on while trying to look through the apps store pages. I'm no technophobe, I've used Macs, PCs, PDAs and even home computers back in the 80s, but this tablet is the most frustrating piece of technology to use.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2013 3:28 AM BST

Hard Crystal Clear Case for iPod Classic 80/120GB/160GB
Hard Crystal Clear Case for iPod Classic 80/120GB/160GB
Offered by Digibuys

3.0 out of 5 stars DJ scratching..., 4 April 2013
For the price it's an absolute bargain, there are a few sharp edges to it, but it fits an iPod Classic 80gb pretty snugly. I only got my case yesterday and used it on my iPod just today, one single day. When I'm out and about, I hold my iPod in my hand, with my Oyster card wallet over it. Keeping them in hand, means I'm not fumbling around trying to find them when I need them and prevents earphone cord from snagging on things. But at the end of the day, when I checked over my iPod, I was extremely disappointed to find that the case, which had a perfectly clear and smooth finish when I fitted it on my iPod, was as badly scratched up as the case I'd replaced (which had broken in a fall, hence the need to replace), only that one had seen several years use. But like I said, for the price it is an absolute bargain, but in my case, it'll just protect my iPod until I can get a higher quality, light scratch proof, case.

Casio DBC-32-1AES Auto Illuminator Databank Watch
Casio DBC-32-1AES Auto Illuminator Databank Watch
Offered by TONEWATCH S.A.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a very illuminating Illuminator., 10 July 2012
Just received my watch, which I bought to replace my 22 year old DBC-62. I really like it, the design and the larger display. Only a couple of disappointments though, had assumed it could display world times, like my DBC-62 and found the 'Illuminator' description a bit misleading. I had assumed by 'Illuminator', that the entire display would light up in blue to be seen in the dark, like other Casio watches and Timex ones. But the 'Iluminator' is just a slightly more powerful old school mini light fixed in one corner of the display, so the entire display is not illuminated that well. That's what my old DBC-62 had and that light pretty much died after a couple of years and didn't light up the display that well in the dark anyway. Looks like I'll have to keep my keyring mini torch with me, just in case, afterall.

Dr Who Exclusive - Classic 7th Doctor & Tardis
Dr Who Exclusive - Classic 7th Doctor & Tardis
Offered by KIARENZAFD

3.0 out of 5 stars It's the wrong TARDIS!!!, 21 April 2012
I just got this set, at first I was impressed. But then once I got it out of the box, something didn't look right about that TARDIS. For starters, they've put that damn wood grain effect on it, when London Police Boxes were made from pre-cast concrete, something the original series always maintained, yet the new series can't be bothered to research. Secondly, the lamp only has 3 supports around it, not 4, plus the lamp base is too high. Then it dawned on me, it's not the 1980's TARDIS designed by Tom Yardley-Jones, it's the TV Movie one designed by Richard Hudolin, but moulded in china blue, not midnight blue. So much for accuracy claims!
About the interior, I've not got a problem about there not being a view of the console room, as the original series never had an interior view through the door from outside, just blackness. But they could have put black panels inside, rather than just have the bare blue plastic. Another minor gripe, they made it with electronic effects, yet they couldn't be bothered to put in the 'flight control' effect of the new series TARDIS, so it does feel like you've been cheated a little.

Odys SLIM TV 7 Novel Portable TV
Odys SLIM TV 7 Novel Portable TV

5.0 out of 5 stars Odys' Novel TV, 17 Jan. 2012
Just received my Novel today, I'm impressed. The default language for the unit is German, but even so, it proved reasonably simple to change to English and get set up. I bought it to use in the kitchen, rather than as a take anywhere with me TV, though I did buy it to replace a very old pocket telly. The sound apparently does drain the battery when it's loud, as I read on another review. I did buy a cheap 2.1 speaker set up to use with it, but found when I connected it up to the audio output socket, the output wasn't very loud, so had to use the headphone socket instead, which produced a better output for the speakers, as well as cutting out the TV's speakers too.

Canon Canoscan 9000f Film / Photo And Document Scanner (9600x9600dpi, 48 Bit Colour Depth)
Offered by Ballicom International

3.0 out of 5 stars The jury's still out on this one...., 9 Jan. 2011
Bought this scanner recently, I was going to buy the Epson V500, but the price went up significantly, plus the Canoscan 9000F got half a star more in the average ratings. I've only scanned medium format slides so far. Generally it's a great scanner, but have found that my slide scans are very soft, which is disappointing. Also found the Silverfast software doesn't seem to work for film scanning, so have used the supplied Canon scanning software. Am considering buying the Vuescan software to see if that makes any difference with film scans. Also need to find out if the soft scans are a result of the FARE correction system. I've only used Digital ICE before, with my Nikon film scanner for 35mm.
I won't return it, as I'm pretty sure for document/photo scans, the results are great, but for 120 film scans, the scans are good for web use, but to print out for my portfolio, there's just very little detail from sharp focussed shots, even when scanned at 3200 ppi.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2012 6:57 PM GMT

XO Digital Optical Toslink Cable 2m / 2 Metre Premium Install Series - suitable for PS3, PS4, XBOX One, Sky HD, LCD, LED, Plasma, Blu-ray, Home Cinema Systems, AV Amps
Offered by HDCentral

5.0 out of 5 stars Fibre optic that does the job., 10 July 2010
As they've proved on The Gadget Show, cheap digital interconnects do the job just as well as the most expensive ones, as long as the digital signal gets through from one component to the other, it works. This cable does just that, so proves to be great value for money.

Page: 1 | 2