Profile for Sofakat > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
UK NewsPapers
UK NewsPapers

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 27 April 2014
This review is from: UK NewsPapers (App)
The same as everyone else says. It just does not work. Never got going, impossible to use, a complete waste of time. Cannot recommend at all.

Full Facebook Pro
Full Facebook Pro

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of time, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Full Facebook Pro (App)
Really messed up my Kindle. Never worked properly, slowed down operation of Kindle and caused endless problems. Utterly useless! Avoid.

Take Me Home (Glen Avich)
Take Me Home (Glen Avich)

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching and beautifully written, 27 April 2014
Written with tenderness, wit, pure storytelling talent and gentle humour. A lovely book, a wonderful tale and an author with a deep sense of people, places and the complexity of life. Writes like a dream and her characters are real. You can see them and hear them on the page. A joy.

Fractured
Fractured

2.0 out of 5 stars Let down by very poor writing, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Fractured (Kindle Edition)
The idea for the book is good. It's an interesting story. Unfortunately it is so badly written it just set my teeth on edge. The writing is so basic and so 'teenage essay' I found I had to force myself to carry on reading. In the end I gave up.

DK Eyewitness Pocket Map and Guide: Prague
DK Eyewitness Pocket Map and Guide: Prague
by Collectif

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy, clever and useful, 23 Sept. 2013
Clever size, lovely illustrations, great map and intelligent writing. Love the way it is divided up into sections of the city so you can go straight to the area you want. Terrific series.

City Breaks - Tour 4 - 2 Days In Prague
City Breaks - Tour 4 - 2 Days In Prague

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, 23 Sept. 2013
It's dull to be honest. if you want someone to tell you where to walk and what to see, with no real input from you, it's fine. It scratches the surface, it's a dull read and I cannot recommend it. Buy a nice guidebook instead

Offline Map Prague, Czech Republic - CNM
Offline Map Prague, Czech Republic - CNM

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking map - but nothing else, 23 Sept. 2013
Good luck trying to work out how to use this map. Talk about NOT user friendly :-( When you first see the map you think, 'oh hey, that looks good'. The trouble starts when you try to find your first address. It's a hotel and it's in a well known district. Can you find it? Hell no. This is the kind of app you almost need to try and outwit because there is no logic to it. You put in a street name and it asks you, 'which city?'. Erm, the map IS of the town. So you add the city and you get.......nothing.

Obvious thing to do - go to the company who made it and see if there is something you can download to show you how to use it? Nah, nothing. So you email them and ask. Logical move, right?

Guess what. No reply. I wish I hadn't bothered. I plan to go and find something better because this is a waste of time and money!

Trouble in Paradise: A Rachel Knight story
Trouble in Paradise: A Rachel Knight story

2.0 out of 5 stars Made for Kindle short stories are like a Chinese Takeaway, 24 Aug. 2013
I love this writer, but I do not love these made-for-Kindle short stories. What a rip off! I'm not buying any more.

Thursday Night Widows
Thursday Night Widows
by Claudia Pineiro

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit tedious, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Thursday Night Widows (Paperback)
Sorry, couldn't even get through this. I don't think it's a bad translation, but the it moves so slowly and the story is so fragmented I just lost interest.

Twelve Minutes of Love: A Tango Story
Twelve Minutes of Love: A Tango Story
by Kapka Kassabova

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, honest, funny and touching, 4 Nov. 2011
For those of us who found and fell in love with tango the journey was/is never easy. You think it's just a dance, but it's not. You make all kinds of assumptions, expect everything to fall into place and fit you, but it doesn't. All teachers must be good. No, they're not. some are charlatans, other mad egotists! Even those of us who are ex dancers, who learn quickly and can adapt, find tango frustrating, elusive, complex and at times irritating beyond endurance.

And then there are the tango people - the very good, the bad and the plain mad. I read this because I was hoping that some of what I experienced whilst learning tango was not my imagination running riot. I wanted someone else to tell me her story. Was I seeing things? Did every woman feel like this?

If you love tango, read this book. Kapka Kassabova is a wonderful writer - direct, honest, funny, beguiling and very observant. She writes beautifully. Her descriptions of milongas are fascinating: you will recognise some of the characters with a sigh - or maybe a groan. Women will read and think 'oh, I know that man. It's not just me then' and feel vindicated. You will recognise what we all do when we find the perfect leader, that elusive connection that just simply works, even though it comes such unlikely partners, and often when we least expect it.

I loved her descriptions of Buenos Aires, Marseilles, Paris and Berlin - all the places I have ever wanted to dance. I don't want to recap the story or tell you about the journey. Discover it for yourself. I just want to say, read this book and you'll see why I am recommending it so highly, as another tango addict but also another writer. And God knows we're fussy about what we read!

This book is wonderful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2011 10:06 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2