Profile for JB Macinnes > Reviews

Bridge Over the Atlantic
Bridge Over the Atlantic
by Lisa J. Hobman
Price: 6.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Clearly a self-published effort and a poorly written one at that., 14 April 2013
I've reviewed this book before and gave it one star though mysteriously my review has been erased: bad show on the part of the author to cheat in such a way. So here I go again and let's see if the author is big effort to take criticism. It is clearly needed as this story is turgid. I never believe it when all there are in a review of a book are the 5 star reviews: even proper, published authors do not expect the top score each time. Sorry but this is very poor. The plot (if it can be called that) is weak, the characters are so predictable that I'd expect better from an 10 yo in a school essay but it's self-published afterall with friends/colleagues trying to ramp up sales with five stars reviews. Amazon have been made aware of the removal of my earlier review. Comment Comment | Permalink
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2013 11:16 AM BST

A Heart Not Easily Broken (The Butterfly Memoirs)
A Heart Not Easily Broken (The Butterfly Memoirs)
Price: 3.05

1.0 out of 5 stars This is too purile to be true, 14 Jan 2013
Sorry but this is very poor. The plot (if it can be called that) is weak, the characters are so predictable that I'd expect better from an 11 yo in a school essay but I'm guessing it's self-published with friends/colleagues trying to ramp up with five stars.

She Belongs To Me (Southern Suspense Series Book 1)
She Belongs To Me (Southern Suspense Series Book 1)
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too formulaic, 14 Jan 2013
This is too amateurish to be true. Hackneyed use of dialogue and all too predictable. I wouldn't read another (if indeed there are any more) from this author.

Standing in Another Man's Grave: A John Rebus Novel
Standing in Another Man's Grave: A John Rebus Novel
Price: 3.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Too convenient an ending in all honesty, 14 Jan 2013
I hadn't read any of the author's work before and I was therefore quite eager to see what all the fuss was about, especially having watched the TV interview about the making/writing of the book. It's well written for sure; perhaps not everyone's favourite style but it grips the reader. However, having watched the TV prog and the author's admission that thirty pages from the end he still wasn't sure where the plot was going and how he would reach an ending I too was eager to see what happened at that juncture.....sad to say the ending was all too contrived and convenient to meet the needs of the title. I guess I'd summarise by saying I was disappointed: I will read more by this author but I'm not totally sold yet.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2013 8:57 AM GMT