Profile for R. A. Angel > Reviews

Perfect Projects (New World): 1
Perfect Projects (New World): 1
by Eddie Obeng

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and usable, 22 Nov 2013
This book is so much more than your standard "project management" guide. The way that Eddie is able to add a depth of insight on how to approach each project in context is so useful and really explained to me why so many of the projects I have been involved in just "felt wrong" in how they were set up. Now I know why.

The only negative comment is that it could do with a more polished publisher / edition as the presentation almost takes away from the quality of the thinking.

The Road Between Us
The Road Between Us

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping and thought provoking novel, 10 Oct 2013
Having really enjoyed the Blasphemer I was worried that using a similar, time shifted format, with a different war, for the Road Between Us would be a bit too samey. However, I was won over to the Road between us from the opening scene in the Piccadilly hotel by the quality of the writing and the intricacies of the plot.

What I enjoy most about Farndale's books is that you always seem to get a great mix of three things. Writing good enough to make you appreciate good writing. New twists in looking at relationships, in this case how to cope with rebuilding a relationship with a daughter in a uniquely different scenario, and a middle aged jealous male best friend. And you get to learn something new about a period or place in history.

Thoroughly recommend this as a good read

The Blasphemer
The Blasphemer
by Nigel Farndale

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 13 May 2010
This review is from: The Blasphemer (Hardcover)
A thoroughly enjoyable book which achieved three things for me. Drew me in to a gripping story which I wanted to know the conclusion of. Made me think about the human condition especially the horror of war and what does courage mean for men in the 21st century. Got me intrigued enough to go and find out more about some of the threads raised in the story. That is three big ticks in my book.

The author comes across as clever, educated and gentle and I look forward to finding out what is next from him.

A real achievement and a book I will recomend to everyone, from teenagers to grandparents.

Teaching Smart People How to Learn (Harvard Business Review Classics)
Teaching Smart People How to Learn (Harvard Business Review Classics)
by Chris Argyris

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite do what it says on the tin, 25 Aug 2009
A pretty good intro to Chris Argyris' views on Theories in Use but very light on what you actually need to do to help Smart People learn better. I agree with the diagnosis, I was just looking for more of the cure!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2011 9:33 AM BST

All Will be Well
All Will be Well
by Michael Meegan

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 25 Aug 2009
This review is from: All Will be Well (Paperback)
Each year when I go on holiday I reread this treasure of a book that speaks to all of us about the extremes of good and bad that we find in the world. It not only manages to tell a story about Africa and the poverty there, which some how even in our media saturated world is not often told this well or listened to, but also gives a sense of hope and possibility for us all as individuals and as a global society.

Thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants to be inspired in what is possible and in what needs to be done. Part of its brilliance is that succeeds n neither being preachy or new age, just very human. The descriptions in it of being there for people who are dying in unimaginable pain and squalor are enough to make anyone think hard about what we would do in those situations.

I would love more in it about what he feels needs to be done to make things really better as I am sure he has some great insights to share.

I look forward to reading it again next summer.

Time to Think
Time to Think
by Mark Barnes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of tools and techniques, 10 Sep 2007
This review is from: Time to Think (Paperback)
This book brings together a set of effective and usable ideas which worked for me. In particular I found the tools around goals and organising yourself real winners, which, when you use them, make life easier and less stressful, as well as more successful. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking to learn how to manage themselves better and wants to start with something practical as opposed to theoretical!