Profile for Meg0207 > Reviews

Content by Meg0207

Meg0207

Brain over Binge:  Why I Was Bulimic, Why Conventional Therapy Didn't Work, and How I Recovered for Good
Brain over Binge: Why I Was Bulimic, Why Conventional Therapy Didn't Work, and How I Recovered for Good

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved my life., 28 May 2014
I cannot put into words the positive impact this book has had on my life but I will try!

I first discovered this book quite by chance and thought it was worth a try from the positive reviews, so I hope you'll read mine and give it a try too!
As soon as I started reading this book, I realised I could relate to every single thing Kathryn says. She capture the hell of bulimia/ BED with such raw accuracy, I knew straight away that I could relate to her.

I had spent far too long trying to blame my disordered eating on all of the negative things in my life, both now and in the past, and in doing so I had unknowingly shifted the responsibility from myself. Everything was an excuse to binge and I felt consumed by it. I hated myself but at the same time resigned myself to thinking I could never get better. What this book has given me more than anything is the full confidence that I AM in control.

Kathryn will give you the knowledge and teach you the skills, then it's up to you. It's easy to have confidence because Kathryn explains why we binge and how to stop it so clearly, in addition to exploring what led you to where you are today and how that's irrelevant to your future.

At almost 18 I had been stuck between restrictive eating/ bulimia/ BED for almost 2 years. I should have been bright eyed about my future but I was too weighed down by my destructive eating that I couldn't even look up.

The first time I read the book, it hit home and I understood every word. But in my excitement I brushed over key practical advice, and in all honesty I don't think I was ready to let go of disordered eating. BUT I was drawn back to the book after a couple of months. I was sure this was the answer and I just needed to focus more attention on it.

I have now been binge free for over four weeks - something that would have seemed impossible not long ago. I can confidently say that I will never ever binge again. That magnetic pull to binge has vanished because I now "know my enemy" as it were, thanks to Kathryn, which makes things much less scary!

My advice: Take time to read the book and when you're done, read it again! Highlight it, think about it, I even made voice recordings of some of the key messages to play to myself. But do this, and believe in Brain over Binge, and I can promise you you will be free to live your life, free from daily hell, and free to move on.

OCR GCSE Modern World History Revision Guide
OCR GCSE Modern World History Revision Guide
by Ben Walsh

2.0 out of 5 stars KEY FACTS WRONG!, 8 Jun 2012
I ordered this book because I already owned a Ben Walsh textbook which I found extremely useful for the international relationships side of the GCSE course. At first glance this revision guide looked promising, with lots of condensed information. However, having 2 other textbooks on the USA topic, I found that the information was conflicting. Several facts in this revision guide differ from those in the other 2 textbooks, and when I checked online the other 2 textbooks were right, NOT the revision guide.
For example, this revision guide states that the Brown v Topeka Board of Education case was in 1952 - when it was actually 1951. An obvious mistake.
Other dates / statistics were conflicting too. Not at all helpful when you're a stressed GCSE student trying to remember all the different facts, and then finding out that some are wrong.
In the end, I barely used this revision guide as I couldn't trust it's accuracy. It confused me by giving me false information.