Profile for Hectordog > Reviews

The Guardians
The Guardians
by Andrew Pyper

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me!, 8 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Guardians (Paperback)
I have read this book and found it quite boring - all the way through you are waiting for something to happen but it never does. The writing is very disjointed and doesn't flow I found it very hardgoing. Others probably may like it but it certainly was not for me and as far as being a "horror story" I would say it has been mistakenly described.

Pure
Pure
by Andrew Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure - A fantastic Read, 8 Mar 2012
This review is from: Pure (Paperback)
I am well over half way through this book now and I cannot put it down - it is a fantastic read. Describes pre-revolutionary Paris in such detail, and the character descriptions are so visual you would alsmost recognise the people if you saw them. Also the atmosphere of the area surrounding Les Innocents is almost palpable - the whole book is so brilliantly written, no wonder it received the Costa Book of the Year 2011, it certainly deserved it!

Civil War Ghosts (Civil War Series)
Civil War Ghosts (Civil War Series)
by Martin Greenberg

3.0 out of 5 stars Civil War Ghost Stories, 16 Feb 2012
Quite a good read - most of the stories came from the period shortly after the Civil War up until say 1911 and written in the style of the times. However, stories quite good, I particularly liked the final one.

Oxford Mini School Thesaurus (2007 Edition)
Oxford Mini School Thesaurus (2007 Edition)
by Robert Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Thesaurus, 31 Jan 2012
Excellent little book, bought it for my grandson aged 11 - provides very good alternatives to words and also states whether the word is a noun or verb etc. etc. I am sure it will be a really useful item.

Roman Passions: A History of Pleasure in Imperial Rome
Roman Passions: A History of Pleasure in Imperial Rome
by Ray Laurence

5.0 out of 5 stars Roman Passions, 18 Jan 2012
Brilliant, Ray Lawrence at his best - gave a true picture of what life was like for rich and pooor alike and the sexual exploitation of slaves and the intimate lifes of just ordinary people in the Roman world. Extremely readable, quite funny at times but also quite sad at times too.

Haunted London Underground
Haunted London Underground
by David Brandon

2.0 out of 5 stars Haunted Underground, 18 Jan 2012
When I saw this I thought it would be a good read but unfortunately it was quite superficial and boring. Not much new that I didn't already know - thought there might be more detail in it but unfortunately not

Traveller's Guide to the Ancient World: Rome: Everything You Need to Know to Do as the Romans Do (Traveller's Guide to the Ancient World): Everything ... Do (Traveller's Guide to the Ancient World)
by Ray Laurence

4.0 out of 5 stars TRavellers Guide to Ancient Rome, 10 Jan 2012
Really enjoyed this book it was great fun to read and very informative. Would recommend to anyone who is about to visit Rome or any other Roman site as it does give an insight into a way of life we can only imagine.

Spirits Out of Time: True Family Ghost Stories and Weird Paranormal Experiences
Spirits Out of Time: True Family Ghost Stories and Weird Paranormal Experiences
by Annie Wilder

1.0 out of 5 stars Spirits out of time, 10 Jan 2012
Not at all my cup of tea. Thought it might be a good read, but it is so American (need I say more) in style - in fact iI fund it quite irritating at times.

The Carthaginians (Peoples of the Ancient World)
The Carthaginians (Peoples of the Ancient World)
by Dexter Hoyos

4.0 out of 5 stars The Carthaginians, 10 Jan 2012
Having just visited Carthage in Tunisia, I found this book to be very informative about the history of the Carthaginian people and their culture. I wish I had bought it before I visited there.

Phyto Organics Luxxtress Leave In Hair Moisturizer 295 ml or 10.1oz
Phyto Organics Luxxtress Leave In Hair Moisturizer 295 ml or 10.1oz

5.0 out of 5 stars Phyto Organics Leave-in Conditioner, 10 Jan 2012
I've been using this for about 8 years and find it a brilliant product. A very light leave-in conditioner that leaves hair manageable and gets rid of tangles without being heavy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5