Profile for JustAnotherTimeLord > Reviews

Power Rangers Super Samurai: Volume 2 - Rise Of The Bullzooka [DVD]
Power Rangers Super Samurai: Volume 2 - Rise Of The Bullzooka [DVD]
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Rise of the Bullzooka, 6 Jun 2014
I was thinking for a while whether or not to do a review for this release because I feel I have run out of things to say about these (Super) Samurai releases, but since there appears to be only one more volume after these, I thought I might as well finish them. The second volume contains the episodes 'Runaway Spike' through to 'Stroke of Fate' with the best episodes easily being 'The Strange Case of the Munchies for being so darn entertaining and the 'A Crack in the World/Stoke of Fate' two-parter for having decent fights and satisfyingly finish the arc of the best villain of the Samurai series. The box art is nice, even though the images on the back are all from episodes not even on this release (strange, considering they've managed to get stuff like this right before) and for once I wish we could have very ranger on the front cover. The next volume looks like the last. My two wishes are that it includes the 'Trickster Treat' and 'Stuck on Christmas' specials and for them to start releasing Megaforce Volumes as soon as possible.

Power Rangers Super Samurai: Volume 1 - The Super-Powered Black Box [DVD]
Power Rangers Super Samurai: Volume 1 - The Super-Powered Black Box [DVD]
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Samurai!, 21 Feb 2014
At last we have arrived at the second half of Samurai, and the half I was looking forward to owning the most. In light of the recent 'Megaforce' half of the 20th anniversary, which so far has been a disappointment, full of episodes that rely too much on Sentai footage, rushed stories and no character development, the whole Samurai era has really grown on me. Despite the cheesy lines and mostly translations, I'm really quite fond of the characters here, as well as the powers. On this release are no special features, just the first 8 episodes of Super Samurai, 'Super Samurai' through to 'Kevin's Choice'. My personal favourite episodes on this release are 'Super Samurai' which is a great first episode, 'The Bullzord' which is the first appearance of Shogun mode and is a fun chase episode and 'He's Not Heavy Metal, He's My Brother' is a charming episode that contains a real sweet song at the end. I would also just like to mention how much I love the box art, despite the strange omission of the yellow ranger.

Power Rangers Samurai: Christmas Together, Friends Forever [DVD]
Power Rangers Samurai: Christmas Together, Friends Forever [DVD]
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Collection, but..., 29 Oct 2013
This release is strange to me because despite releasing 'Christmas Together, Friends Forever' on the last volume, they decided to release it again on this, meaning I now own the episode twice. If they had left it off of volume 4 and just released it here then that would have been more of an incentive for me to buy it, considering I too already own 'I'm Dreaming of a White Ranger' on VHS, so really I only bought this just so I could own the Zeo episode. Even then, I don't know why I care so much considering all of these Christmas specials are bad episodes, containing no morphed footage or action (flashbacks not included). To make this release better they should have dropped the Samurai dominance from the cover and have it more as a general collection and included 'Alpha's Magical Christmas' (despite it being the worst episode of all time) and 'Stuck on Christmas' from Super Samurai. Then it would have been more of a complete Christmas collection.

Power Rangers Samurai - Volume 4 - The Ultimate Duel [DVD]
Power Rangers Samurai - Volume 4 - The Ultimate Duel [DVD]
Price: 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Samurai Forever, 12 Aug 2013
This looks to be the final volume of Samurai except for the release at the end of October which I will get on to in a minute. This volume contains the last 3 episodes 'Boxed In', 'Broken Dreams' and 'The Ultimate Duel', as well as the Halloween special 'Party Monsters' and the Christmas special 'Christmas Together, Friends Forever'. The inclusion of the Christmas special surprised me as Channel 5 never aired it and the release at the end of October is titled with the name of the episode, so if that episode is already on here then what could possibly be on there? I guess we'll find out.

The last 3 episodes are decent and possibly Samurai's best, finally revealing the dark back story of Dayu and Decker and also, for now, finishing the arc of Deker's desire to duel Jayden. The Halloween special is so bizarre, yet it makes perfect sense. Funnily enough the puns make me chuckle rather than irritate me in that episode. The Christmas special is cheesy in very sense of the word, but this is Power Rangers so you'd expect that. Still, at least it's better than the horrific 'Alpha's Magical Christmas' from the Mighty Morphin' days.

There are no special features, but (and this really surprised me) there is a free pack of trading cards (the European ones) which I believe are the final ones for now. Like I said in my last review, I hope they release Super Samurai on Dvd, but I expect they might jump straight to Megaforce early next year, but I'm just guessing.

Doctor Who -  The Complete Series 7 [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Complete Series 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith
Price: 16.20

5.0 out of 5 stars "My ship, my rules!", 11 Aug 2013
I can't believe it's been nearly 2 years since I wrote my review for the sixth of the revived series, and it makes it feel like we've lost out on a series in a sense, but learning recently that Matt only intended to do 3 series, I think splitting this series the way it was, was a way of having him being the current Doctor for the 50th. Regardless of my rambling, what we have here it yet another great series of adventures, which now include The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe (I have to say I'm glad I didn't immediately buy that separately when I heard they weren't originally including it on this boxset). Anyway, I'm going to give my opinion on every episode and talk about the special features at the end.

The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - There isn't much to say about this one. I mean, it well acted and visually it's beautiful, but the story is weak and there isn't a villain in sight. The reunion of the family is lovely though. Easily my least favourite of the Christmas specials. 5/10

Asylum of the Daleks - Now this is how you start a series. Great action-packed episode with lots of Daleks and the biggest surprise ever with JLC turning up earlier than expected. My only problems are that Amy and Rory's divorce seemed kind of pointless and we barely saw much of the classic Daleks. 10/10

Dinosaurs On a Spaceship - I've never really thought much of Chris Chibnall's previous stories. They always seemed to border on boring for me, so you can imagine my delight when I heard he writing 2 stories for this season. I was shocked to discover that this episode is actually one my favourites in the whole run. It's just so much fun and Solomon is a great human villain that we haven't had in a long time. 10/10

A Town Called Mercy - Toby Whithouse always writes great stories and the wild west is great period of history so there's no way this episode could fail. And it didn't. The location shooting gives it that real sense of realism and it looks beautiful. The Gunslinger is another great villain and themes of war and what it can do to a man are well written. 10/10

The Power of Three - We arrive now at the first episode of the series that I can give less than a perfect score too. The concept was interesting, the exploration of Amy and Rory's real life clashing with the Doctor's is well executed and there are some lovely character moments. Where it falls apart is the ending which is one of the most lazy we've had in Who. This really needed to be a 2 parter. 8/10

The Angels Take Manhattan - This episode I was dreading for such a long time. Amy and Rory are my favourite companions and with 11 makes the best team ever in Who. River's return is always welcome and it's lovely to see her here. The Weeping Angels for me have lost all their scare factor. I personally found them to better used as a one time monster. Amy and Rory's death is so heartbreaking and acted perfectly that I just ignore the plot holes it presents when actually thought about. I cry every time I watch it. 10/10

The Snowmen - After the last Christmas special I had no doubt that this one would be much better. Our sort of first proper introduction to Clara is funny and charming and re-introducing Vastra, Jenny and Strax is approved by every fan. What's also special about this episode is the return of the Great Intelligence after last being seen 44 years previously. Richard E. Grant gives a great performance, but I felt he was very underused. The reveal of the new TARDIS interior is perfect and definitely the best design yet. 9/10

The Bells of St. John - Reading about this episode before I saw it, it sounded a lot like The Idiot's Lantern from series 2 and watching it, I felt it was exactly that, but with computers. The episode picks the best bits from previous episodes and while the end result is fun, I feel it is poorly paced and the Spoonheads are yet another Moffat monster which are just there to look good. 7/10

The Rings of Akhaten - This episode really seems to split people. I personally love it. The visuals are stunning, the meeting of Clara's parents is adorable and the music is beautiful. The child actor, who I forget the name of, is also very good and didn't annoy me like I expected her too and The Doctor gives what I think is his incarnation speech. 10/10

Cold War - Mark Gatiss episodes for me are hit and miss. One minute he can be writing something as great as The Unquiet Dead, the next he's writing something as poor as Night Terrors. This episode is just average and my least favourite episode of the series. The Ice Warrior's return is, at first, brilliant, but is then wasted in favour of a CGI beast that we cannot see. At least a dripping wet Clara was something he got right. 7/10

Hide - I love a good ghost story and even though this one turns out to not actually be one, it's still a cracking episode nonetheless. The guest stars are likeable and well-played and the scares in the beginning are genuinely scary. The thing about it being a love story made sense in the end, but I'd rather it just wasn't mentioned. 9/10

Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS - I'm one of the few who liked Stephen Thompson's last effort so I had no quibbles about his return. The title alone told you that this was gonna be a good one. It's great to explore out new TARDIS, even though I feel it would've been nice to see maybe a few more rooms. The guest cast are weak and totally forgettable, but Matt and Jenna make up for it by being on top form as always. 9/10

The Crimson Horror - Another Mark Gattis episode. A supposedly Doctor-lite one of that. No part of me was looking forward to this episode at all. But something happened, it actually turned out to be the best Mark has ever written. Everything about it is just so Doctor Who from the setting to the villain to the concept and the humour. Rachael Stirling gives, what I think, is the best performance of all the guest stars this series. You really care and sympathise with her character. 10/10

Nightmare in Silver - Considering Neil Gaimen wrote one of the best episodes of last series and the Cybermen are my favourite enemy, I was expecting this one to blow my mind. Sadly, it let me down a bit. The great thing about this episode is Matt's performance in portraying the struggle between The Doctor and the Cyberplanner. I thought it brilliant and at times unnerving. Clara's character felt a little off, but not completely wrong so I can look over that. What lets this one down is the use of the Cybermen. The redesign is perfect and hopefully these ones won't be destroyed by love (shudder), but they're appearance felt minimal and I would've liked more conversation out of them, well just other than 'Upgrade in progress'. 8/10

The Name of the Doctor - Perfect. Just prefect. Well, perfect if you overlook the fact that Clara meeting all the Doctor's doesn't hold together because you would've thought he would've noticed her before he reached 1100+, but who cares, we got to see past Doctors (not knew footage, but nevermind) and it was awesome and nostalgic and just put a smile on your face. Richard E. Grant returned to chew scenery like crazy and I loved it! Matt gave his finest performance yet and River's maybe last goodbye(though I doubt it) was bitter-sweet. And that cliffhanger! My jaw dropped. Is there really still 3 months to go? 10/10

Of course, with this not being out yet I can't give my verdict on all the special features, but I can on the ones I have seen like the prequels and BTS features. The prequels are all sweet and charming, I personally like Pond Life the best (Yes, I consider it a prequel). The behind the scenes are short, but it's better than nothing, but at least Confidential is returning so is all is right in the world again I guess. Not really too keen on the episodes they've chosen commentaries for, except for maybe The Snowmen. Also I personally prefer the american box art, but I think I'm in a small group there.

Overall, this has been another fantastic series of Doctor Who, with a great new companion, lots of great stories and great villains. It's not my favourite series (that would still be the sixth), but with the hype building for the 50th anniversary special, it has the potential to be the best episode of Doctor Who ever.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2013 8:21 PM BST

Power Rangers Samurai: Volume 3 - Team Spirit [DVD]
Power Rangers Samurai: Volume 3 - Team Spirit [DVD]
Price: 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold Power!, 25 Jun 2013
It's funny going back to Samurai after watching Shinkenger as it seems it's true that the original is indeed better and it changes the way you watch this show knowing when the sentai footage is and making comparisons in your head over who did what better. That aside, I am here to talk about this volume of Power Rangers Samurai and as such must ignore all knowledge of Samrai Sentai Shinkenger. This volume contains episodes 12 - 17 (Jayden's Challenge, Unexpected Arrival, Room for One More, The Blue and the Gold, Team Spirit and The Tengen Gate) and introduces the Gold Ranger, Antonio, who is a heap of fun and makes the cover of this DVD look as cool as it does.

As with all of Samurai, these episodes are filled with bad puns, colourful visuals and poor acting (I did say before that this was one of my least favourite seasons of PR). It is of course a lot of fun and the two episodes that make up Antonio's introduction are my favourite of Samurai. The reason I'm giving this volume 5 stars this time (I gave the other two four, though I should've given them 5 as well) is because it seems that some actual effort went into making the set worthwhile and the spines of the 3 volumes match up so nicely, not to mention it's Power Rangers.

The release of the 4th volume in 7 weeks will complete the first half of Samurai, should they include the Halloween and Christmas specials on it, Party Monsters and Christmas Together, Friends Forever, though the latter seems unlikely seeing as how channel 5 hasn't even aired it. I'm crossing my fingers in hope they volumes will be released for the second half, Super Samurai, as it would be really nice to have the whole journey. not to mention the fact that Super Samurai is a tad better than Samurai.

Power Rangers Samurai - Vol 2: A New Enemy [DVD]
Power Rangers Samurai - Vol 2: A New Enemy [DVD]
Price: 4.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Decent Collection, 18 Mar 2013
If you've read the description for this DVD you'll have noticed that it says 2 discs, but unfortunately this is false and this is only a 1 disc DVD. There are 6 episodes on this release which as you would logically expect are episodes 6 - 11 (Sticks & Stones, A Fish Out of Water, There Go the Brides, I've Got a Spell on Blue, Forest for the Trees and Test of the Leader), and no special features. The blurb speaks of Antonio which is odd considering he isn't on this volume, but that's obviously just a mistake. Another mistake I spotted after watching it is how on the menu screen it says that it is the volume 1 title 'The Team Unites'. The episodes themselves are just average fillers with character development and the introduction of new Zords, due to it being early in the season still, but great fun nonetheless. I'd definitely recommend you buy this if you're a real fan like I am or even if you're one of those parents buying for their young kids to keep them quiet for a bit. I look forward to the release of the third volume in June which is where the overall story will pick up more.

Merlin Complete BBC Series 5 [DVD]
Merlin Complete BBC Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Morgan
Price: 10.70

4.0 out of 5 stars The Final End, 28 Dec 2012
*SPOILERS AHEAD* I put off writing this review until I had watched both parts of the final episode again, just to be sure on how I felt about the ending. Because this is the last season, I am going to go over briefly some thoughts about previous seasons as well. I want to get it out the way that this season is definitely not the worst and is by no means bad, but it should've have been better. After reading that last sentence, you're probably wondering why I'm giving the season four stars? Well that's just fan denial and I couldn't bare to give it three, but knowing me, after I've watched the season as a whole again I'll probably be happy with four. Merlin has always been something of a slow-burner, building things up, occasionally knocking them down and without a doubt frustrating a loyal and committed fan base. I think most people can admit that the first season, while strong and entertaining, is by far the weakest, but that's mostly due to it being first and needing time to find it's feet. The second season was much better and was really starting to put the blocks in place. The third and fourth seasons are where the show truly knows what it wants to be and a result come off as confident.

I will now start talking about this current and final season, but I would first like to briefly talk about Morgana's imprisonment between this and the previous season. Before this season started, the creators of the show kept mentioning it like it was of huge importance, but it turned out to be nothing more then vaguely flash backed to in episode 2 and briefly mentioned in episode 8. This went no where in adding to her character or even having any major consequences further down the line, so why bother telling us at all?

I think it's fair to say that the first half was stronger than the second. It opened with a great two parter, reintroducing Mordred, now played by an actor who is obviously taking the role seriously and does tremendous justice to the character (which will reach its peak in the best episode of the season, but more on that later. The Death Song of Uther Pendragon was great, emotional episode and I think everyone was happy to see the return of Anthony Head. The next episode, Another's Sorrow, was, admittedly, an average one, but funnily enough I really do like it. The fifth episode is the worst of the season and absolutely boring, as it is exactly the same as 'The Crystal Cave' from season 3. The Dark Tower is the second best episode this season and if you've seen it I really don't need to say anymore, however the ending sets up the 'Dark Gwen' story arc, which in my opinion is where the season dips and really disappoints. I found it to be filler, unnecessary and should have been done in an earlier season. The Kindness of Strangers is a brilliant episode and has a really shock ending. My favourite episode, The Drawing of the Dark, is just perfection. Alexander Vlahos puts everything into his performance here and really pays off in making us care about him and taking his side, but to be fair Kara had it coming. It also contains that long awaited reveal of Emrys being Merlin to Morgana and it's brilliant.

I want to end this by talking about those last episodes. How were they? Well, they weren't what they should have been, which is disappointing to be sure, but I can't rant about something that didn't happen and have to accept what did happen and examine it for what it was. The first part of The Diamond of the Day is a very good build up, which plenty of great moments, the best of which being the return of John Lynch as Merlin's father Balinor. The scenes between him and Merlin are well acted, emotional and remind you of what you're going to miss when the show ends. It also contains the start of a well choreographed and exciting battle which well sadly end swiftly, if epicly, at the beginning of part two. And part two is where most of the problems lay, so let's get the negatives out the way first. Gwaine's Death (like Allan 'A Dale's in BBC's Robin Hood) was unnecessary and just annoys fans when (again just like Allan 'A Dale) happens to a character who is beloved and has been underused (for 2 seasons). Morgana's death was just stupid. Here in the scene, we have Merlin, the greatest sorcerer to ever live and Morgana, a high priestess, in what should have been a grand battle displaying a full range of their magical abilities is instead reduced to simple taunting and a simple stabbing. I'm sorry, what? Also just the whole episode (after those first ten minutes) just had a very slow pace about it, when really it should have been more exciting and have a more pressing sense or urgency. I mean, why didn't Merlin just call Kilgharrah to take him and Arthur straight to the lake of Avalon? Ok yeah when he eventually does he says that he tried not due to the dragon's injuries and such, but his best friend is dying, surely it was worth the risk?

There's no way I could write this review without talking about the reveal of Merlin's Magic to Arthur. Was it worth it in the end? Was it a moment that should have been the highlight of the entire series? Well, kind of. The fact of the matter is there was no build up to it and just happened. Merlin has been in many situations where Arthur is dying so why now? BUT on the other hand it was so perfectly acted and both Colin and Bradley pitched their reactions so realistically that I can forgive it because it it opens up the best thing about the episode - the intense focus on their friendship. It'd be cruel of me not to mention how superbly every actor plays their role in this show, but these two are by far the best. They are, what I believe, the reason to be why people love this show so much. When Arthur does die, you really feel it, mostly due to Merlin's reaction and clear heartbreak and yes at that point I was crying. And that last scene? I found it kind of stupid, as it isn't quite clear as to whether Merlin is immortal or can just live a really long time, but he's the greatest sorcerer to ever live so I'm he worked something out and as such I found it to be bitter sweet in the end.

I think this is the longest review I have ever written on here and it's easy to see why, I had a lot I wanted to talk about. I, like many, am going to miss Merlin and hope that those talks of a film or two come to pass as I would like a more solid closure (Are people allowed to practice magic freely now or what?), but if not then I'm at least satisfied with what we got. Goodbye Merlin, and thank you.

Wizards vs Aliens Series 1 [DVD]
Wizards vs Aliens Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Scott Haran
Price: 6.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Strong Start, 21 Dec 2012
I'm surprised that nobody else has posted a review yet, but that's why I'm here now I guess. WvA was made as a sort-of replacement for The Sarah Jane Adventures after the wonderful Elisabeth Sladen passed away. The main plot of the show is pretty much in the title, with aliens harvesting the magic from wizards as a kind of energy supply. The series is made up of 6 2-parters, all of which are really well made, even if they all share a few flaws, but it's its first season so it's to be expected. The main characters consist of Tom and Benny, who are likeable enough, but we sometimes have to wonder why they're suddenly such good friends despite the bullying Tom gives Benny at the beginning of the series. The second story of the season 'Grazlax Attacks' is in my opinion the best as it is a nice little monster story that reminds you of movies like 'Gremlins'. The season has an emotional and satisfying last story that promises more in the second season. Overall, I found this first season to be funny, exciting and very entertaining and cannot wait for the next.

Power Rangers Samurai Vol.1 The Team Unites (Nickelodeon, Channel 5) [DVD]
Power Rangers Samurai Vol.1 The Team Unites (Nickelodeon, Channel 5) [DVD]
Price: 9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Rangers Together, 29 Oct 2012
Being a Power Rangers fan since I was 6 (now 18) I have seen many different teams and many different stories. I was heartbroken when it was cancelled back in 2009, but was over the moon when I heard Saban had bought the rights back would be giving us a new season the year after. I have never watched the source material, Super Sentai, so when fans who have complain about this series being a translation of its counterpart, Shinkenger, the problem doesn't bother me. What I can see are the obvious flaws in this series (not helped by a rushed production), but that doesn't stop me from having fun with it. It is far from my favourite season (that will always be Time Force), but it's still good and maintains a complete contrast to the previous season, RPM. This release contains the first 5 episodes (Origins - Parts 1 & 2, The Team Unites, Deal With a Nighlok and Day Off. As well as the Clash of the Red Rangers 'movie'). There's a mistake on the blurb of the Dvd that states Mia and Emily are the others colours and Origins has the mistake of having the title sequence that includes Antonio. These episodes are the ones seen on channel 5 and not the edited versions shown on Nickelodeon. COTRR is edited into its rightful movie format, instead of the two parts it has always been shown in. Special features are non-existent, apart from a trailer for the toys (if that counts). Overall this a decent release, packed with a good chunk of episodes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2013 5:58 PM BST