Profile for Dr. G > Reviews

Content by Dr. G

Dr. G "C. Groves" (Nottingham UK)

Belgariad 2: Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad (RHCP))
Belgariad 2: Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad (RHCP))
by David Eddings

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying Language, 5 Dec 2014
Methinks this is a book for Quakers! And will someone tell David Eddings that Legionnaires is a disease & not a military unit!

Reddmango ANGORA MR118 4GB Digital Audio Player
Reddmango ANGORA MR118 4GB Digital Audio Player
Offered by Storage Depot Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Machine With A Mind Of Its Own!, 25 Jun 2014
This bloody machine will only do what it wants to do despite what you (try) & tell it. It took 24 hours to download the songs from i-Tunes. It continues to repeat songs (despite the fact that it doesen't have a repeat function!) & it ignores the shuffle & other function & just plays what it feels like. However, when it does decide to play shuffle it whizzes along until it decides to stop. I discovered that if U take the battery out (not a problen as after a few hours it just falls out & as the other reviews say you have to resort to sticky tape!) & put it in again it might just play correct & today it did that for about 2 hours! On the plus side it can hold hundreds of songs & although others said the headphones were no good I thought they sounded ok & the volume control was also fine. The battery seems to last for ages but as others say I recommend Duracell AAA if U want power for ages & beware of the multi-pack batteries on a card such as the £1 shops sell & even worse - don't buy them on a multi-card from that man outside Tottenham Court Rd. Underground Station! To sum up: if you're happy to be dictated to & like it to be in control then buy it - if not then buy an Apple product: after all, U get what U pay for don't U.

Nights of Villjamur: Legends of the Red Sun: Book One
Nights of Villjamur: Legends of the Red Sun: Book One
by Mark Charan Newton

2.0 out of 5 stars All Over The Place, 28 April 2014
I totally agree with Nicola from N.I. - the characters & also the 'story' are all over the place. What's needed is a list of characters (as with those great books by George Martin) because you tend to forget who's who. The violence is very repulsive, the sex suddenly disappears behind closed doors & we are left totally frustrated. The only really exciting (& understandable) part of the book is the end - this is good & leaves the reader hungry for the next book - which I'm, now on & it seems a lot better. I bought the two first books together so will plod on but won't be buying the next books but will await longingly for the next George Martin's 'big freeze'.

Myrren's Gift: The Quickening Book One
Myrren's Gift: The Quickening Book One
by Fiona McIntosh

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting First Novel, 22 April 2014
It's always difficult to launch a first book & I found this one most exciting. Of course it's filed under 'fantasy' & fortunetely there's not too much fantasy, but - surprise surprise - a love story! Many so-called historical 'fantasy' books concentrate too much on the fantasy theme rather than the love/everyday life theme but here we get a good blend (although when the 'fantasy' bit comes it really comes with a bang! I look forward to the follow on books, mainly for the reason of how he/she is going to get out of their situation at the end! One major (academic) criticism however: soldiers in a legion are known as 'Legionaries' what Fiona calls them is a disease!

Dr. Colin Groves

The Gates of Troy (Adventures of Odysseus)
The Gates of Troy (Adventures of Odysseus)
by Glyn Iliffe

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Homer's Version, 17 Feb 2014
If I had written about Homer's epic when I studied Classics at university telling the story like this my tutor would surely have wondered why it was a completely different version of one of the greatest ever tragic love stories.. This writer has written HIS own version of the tale. If you want the 'facts' (insofar as a legend contains facts) then read Helen's story by Bettany Hughes - & if Bettany's story had been written when I was a classics student, & I had used it for an essay, then I would have run away with prizes! This writer completely misleads the reader by telling his own version & I would ask him if he's ever heard of the (then) island of Kranai? If I ever had the urge to write a novel of Helen then I would be sorely tempted to describe her tender naked bottom being grazed by the sharp rocks of this wild island when she first made love with Paris, but the last word must belong to Bettany. So reader if you want the 'facts' then read Helen of Troy: Goddess, Princess, Whore by Bettany Hughes - & if you want exciting novels then read (as our other reviewer suggested) David Gemmell - or even better (but sadly out of print), George Shipway's two novels of the Trojan War.

The Distant Hours
The Distant Hours
by Kate Morton

4.0 out of 5 stars As always a great read, 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Distant Hours (Paperback)
As with all of Kate's books, it has a really great ending & I really love the atmosphere of Milderhurst Castle. The reader really feels as if they are there with the writer.

Kate might have grown up in Australia but she certainly understands the inefficiency of the British postal system!

The House at Riverton
The House at Riverton
by Kate Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars Took A Chance & Read It, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: The House at Riverton (Paperback)
I have to admit I was rather late coming to this book (actually yesterday)& I was frequently told by my son (who's at present living in N.S.W.) to give it a go - so go I did & it's now finished after 2 days. It's really such a loving & tender book & says much of what is now taught in schools - social history. However it did make me wonder: I read this book AFTER watching Downton Abbey & I'm certain I can assume that this excellent & so popular (I watched recent transmissions in Finland) TV series was written AFTER the publication of Kate's book? And I'm also wondering if Julian Fellowes actually read this book before writing Downton? I think you've got my point.

Anyway,thank you Kate & 'The Forgotten Garden' is now at tonight's bedside.

Our Lady of the Forest
Our Lady of the Forest
by David Guterson

1.0 out of 5 stars Not written In English, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Our Lady of the Forest (Paperback)
Would somebody like to tell what language this book is written in?

I've looked up most of the words I don't understand & they're certainly not in my dictionary.

Dr. Colin Groves

Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea)
Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea)
by John Stack

4.0 out of 5 stars Masters of Rome - Ship of Rome, 7 Dec 2011
A good first novel & it's nice to know that he used the term 'Legionaries' rather than making the mistake that so many writers make by using the term 'Legionairs' - which I think is a disease! However, I did notice a couple of mistakes: during the time in which the novel is set there was no word in latin for 'volcano' (even in the time of Pompeii) and also crucifiction involved nails driven through the wrists rather than the hands.