Profile for starman1969 > Reviews

The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins
Price: 5.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Real eye opener, 3 May 2014
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
I've been a bit of a Richard Dawkins fanboy ever since I saw his Channel Four shows 'Enemies of Reason', so it was only natural that I would want this book. It does take some reading, and some parts of it go over my head but it is a very interesting subject and Mr Dawkins doesn't hold back against his 'enemies'.

Hoya 77mm Neutral Density NDx400 Filter
Hoya 77mm Neutral Density NDx400 Filter
Offered by World Wide Glosell_Europe
Price: 61.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for those dreamy water effects, 3 May 2014
Very good high power ND filter which is excellent for those dreamy water or rolling cloud images. Only problem is it's so dark you need to compose your image before putting it on.

Nikon Tc-14E Af-S Teleconverter Ii
Nikon Tc-14E Af-S Teleconverter Ii

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 3 May 2014
I used this with the 300mm f/4 which was purchased at the same time and the quality was exceptional. I could tell little, or no difference in IQ when the TC was used. The AF speed also did not suffer when used in good light.

QUMOX Time Lapse Intervalometer Remote Timer Shutter for Nikon D800 D800E D700 D300 D200
Offered by Locoisle777
Price: 13.86

5.0 out of 5 stars So much easier than the built in Nikon timer, 3 May 2014
I now own three of these type of intervalometers. The brand name means little because they are all essentially the same unit, albeit with minor differences between them. I specifically use them with my Nikon bodies for timed exposures of the night sky, star trails etc. They also come in handy for tripping the exposure when I have my camera on a tracking mount for long exposure astrophotography.

The main reason I use these intervalometers is the ease of use. Anyone who has tried to program the built in interval timer on the Nikon series of bodies may well have torn out their hair in frustration at how difficult it is. Maybe it's just me, but I could never get the hang of it. I had another look at it again last week but it was still a job for Albert Einstein.

They feel a bit plasticy and I had to replace one after the metal sleeve on the GPS plug came off which resulted in the connection breaking. The three I've had since have been ok. If you want to do long exposure night photography or star trails this intervalometer is a must.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED Lens (discontinued by manufacturer)
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED Lens (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic quality at a reasonable price, 27 Aug 2012
I can only agree with the above reviews

I had been searching around for a telephoto lens for a while, after getting into wildlife photography. I already have a few lenses, such as an 18-200mm vr and a 70-200mm f/2.8 vr, but I needed a bit more reach + I also wanted to get a teleconverter to go with it.

I looked long and hard at the Bigma Sigmas, the 150-500 and the 50-500mm's. I also read reviews on the Nikon 80-400mm. The Nikons' 200-400mm and 300mm f/2.8 being well out of my price range. On consulting a Flickr contact who uses the 300mm f/4 to shoot wildlife, I decided to go for this.

I am very pleased I did get this lens because it has enabled me to take some of my best ever photos. The autofocus is very fast and does not seem to slow up, even with a Nikon TC-1.4II which I bought to go with it. The quality does not seem to suffer when using this teleconverter, also. I generally stop down one stop for most images, so if i'm on 300mm I'll stop to f5.6 and if using the converter I'll stop to f8. Either way the bokeh produced is very pleasing indeed. I have taken pictures of fast flying birds, and have been amazed at the success rate of the focusing.
I think this lens is very well built, too. It is quite heavy, but has a solid professional feel to it. I have heard about the tripod collar's weaknesses, but to be honest I have not had a problem with it. This is probably because I mainly use it on a monopod.

I can only look forward to taking better and better images with this lens in the future.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work fine, 12 Feb 2012
I've not used it for long, but it seems to be a good pointer. I use it mainly to point out stars in the sky.
The extra gizmos it comes with, such as the effect lenses are quite spectacular but a bit gimmicky and not really any use to me. They are fun, if thats what you want.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome camera!, 12 Feb 2012
I bought a D7000 as a temporary measure because I had a D300 stolen. I was supposed to be getting a new D300/s, but I was so impressed by the quality of the D7000, I ended up keeping it.
If i do eventually replace my D300 with a newer model I will probably still keep this camera as a spare body.
Recently I have been taking some of my best photos ever, with this camera. Its ability to handle noise at high ISO's is remarkable. The dynamic range is also high.

I can't really fault it other than that the body is quite small for my liking, and if you want to use big glass,ie 70-200mm 2.8 you will need a grip/battery pack.

The many reviews speak for themselves.